Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2018, 01:08 AM

12,229 posts, read 21,511,926 times

Advertisements

I’m a huge potato lover, but roasted potatoes are one of my least favorite ways to enjoy them.

Not to say they are bad - there is NO bad potato in my book.

I love mashed potatoes and do serve them with other meals, but I’d be very disappointed in a Thanksgiving menu that did not include them.

No green bean casserole for me either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2018, 04:54 AM

51,654 posts, read 25,836,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobber View Post
Oh dear re the green bean casserole - I think I'd have to pass on that, though your made-from-scratch version sounds nice!

Gravy is really good with roast potatoes - in fact over here you'd be in trouble if you didn't serve a good, meaty gravy to go with them.

Ah, a pitcher! I was sure I was missing out on some fancy French gizmo for serving cocktails, and could ask for one for Christmas!

Thanks for clarifying!
No problem.

I think the reason most folks don't roast potatoes is that the turkey camps out in the oven for hours on end, and there are still the rolls to bake, the sweet potatoes casserole. the gawdawful green bean casserole, ...

There is something about a plate of turkey chunks with spoonful of cranberry relish, a side of Stove Top dressing, a puddle of gravy in the middle of a mound of mashed potatoes, green bean casserole, a dinner roll, and red Jello salad with mandarin oranges that just feels right at Thanksgiving.

It connects me to generations of family who gathered to eat this same lackluster, carb heavy meal.

Old 11-20-2018, 05:05 AM

51,654 posts, read 25,836,151 times
Has anyone used mashed potatoes to thicken the gravy?

We have a gluten intolerant family member and I could use corn starch, but read about using mashed potatoes and wondered how that worked out in reality.

Old 11-20-2018, 05:46 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,959,349 times
My sister in law just texted me and said she's bringing heavy cream to make homemade whipped cream. I told her "I've already got two containers of cream but go ahead and bring it - we can never have too much whipped cream!"

Today I am making the cornbread, boiling the eggs, and sauteeing the celery and onions to get ready to assemble the cornbread dressing Thursday. Husband is picking up the spiral cut ham and a pecan pie we ordered. Family is coming in this evening and I'm making a batch of chicken and dumplings (grandbaby request) and more cornbread, and my husband is trying out the new Traeger grill with a brisket.

Oh, and I'm making a rum cake today too - gotta let the rum soak in over the next few days! My daughter texted me and she managed to snag me a gorgeous vintage amberina cake stand - WOOHOO! So we need a cake to sit on top of it!

Tomorrow night should be clear and coldish (lows in the forties) - we plan to eat chicken and dumpling and brisket leftovers and then build a big fire in the fire pit and make S'Mores with the grandkids while my husband makes his famous KGB drinks for the adults! (one shot each of Kahlua, Grand Marnier, and Baileys - shaken with ice - OMG). Earlier in the day tomorrow, we are going to go see my mom, who has advanced dementia and lives in a memory care center nearby. The grandkids play musical instruments and have put together a little recital for the folks there - they seemed to really enjoy that last year. Sad to say this, but this is probably my mom's last Thanksgiving, so it will be poignant.

Old 11-20-2018, 05:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkmax View Post
^ I've never had baked beans with Thanksgiving dinner, but I've seen it on a few menus this year. I do love baked beans!

Is anyone else doing their turkey and/or ham the day before? I did it last year, and I had no regrets, so I'm gonna do the same thing this year. I'd much rather get all of that work out of the way beforehand. Then, I can slice up the meat, deal with the carcasses, wash up the big pans that they're going in, etc. ahead of time. Plus, if I mess up the timing or something, I have some leeway!

Leaves me room in my oven for my casseroles, too.

We always buy a smoked turkey and a precooked spiral cut honey baked ham. NO COOKING OF MEAT. I love it that way.

Old 11-20-2018, 05:51 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,400,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Do you not know to whom you speak?!!
Sure now you have me looking up greens and pears recipes. Just what I need....more food to make, lol. I am doing my final shopping this morning. If it's not in the house by today I'm not making it, lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobber View Post
We don't do Thanksgiving here in Australia, but I've enjoyed reading this thread about your menus. I do have some questions:

What the heck is a green bean casserole?

Are mashed potatoes considered 'special' in the US? Many of you have them on your Thanksgiving menu. Here we would be more likely to have roast potatoes with a special meal (especially if already roasting a bird or piece of meat), or maybe some fancy potato dish like dauphinoise or something. Mashed potato is an everyday type dish here.

Happy Thanksgiving to you all.
I'm not a fan of the traditional green bean casserole or the yam and marshmallow casserole. The green bean one is like mush to me Then again my family never made it when I was growing up so not something I ever got used to. I do like a mashed sweet potato casserole

I love roasted potatoes with seasonings but for me I like it more with a beef meal. Mashed potatoes with gravy are a traditional Thanksgiving dish.

