Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2017, 06:41 AM

18,780 posts, read 18,130,585 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIcenter View Post
Very good post fisheye. The only thing I do different is with my generator. Every three to four months I syphon out the gas, and use it in my other equipment that gets more run time. After I syphon I refill with fresh gas, and let it run a couple of minutes to flush the carb. I don't trust running it dry, as it only takes a little condensation to develop rust spots in the carb, and or bowl.
Our generator will sit for sometimes five years - who knows? It is there only for the next major 'event'. It isn't worth draining and perpetually running it for no reason other than trying to 'predict the future'. If I forget to recycle the gas, which I probably would; then I could have problems when we would need it again. Hopefully we do not need it with the remnants of Irma!

We have one car that we use very rarely - my wife does not want to get it dirty! It will sit until I have to charge the battery before we start it and it has a new battery! I do try to drive out a tank of fuel when we do drive it so it starts over with fresh fuel. We bought one older car off my parent's estate from my sisters and we want to kill that one first before we start on another one! The older car had sat for two years before we finally purchased it. It did have a full tank of gas if that made any difference? I am sure that others have started cars that sat for years with the same fuel.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2017, 06:57 AM

2,221 posts, read 2,094,758 times
Living in central Long Island (hence my screen name) we lose electricity at the drop of a hat due to all the large oaks in the area. It's not unusual for us to need it at the very least once a year. If I ever get some time, I have a propane conversion kit that I need to install, which will end all the drama of stale gasoline, or the long lines of trying to get a five gallon jug filled like we had with 'Sandy'

Old 09-09-2017, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Living in central Long Island (hence my screen name) we lose electricity at the drop of a hat due to all the large oaks in the area. It's not unusual for us to need it at the very least once a year. If I ever get some time, I have a propane conversion kit that I need to install, which will end all the drama of stale gasoline, or the long lines of trying to get a five gallon jug filled like we had with 'Sandy'
We have a 49th anniversary coming up and are thinking about having a 'professional' propane system installed. We are getting too old to worry about what gets connected and what doesn't.

Old 09-09-2017, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
We have a 49th anniversary coming up and are thinking about having a 'professional' propane system installed. We are getting too old to worry about what gets connected and what doesn't.
I'm also looking that way. 5 grand for a complete install here.

Old 09-09-2017, 09:19 AM

Quote:
I'm also looking that way. 5 grand for a complete install here.
5 grand for the system; I do not know how much for the install? Many times contractors almost double the materials. But we have not contacted any contractors to pour the slabs and install; we have to shortly.

Old 09-09-2017, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
5 grand for the system; I do not know how much for the install? Many times contractors almost double the materials. But we have not contacted any contractors to pour the slabs and install; we have to shortly.
Generac is making that offer here. I believe it's a 4kw system.

Old 09-09-2017, 11:40 AM

3,211 posts, read 2,976,256 times
My husband uses an old Stihl chainsaw, gas powered. Need to keep it sharpened.

We live on a large piece of property, so an electric one would be useless here.

Old 09-09-2017, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgardener View Post
My husband uses an old Stihl chainsaw, gas powered. Need to keep it sharpened.

We live on a large piece of property, so an electric one would be useless here.
That is what it is all about; matching your equipment needs to the job at hand. If you had to buy a generator to power your saw and/or a few hundred feet of good extension cord; then you lost the advantage of a corded electric saw. If your batteries do not last for a full day's work and you have a full day's work; then you lost any advantage of the cordless saws. Gas chainsaws have endurance and mobility. Maybe, at sometime in the future, cordless will also have that power - but not now.

On the other hand; electrics do have a place for the smaller 'estates'. If you only use these saws infrequently; then they are the equipment for you.

Old 09-10-2017, 02:30 PM

6,359 posts, read 4,179,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 17thAndK View Post
Just to note that the use of E-10 is mandated in Virginia's more densely populated areas -- the DC suburbs in the north, plus Richmond-Petersburg and Hampton Roads further south.
They should sell non ethanol gas since how many small engines are there between homeowners, landscapers, tree surgeons etc not to mention states that tax gas heavily since they assume ( their justification ) it's being used by automobiles for road use. Supposedly the tax is used for roadwork while lawnmowers don't usually travel on roads.

Old 09-11-2017, 08:10 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,793,239 times
Quote:
Generac is making that offer here. I believe it's a 4kw system.
Wow. It has really gone up. Ours is 16kw and cost a little north of $3K. We opted for a 16 circuit ATS rather than whole house which would have cost another $1200 plus increased installation costs.

The downside is we chose circuits based on where we intended to put things. However reality was we put many things like the big fridge, elsewhere. So, when the power goes out, we have extension cords running all over the place. However no extension cord issue since my daughter backed into the generator. Now it does not work, so we do not need extension cords when the power goes out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden