Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2015, 05:28 PM

698 posts, read 960,064 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by picklejuice View Post
Poo. Lots and lots of poo!

I bet if you place cow dung, dog dung, or any type of animal dung on the path they are using, they won't use it again!
Love it, that should do the trick
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2015, 05:59 PM

6,586 posts, read 4,972,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ByeByeLW View Post

One of my coworkers had a hissy fit because a customer dared to complain that * was ruining his lawn by walking over it.

I was a sub on that route and you could see the path through the grass. I just walked up another way where there was a paved area and it took no more time.

Thank you!!! I had a multi-year battle with my PO that still comes up from time to time. I was actually laughed at and told that it wasn't possible for a path to be worn by one person. Yet it was there, on both sides of the front yard.

I was told to request that it be put in the route book. It works for the most part. We have sidewalks at the street and I have one that leads to my front door. I don't need or want one that goes from my front door to my neighbors.

Often when it snows, I won't get mail until the next day if there is any trace of snow on the walk. Yet I've seen the carrier scale a small retaining wall and an 18" snowbank to walk across the yard.

Old 01-01-2015, 06:11 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,621,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallrick View Post
I have had trouble with the mail lady driving through the swale for years. I finally excavated it and filled with muck and cow manure. After getting the postal vehicle stuck twice she stopped doing it. I still keep it water from underneath and soupy with only mulch on top.
Nice! I love how she had to get stuck twice....the first time wasn't enough of a clue!

Old 01-01-2015, 06:41 PM

9,531 posts, read 15,882,711 times
motion-activated sprinklers are always great, except... winter.

Old 01-01-2015, 10:11 PM

16,069 posts, read 21,144,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WouldLoveTo View Post
Thank you!!! I had a multi-year battle with my PO that still comes up from time to time. I was actually laughed at and told that it wasn't possible for a path to be worn by one person. Yet it was there, on both sides of the front yard.

I was told to request that it be put in the route book. It works for the most part. We have sidewalks at the street and I have one that leads to my front door. I don't need or want one that goes from my front door to my neighbors.

Often when it snows, I won't get mail until the next day if there is any trace of snow on the walk. Yet I've seen the carrier scale a small retaining wall and an 18" snowbank to walk across the yard.
OP, is it really worth it to open a can of worms over something like this? Because you vehemently object to laying out a string of 12" stepping stones in your bed?

Old 01-01-2015, 10:20 PM

2,645 posts, read 3,330,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
OP, is it really worth it to open a can of worms over something like this? Because you vehemently object to laying out a string of 12" stepping stones in your bed?
Why should she have to do that? I'm pretty sure it's her property. She's paying for it. And not being able to see her yard to fully assess what that would do to her garden, I think it's pretty presumptuous to suggest she change her landscaping to accommodate trespassers.

Old 01-01-2015, 10:29 PM

5,297 posts, read 7,630,795 times
On my part, I would feel like I had lost the battle by putting in stepping stones. It is my property and my wishes should be honored is the way I look at it. Why is that so wrong ? I don't know how many of you are gardeners but I have put in a lot of hours in a garden and I would be insulted if someone ignored my request not to go through it and responded in a calvalier way.

I know the "pick your battles" line but, I look at this like I do the arrogance of "eminent domain" actions a lot of the time.

Hang in there, OP. If you decide to capitulate, don't worry about that either and I do understand your position.

Old 01-01-2015, 10:35 PM

12,386 posts, read 8,149,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoriBee62 View Post
Why should she have to do that? I'm pretty sure it's her property. She's paying for it. And not being able to see her yard to fully assess what that would do to her garden, I think it's pretty presumptuous to suggest she change her landscaping to accommodate trespassers.
Because the US Postal Service believes that a carrier doing his duty has the right to take the most efficient route to his next delivery point and the US Supreme Court has backed the postal service before in such confrontations. Thus making him not a trespasser but a carrier authorized to be on your property because that is where your mail receptacle is. You will not win a civil suit and the Sheriff will not arrest the carrier doing his duty. The option becomes how to get rid of the apparent shortest route to the next point.

A fence, move the box or make an accommodation with providing a path in the garden plan. If you interfere with the carrier the postal service does have three of its own police forces and none of them stands for election like your local Sheriff and/or Attorneys General.

Old 01-01-2015, 10:39 PM

2,645 posts, read 3,330,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieA View Post
I don't know how many of you are gardeners but I have put in a lot of hours in a garden and I would be insulted if someone ignored my request not to go through it and responded in a calvalier way.
I'm a gardener too. It's backbreaking work that takes a ton of time and effort to keep nice. People who don't garden don't get it.

I also happen to be a Californian so I understand the concept of limited space. We aren't talking about someone with 30 acres who doesn't want to lend a little piece of it for the mailman. To some of us, cutting a 3-foot-wide path through our yard can be a huge percentage of the space we have to work with. Not cool. Not cool at all.

Old 01-01-2015, 10:42 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,621,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
It's her property! She OWNS it! Not the lazy mail guy. Once he starts paying her taxes, he can have a say about the path through the garden. Why should she cater to this nitwit? And even if she did, who's to say he would use it?

Gardening is very HARD work! Many back aches and sore knees are involved. It takes countless hours to make gardens beautiful. It takes 10 seconds to destroy one. The plantings, nutrition, soil, mulch, etc are not cheap or free.

I've had people destroy my potted plants before and I was heartbroken. I spent 3 hours planting 2 huge pots to put at the sides of my driveway. They were out there for less than 10 hours before some jerk knocked them over and broke my pots. My plants were destroyed. I was so upset that I didn't plant most of what I purchased and my husband did it. He's still ticked off about it happening and it was a year and a half ago. People should be able to have nice things on their property without jerks ruining them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden