Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2017, 09:50 AM

1,135 posts, read 1,116,337 times

Advertisements

I was looking for a nice compact folding ultra lightweight ladder. Amazon only had it for $126 but only for Prime members. Knowing that sometimes Amazon doesn't have the best price, I did a Google Search and found out Walmart had it for $126 too. Bought it from Walmart and selected FREE DELIVERY to a nearby store. Now this is way better than Amazon, because if you buy Amazon and don't like the stuff you buy, shipping it back is such a hassle! But buying from Walmart, I can test the ladder in store and return it the same moment, too. But I did have to pay for it online. Amazon now has State Taxes everywhere too, right? So now, I actually think it could be more advantageous to shop from Walmart.com !!!

Comments? Have you done this too?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2017, 10:00 AM

1,180 posts, read 2,922,819 times
long time fan- I know shipping is usually $5.99 for an order less than $50.00 so I'm wondering why I got free shipping on a garbage can and a bag of trail mix for a total of around $10.00 ? must have been a glitch - but I use Walmart quite often for gifts for the grandkids and such.

Like you and your ladder my bother had to buy some wheelchair ramps that didn't work out- SO much easier (and cheaper) to just return to the store than mailing back to a specialty company.

Old 04-11-2017, 10:01 AM

18,069 posts, read 18,818,113 times
Many stores do this that have brick&mortar locations. You can order online, but return without the shipping costs to the physical location.

Amazon itself often has frequent free shipping/return deals, or products eligible for free shipping/return if ordering a certain dollar amount (I forget the number).

Other free shipping/returns depends on the vendor.

Old 04-11-2017, 10:19 AM

1,135 posts, read 1,116,337 times
Actually, I have never returned a product from Amazon, because I don't know that process!

Old 04-12-2017, 07:54 AM

23,539 posts, read 24,029,400 times
I ordered an iPad Mini from Walmart.com over the holidays, and the website database lost track of the item. It claimed to be able to provide delivery within 2 days and the status was not updated after 7 days. I tried to inquire on the status of item, but never received a reply. I canceled my order. What a joke.

Walmart.com has been a big "FAIL" for me so far.

I've been ordering from Amazon since 1999 and this has never happened.

Old 04-12-2017, 08:04 AM

5,342 posts, read 6,167,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTE1969 View Post
I was looking for a nice compact folding ultra lightweight ladder. Amazon only had it for $126 but only for Prime members. Knowing that sometimes Amazon doesn't have the best price, I did a Google Search and found out Walmart had it for $126 too. Bought it from Walmart and selected FREE DELIVERY to a nearby store. Now this is way better than Amazon, because if you buy Amazon and don't like the stuff you buy, shipping it back is such a hassle! But buying from Walmart, I can test the ladder in store and return it the same moment, too. But I did have to pay for it online. Amazon now has State Taxes everywhere too, right? So now, I actually think it could be more advantageous to shop from Walmart.com !!!

Comments? Have you done this too?
I'm surprised it didn't qualify for the free 2 day ship to home. I thought they supposedly have 1 million items that qualify for free 2 day ship to home if you spend over $35 now. It looks like they also just announced a discount if you choose to ship it to the store and pick it up.

Old 04-12-2017, 08:28 AM

1,715 posts, read 2,298,228 times
Walmart is ok. Shopping & browsing online is not as smooth as amazon but its not bad either. Historically, walmart shipping has been really slow. I also noticed that some items had a very long wait time. This is deal breaker for me personally and thats where amazon has an edge...

Old 04-12-2017, 08:35 AM

5,342 posts, read 6,167,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasTony View Post
Walmart is ok. Shopping & browsing online is not as smooth as amazon but its not bad either. Historically, walmart shipping has been really slow. I also noticed that some items had a very long wait time. This is deal breaker for me personally and thats where amazon has an edge...
I wonder if it improves now that the Jet guy is at the helm. He was from Amazon and decided to leave to found Jet, so he is likely pushing for very similar level of customer service.

Old 04-12-2017, 08:38 AM

1,715 posts, read 2,298,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mizzourah2006 View Post
I wonder if it improves now that the Jet guy is at the helm. He was from Amazon and decided to leave to found Jet, so he is likely pushing for very similar level of customer service.
I hope so. Amazon prob shut down his eCommerce store that they acquired from him earlier.

Old 04-12-2017, 08:51 AM

32,940 posts, read 36,359,395 times
Could you have returned it at a store if it had been shipped to the house?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living