Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-05-2009, 07:45 AM

12,229 posts, read 21,505,594 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by skbs View Post
Well Debsi it wouldn't be a real party without YOU! Who would make our Tacos?
Quote:
Originally Posted by satx56 View Post
Who said tacos??
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomadicus View Post
Most likely Debsi will have a stash...Maybe Friday night's supper for me.
Oh dear, that's taco allusions to the 3rd power... those are some seriously exponential taco cravings! Haven't made them in quite a while.. dear me. I do have a big stack of corn tortillas in the fridge right now.. hmmm...

We ended up with tuna fish sandwiches on buns last night. Hamburgers tonight instead. Got a bunch in the freezer to use up from the party.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elston View Post
Some tomatoes are called "indeterminant" and keep bearing and ripening over the course of the summer....these ones also keep growing and climbing and need lots of support. The othr type ?determinant??? were developed by commercial growers like Hunt and Heinz and they tend to bear and ripen all at once--and then they are pretty much spent.....it was easier to pick and harvest and process that way. So if you have the indeterminant varieties....they will keep you in a few tomatoes over a long time.....the other will overwhelm you with more tomatoes than you can keep up with ...... and then thats all she wrote. Its in the genes.

A good article about the types of tomatoes that I was trying to describe. Determinate vs. Indeterminate: What is a Determinate or Indeterminate Tomato?
Very interesting! Thanks Elston.

My topsyturvy has 4 little green tomatoes on it (Celebrity toms) and one looks like it wants to start turning red. I have so not had the informercial topsy turvy experience of 100's of tomatoes & I did everything they said!

My roma tomatoes in the back yard still have loads of flowers, are extremely healthy lush and green, 4 feet tall, two feet wide, and ZERO tomatoes.
Farmer John I ain't.

Old 08-05-2009, 07:55 AM

Location: Finally made it to Florida and lovin' every minute!
22,677 posts, read 19,263,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cynwldkat View Post
I'll bet you are so excited!! I had my counters put in last year and oh my it is wonderful! It's like getting a second lease on life!! Keep us posted on how they are coming...
Be careful with all the lightening--only since my move here did I realize just how dangerous it can be. Heck, in CA we saw lightening only a few times and it was never anything like it is here!!

We picked up some really nice rib eye steaks yesterday so that is what our dinner is going to be--IF it doesn't rain! All we need is a short time to get them grilled so I'll keep my fingers crossed.

Back to work......
Lightening used to scare the u-no-what outta me, but since we moved to the lightening capital of the world, I decided I'd best get used to it. It's not like I can control it, right?

Rib eyes sound SOOOO good right now!

Old 08-05-2009, 08:00 AM

3,273 posts, read 2,969,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by younglisa7 View Post
No tomatoes yet. How long do they take?
Don't cry Lisa, I have 4 large green tomatoes, that are taking forever to turn red. This is the first year we haven't had at least one tomato at the end of July. The weather wasn't sunny enough throughout June to make them grow faster. Now, I'll be inundated with tomatoes in September and I won't be here.

Old 08-05-2009, 08:40 AM

7,336 posts, read 2,742,977 times
Just received the wonderful news that my coworker who was injured on the job Monday night is doing better than expected! That takes quite a load off my mind! So...was going to fix tacos today, but found out we are having a "taco party" at work tomorrow night. That changed todays menu to, hmmmm, enchiladas? Santa Fe style, of course! By the way, when you are all on your road trip don't forget to stop by here....I will have gallons of salsa waiting on you!

Old 08-05-2009, 08:47 AM

12,229 posts, read 21,505,594 times
Apparently a universal force is gently whispering sweet taco nothings in my ears...for some strange reason the universe sounds like Antonio Banderas

tortilla .... tacqueria ... salsa caliente.. my my my.

Old 08-05-2009, 08:51 AM

21,956 posts, read 24,311,123 times
Did you hear it too? Now I really want tacos...maybe one day this week. Oh my, I would love some of I Am Womans salsa!! YUMMY! Just snuck on here to see who and what is going on...back to ugh, work!

Last edited by cynwldkat; 08-05-2009 at 10:11 AM..

Old 08-05-2009, 09:14 AM

259,024 posts, read 90,595,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northwoods Voyager View Post
I needed some good laughs tonight and y'all have provided them...This thread has taken a great direction....well, direct to Missouri with kshe at the helm, that is.....So you are coming my way soon??????? I'll thaw some venison sausage and have the crackers (all types) and many cheeses ready for y'all. Oh, and many of god Missouri wines to wash it all down with. ( notice all of the sentences ending with a preposition??? ) pure Midwest or PA Dutch.

We have St. James, Augusta, Hermann, Bland, and many other towns around with some of the best tasting wines. See y'all soon, I hope. Have a great spot for a whole hog roast also!!!!
Glad we could entertain NWV...

Tonight we will splurge on the pizza special....Large loaded down pizza for under $10 is well worth giving my wife the night off. I'll give some more thought to the trip as I nap and graze my way through the day.

Old 08-05-2009, 09:19 AM

3,273 posts, read 2,969,763 times
Good morning!

I finished making dogmom's recipe for Shrimp Salad, we'll be having that for dinner tonight. DH LOVES shrimp salad and I never made it for him all these years.

Anyway, I need to vacuum, and then I'm going to watch a movie; it's too hot and humid to do anything outside.

Have a great day!

Old 08-05-2009, 09:20 AM

259,024 posts, read 90,595,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
Morning, y'all! Rereading thread from last night, it sure was fun!
I am soooooo excited about going home, I couldnt sleep last night, just like a child, LOL!
I need a really, really easy recipe for tonight, not in the mood to cook, I have ground beef, potatoes and onions, any suggestions?
kshe we had the same a few days ago. Me wife just browns the scrambled burger meat in an iron skillet and adds diced potatoes and onions to it until the potatoes are done. I drown my in good ketchup and love it. You can add jalapenos or touch of garlic if you like or other spice or seasoning you may prefer..

Old 08-05-2009, 09:39 AM

48,133 posts, read 22,004,457 times
You have the basics.....I believe hamburger helper has made a fortune out of putting those exact ingredients in a box......I would scramble and brown up the hamburg and onions....add a little flour to the fat....to make a roux....add milk or water to make the sauce and make mashed potatoes and put the meat and onion stuff over the mashed or boiled potatoes.....We were brought up on that mixture....if you have a can of peas or corn....serve it on the side.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink