Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2016, 05:41 PM

1,488 posts, read 1,967,061 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
In America, this is extremely unusual, as you probably know. Yes, in this economy many people have been obliged to move in with their parents, but it's not the norm, and most of these people were living independently.

It's true that you're not wasting money. But most people would find it very uncomfortable not to have a private independent life apart from their parents. I'm guessing that it has likely put a considerable dent in your social life, whether you realize it or not, and likely handicapped you in ways that you don't realize.
While this is true my question to you is what's the harm? If the parents are ok with it and the OP is ok with it then who are we to question or judge their arrangement. There are harmless abnormal acts and there are abnormal harmless taboos. This is not a taboo, just abnormal and seems to be working out so I don't see a problem.

And to answer your question OP, no I never lived with my parent in my 30's. I moved out in my early 20's.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2016, 05:52 PM

2,144 posts, read 1,879,306 times
Living with your parents is fine. Mooching off your parents is not.

Old 01-01-2016, 06:01 PM

14,016 posts, read 20,907,290 times
The OP didn't say what his parents think about the arrangement. If all parties are satisfied I don't see a problem, even though I personally couldn't wait to get out from under my parents' roof and have an independent life. A lot depends on one's relationship with one's parents.

Since the OP makes no financial contribution to the household, I hope at least he helps with chores and does his own laundry. If not, it seems to me there is an element of dis-functionality.

Old 01-01-2016, 06:02 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,214,810 times
It's getting real common in The Bay Area. There is just nowhere for people to move to. Nobody usually "bums" but everyone shares household expenses.

Last edited by Ceece; 01-01-2016 at 06:25 PM..

Old 01-01-2016, 06:13 PM

2,186 posts, read 4,573,621 times
I call Bullsh*t here.....no sane parents anywhere are going to be content or happy to have a 35year old mooching off of them for that long and paying absolutely nothing. Even if they were - have you no respect for them at all? You could at the very least contribute groceries or a vacation or something sometimes.....

Just your haughty attitude puts me off and frankly, if this is true then shame on you!!! I do hope you realize they will not be obligated to leave you their $350k home when they die, and you still have to think about how much it's going to cost to take care of them in their golden years. Bye bye to all that money you're saving up....

Old 01-01-2016, 06:16 PM

983 posts, read 1,055,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CFoulke View Post
I call Bullsh*t here.....no sane parents anywhere are going to be content or happy to have a 35year old mooching off of them for that long and paying absolutely nothing. Even if they were - have you no respect for them at all? You could at the very least contribute groceries or a vacation or something sometimes.....

Just your haughty attitude puts me off and frankly, if this is true then shame on you!!! I do hope you realize they will not be obligated to leave you their $350k home when they die, and you still have to think about how much it's going to cost to take care of them in their golden years. Bye bye to all that money you're saving up....
Exactly.

The OP posted this on the "bum" thread:
"I already live like a bum. I'm living on about $200 a month. Mainly restaurant meals. Car is paid for by my father. So for me, $5,000 would last about 2 years. Remember, the more people you parasite off of, the longer it can last."

Disgusting.

Old 01-01-2016, 07:40 PM

403 posts, read 472,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zie92mg9z View Post
I'm 35 and still living at home after many years. I get paid about $40k a year at my job. To me, living at home just seems so normal. I never moved out. There's no wasting money on rent, mortgages, anything.. Just about everything I make is saved(I have a large bank balance now) or spent on luxuries like trips abroad, restaurants, and so forth. The way the economy is, it makes sense to just stay at home. Wages are stagnant/declining so why the rush to waste precious money on a roof over my head when I've already got it paid for? My parents charge me nothing. I pay $0 for rent and $0 for utilities each month. Even food is mostly free. Anybody else still living like this in their 30's and 40's like I do? I'm happy with the situation and will most likely stay with my parents until I inherit their $350k house.
I like having privacy so living at home in my 30's doesn't work for me

Old 01-01-2016, 08:02 PM

1,021 posts, read 1,665,200 times
I lived with my dad from age 16 till I was like 32. I moved out to live with my girlfriend and saved a lot living with my dad paying low rent that a few years later I bought my own home in 2011 in the San Francisco bay area at near the bottom of the bust. I am thankful to have been able to buy a house if I had left home at 20 I probably would still be renting. My house is worth twice what I paid for 5 years ago.

Old 01-01-2016, 08:05 PM

403 posts, read 472,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justinbro2002 View Post
I lived with my dad from age 16 till I was like 32. I moved out to live with my girlfriend and saved a lot living with my dad paying low rent that a few years later I bought my own home in 2011 in the San Francisco bay area at near the bottom of the bust. I am thankful to have been able to buy a house if I had left home at 20 I probably would still be renting. My house is worth twice what I paid for 5 years ago.
I just got sick of having to bring a grown woman to that small bedroom in my mom's house so I had no choice but to move out. My stepdad was always in the living room so whenever I had company I had to go upstairs instead of the living room. By time my problem was old enough to date and have female company my stepdad had passed away so he was able to be in a big living room when he had company unlike me

Old 01-01-2016, 08:14 PM

115 posts, read 130,422 times
Guys, think of it as a free hotel. I come and go and best of all I pay nothing. I think some of you are jealous of my lifestyle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living