Old 11-20-2018, 05:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ylisa7 View Post

Oh yum. How early do you make your rum cake? And recipe please
No problem - it's like the easiest recipe in the world. Yes, it's cheating and I don't care! It's delicious.

https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/7364/easy-rum-cake/

Old 11-20-2018, 05:56 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,400,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
Has anyone used mashed potatoes to thicken the gravy?

We have a gluten intolerant family member and I could use corn starch, but read about using mashed potatoes and wondered how that worked out in reality.

My mother always used potato water and Wondra(fine flour). I'm not sure if the potato water really thickened the gravy or not Try it with the cornstarch. I'm sure it will be fine and your relative will really appreciate it.

If it is only one person you can also buy one of these in case it doesn't work out
https://www.target.com/p/mccormick-g...B&gclsrc=aw.ds

Old 11-20-2018, 06:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
Ah, green bean casserole. Frozen green beans and cream of mushroom soup topped with French fried onions from a can. Not sure how it ended up being a Thanksgiving staple, but it shows up every year. It always gets eaten, but it's not tasty enough to make an appearance any other time of year.

I've tried fancy it up with fresh green beens, homemade mushroom sauce and crispy fried shallots. But folks were disappointed not to get the gloopy variety.

There are those who do fancy roasted potatoes or scalloped potatoes. But then what do you put the gravy on? The dressing?

Pitchers of cocktails. Our gathering includes several who really shouldn't be drinking, so we serve three different drinks. Warm mulled apple cider in a crock pot, and two pitchers of punch that remind us of cocktails but without the booze.

This year one pitcher has cranberry cocktail juice, pineapple juice, and ginger ale. I freeze pineapple tidbits in their juice and use these for ice cubes along with frozen cranberries and lime slices.

The other pitcher has grapefruit juice. Folks pour it into their glass, top with ginger ale and a splash of grenadine.
I enjoyed this post! (Among others - fun thread!)

I just realized that I FORGOT TO BUY A WHOLE CHICKEN when we did the shopping extravaganza today. YIKES! Oh well, I have time to correct that.

We tried a healthy, made from scratch and organic "green bean casserole" one year and BLECH. It went over about like a lead balloon. So we are back to the unhealthy kind. We do add almonds to ours, if that makes a difference! We never made it when my kids were little (or when I was little) but my son in law from Iowa loves it so now it's included.

We put our gravy on the dressing and all over the meat. We don't make any sort of potatoes other than a sweet potato casserole which doesn't pair well with gravy since it's got marshmallows on top of it - LOL.

I like your pitchers of cocktails. We don't have that though I did buy several bottles of wine yesterday. We will be having some KGBs around the fire pit Wednesday night though - those are one shot each of Kahlua, Grand Marnier, and Baileys, shaken with ice. YUM. Watch out - they will sneak up on you!

Kids get hot chocolate or hot cider - can take their pick.

Old 11-20-2018, 09:33 AM

12,045 posts, read 8,429,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkmax View Post
Last year, I just drizzled some chicken stock all over the sliced turkey before I put it in the refrigerator for the evening. Then, I splashed a little more on it before reheating. Turned out nice and juicy.

Hope your refrigerator issues are figured out soon! Not the right time for them, that's for sure!
Thanks, Ikmax. Chef Daughter called last night and suggested that method, too!

Refrigerator is purring like a kitten. Just always frustrating to have to get tools out, greasy hands, everything moved around while getting ready for the festivities and it seems to happen so frequently. Guess I can be glad to be married to a Mr. Fixit kinda guy.

I remember when we'd visit his folks on the farm the men always had some reason to fuss with a motor or something during holidays. Tradition? Uncomfortable with sitting around in the house with relatives? Maybe it's the men who deliberately sabotage something so they can show off their "fixing" prowess while the women are in the kitchen showing off their "fixins" prowess?

All you younger folks have to forgive how ancient and role-specific that story sounds. I bring tidings of a different era. (As a young bride I used to sneak out to the machine shed to have a beer with the men. You can't imagine what a scandal that caused in the family.) Women didn't drink. They cooked. Men sneaked away and tinkered and imbibed.

Maybe the "fixing" stuff was just an excuse to go out to the shed and have a preprandial aperitif?

Daughter has a huge veggie garden and will be bringing a cheesy carrot casserole and a from-scratch green bean casserole. Hers is very tasty but it's not the same as that one from the cans.

She says, (just like I said the other day on here) "It's that fresh from the can taste you can't duplicate." Said she'd been at friend's earlier in the week and had a couple of spoonsful because, well, you gotta.

I can hear in everyone's "voice" the anticipation is growing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink