Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-27-2009, 09:13 PM

11 posts, read 23,354 times

Advertisements

Well, via lots of research... the general consensus is stay away from the cape. Crime is bad, city infrastructure sucks and it is a ghost town that is affordable for the criminals.
Leigh Acres is no better...
Basically South, South West Fort Myers, Near Daniels ave seems to be "UpScale and rather Unadulterated". Bonita Springs and some parts of Naples are choice too.
Here is another rub though, Something you all have that we do not is "Gated COmmunities". I would assume that mean "Home owners association"? I am sick of ridiculous HOA covenants that dictate what I can do with my property. And then having to pay BS quarterly fees for it to boot. Any input on this would be appreciated.

Old 06-27-2009, 09:21 PM

24 posts, read 41,333 times
Its a nice place. Yes there's canals everywhere in Florida. Yes, there is beaches :]

Old 06-28-2009, 06:34 AM

159 posts, read 551,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vIce^gRip View Post
Well, via lots of research... the general consensus is stay away from the cape. Crime is bad, city infrastructure sucks and it is a ghost town that is affordable for the criminals.
Basically South, South West Fort Myers, Near Daniels ave seems to be "UpScale and rather Unadulterated". Bonita Springs and some parts of Naples are choice too.
Here is another rub though, Something you all have that we do not is "Gated COmmunities". I would assume that mean "Home owners association"? I am sick of ridiculous HOA covenants that dictate what I can do with my property. And then having to pay BS quarterly fees for it to boot. Any input on this would be appreciated.
Better do some more research.

Todays paper states that some of the homes sold recently are being bought up by Canandiens because there dollar.

I have ownwed here since 3/02 in The Yacht Club area and some interiour homes (off water) are being scoped up, re-done and gone within 4-6 weeks.

So I have seen the ups and the downs and things a re trending upwards again even though it's small for now

I just had an appraisal done for a re-fi and my home still came in at 300K, granted 2 1/1 lots (100X125) full dock, 2 boat lifts, SAILBOAT ACCESS and my home was built in 1964

http://www.news-press.com/article/20...906280369/1075

Old 06-28-2009, 09:01 AM

2,356 posts, read 5,091,624 times
Quote:
it's actually low crime for it's size and not a ghost town 165k population, so that part of the general consensus is off base. the general consensus of high unemployment, poor quality of building, and a city government that likes to spend is pretty accurate. I would personally take a trip to anywhere I was contemplating living as opposed to making decisions based off strangers opinions.

Old 06-28-2009, 07:36 PM

Thanks for the feedback...
In 2 weeks I am going down to scout the area for 3 days. I have family that has lived in both the Cape and FM. I have been there for about 2 weeks before, but that was about 10 years ago.

Bill... I have been reading the News-Press, NBC2, cape-coral-daily-breeze and other sources.
I have even read that Canadian article and as I read it, that is yet another steak in the heart for the CAPE. They are snowbirds, that will rent the homes out 11.5 months of the year, thus leaving the community to deal with the rift they let live there, or just a plain vacant home (prime burglary target) while they are back home in Canada. Rentals have No vested interest in the community. I see that here and it exists everywhere. Well, that is only my opinion.
I have read this thread from start to end and I have seen your strong defense of the Cape waiver a bit Bill as things that others said would happen 2-3 years ago came to fruition. I definitely do respect your view though as someone who is living the reality of it regardless! I kinda recall you stating what you paid for your home, but could not find it. Maybe it was someone else. What is the the difference from then to now? About break even? From the sounds of it you have a more saught after property than the interior homes.

Kev...When I use the term "ghost town" I was speaking of the vacant homes, abandoned uncompleted homes and the vacant lots being used for dump and storage sites. Not to mention the virtual halt of city infrastructure. I have read the city has had huge shortfalls in budgets and that only burdens the businesses, (Closing and or leaving) and the residents, (walking out).
We are at about 450K population and though our news is riddled with crime the majority of it is White and Blue collar crime with a few assaults and homicides tossed in. I'd have to task your comment that, "crime ain't that bad for your population". Day for day you already have twice as many Drug & violent crimes than we do. If you doubled the population to equal ours that that would be 4 times the amount of crime we currently have.

Regardless, I do understand that what is reported is mostly the darkest side of the reality that exists on a daily basis. I still am asking of you all... what are the things that I should be asking and/or looking for. What areas are definite No-No's and what are the hidden BS that one might not think about until it is too late. Please bare in mind that 2 girls under 10 are involved in this potential move. They are my PRIORITY.
Please forgive me if I appear combative, I have been reading and am torn by the facts and common sense. The facts seem to support the common sense though. I am looking for the other things that I did not think to ask yet.

Thanks again!

Old 06-28-2009, 07:47 PM

SOURCE: http://www.nbc-2.com/News/CapeCoral/ (broken link)
Just some of the reports that concern me and all these were this week alone.

Police search for suspects in vicious beating
Updated: 8:07 PM
Investigators are asking for the public's help to track down four people who allegedly attacked a man in his Cape Coral home.

Cape woman tied up during robbery
Updated: 6/26/2009 1:24:19 PM
A Cape Coral woman was tied up as two men robbed her early Friday morning - all while her two children slept just feet away.

80-year-old man assaulted, robbed
Updated: 6/24/2009 10:17:11 PM
An 80-year-old Cape Coral man was assaulted and robbed in his own front yard. He says he's just happy to still be alive.

Last edited by vIce^gRip; 06-28-2009 at 08:06 PM..

Old 06-28-2009, 08:55 PM

6,218 posts, read 7,729,420 times
Quote:
Day for day you already have twice as many Drug & violent crimes than we do. If you doubled the population to equal ours that that would be 4 times the amount of crime we currently have.

Regardless, I do understand that what is reported is mostly the darkest side of the reality that exists on a daily basis. I still am asking of you all... what are the things that I should be asking and/or looking for. What areas are definite No-No's and what are the hidden BS that one might not think about until it is too late. Please bare in mind that 2 girls under 10 are involved in this potential move. They are my PRIORITY.
Everyone has an opinion, there are those that may say mine is extreme. But FWIW, crime in SW Florida in general is on the rise. The Cape isnt near as bad as Lehigh Acres, but it's getting there. The home invasion problem is growing, and in the northern areas, that are less populated, most folks have made the area an armed camp. I know several up there that keep some form of firearm within easy reach, even during the day(12 gauge, seems to be the most popular). I'm sure that number grows on a daily basis. Even in the southern areas it's becoming more prevalent. There are now TWO dedicated gun shops in the SW Cape alone, one on Chiquita, and one on Skyline. This recently in addition to the two(pawn shops) that have been in the SE Cape for many years.

I know more and more folks that are getting CCW permits, and carry routinely in the Cape on a daily basis. Myself included. I never thought I would find myself in a situation where I felt compelled to carry a weapon for self defense, but a eye opening discussion/demonstration with a teenage high school student of a friend of mine was enough to make me see the light.

This brings me to the next point, find a nice private school to put your girls in. The public schools here are rife with weapons and drugs. Worse than any other school district in the country? who could say? But I know it's here, and those situations typically get worse, not better. The school really kind of suck here for that matter, too. But others can shed more light on that.....

When I moved to SW Florida in 1991, Cape Coral was still a quiet little backwater. I recall a double murder in the city that year, that was only the second homicide in the city's history, and the previous one had been back in like 1968. Quite a few years passed before another homicide occured in the Cape.
Crime was hardly ever a concern back then. This town has come a long way since then.

As more and more find themselves unemployed, and headed toward homeless, desperation quickly turns to crime. This area is ground zero for just that scenario. It's tough to find an area with higher unemployment numbers, and greater foreclosure litigation than Cape Coral, FL. A few days ago, a man was arrested for stealing fifty cents from a parked van on the cities NE side....and then the incidents run the gamut all the way up to what you, yourself have made note of.

So what does your common sense tell you now?............

Old 06-28-2009, 09:24 PM

yachtcare... Thank you. The tickets have already been purchased so the wife and I are heading down (To look and research in person) regardless.
Can you tell me what I can safely do to verify the gross-misjudgment of a relocation to SW FL (Lee, etc...). I have three days to not get mugged, beaten or rapped, but find out the reality of the area. Both the good and bad would be nice. No candy-coating, just facts. If they are the facts through your eyes only... then so be it, I still respect what someone of your tenure has to offer.
There is no doubt that the lure of selling my home and being able to buy a nice home of equal size for half of what i sell mine for is tempting.
The fact is though... at what price? I am on this forum for that reason. Some may be disgruntled, but it sure seems as if it is with good cause. I do not want to live in some Private Country/Yacht Club sipping Mia-Tias and pretending that 2 blocks over some 80 year old person isn't being beaten within inches of life for a a pack of smokes.
It does stand to reason that as times get tough, so does the population and the crime.
Remember, I am going down to scout, so any and all input is welcome. I am/was already skeptical from the onset, but the wife was/is really excited about the prospect of the move. As I have stated before, I come from a street side background. I do not want any part of that tuff stuff anymore and WILL NOT willfully expose my girls to it. They already have to deal with my terrible language! Why on earth would I want to expose them to gangs, drugs other foolishness that sounds like it is near guaranteed if we make the move.
Thanks again.

Old 06-28-2009, 09:50 PM

25,449 posts, read 11,731,582 times
Quote:
Quote:
SOURCE: NBC2 Online - Cape Coral News (http://www.nbc-2.com/News/CapeCoral/ - broken link)
Just some of the reports that concern me and all these were this week alone.

Police search for suspects in vicious beating
Updated: 8:07 PM
Investigators are asking for the public's help to track down four people who allegedly attacked a man in his Cape Coral home.

Cape woman tied up during robbery
Updated: 6/26/2009 1:24:19 PM
A Cape Coral woman was tied up as two men robbed her early Friday morning - all while her two children slept just feet away.

80-year-old man assaulted, robbed
Updated: 6/24/2009 10:17:11 PM
An 80-year-old Cape Coral man was assaulted and robbed in his own front yard. He says he's just happy to still be alive.
Hi vIce^gRip.

I want to tell you something, people on this forum tend to give Cape Coral a bad name. I noticed that over a year ago. While, yes, there are crimes in Cape Coral like the ones you mentioned above, that type of stuff is going on everywhere. Unfortunately, I believe it is the times. Cape Coral is a safe place, the people are nice, it has low crime, and some parts of it are just beautiful. I have family that lives in the SE section of Cape, and have never once had a problem. Originally, it was the south areas that were the best, but I have been informed as of recently that Cape Coral North and South has low crime.

What you have to do is go there in person and decide for yourself if you think Cape Coral would be a place that you want to live in. I would say yes, but some people may not like the Cape. That is your decision, we are just the 2 cents people trying to help in. All in all, you have to make the decision. Do some more research in the Cape itself, maybe talk to some of the locals, and pick up the newspapers and look around for yourself. You'll make the right choice.

Good Luck to you.

Old 06-28-2009, 10:37 PM

20,702 posts, read 12,533,837 times
I have lived here since 1983 and have never had a problem. I don't find the schools bad either (at least the schools my kids attend). When I read some of these things that people write I wonder if I am in the same town that they live in.

I find people to be friendly here. Most of my neighbors have lived here for years but we did have two forecloses and they sold as soon as the signs went up.

I personally think that if you come and visit you will be pleasantly surprised. I do want to mention that if we had bad crime I would have left years ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area