Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2018, 09:49 AM

83,513 posts, read 75,277,900 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickMan7 View Post
I thought I'd just post a couple photos of the view I see every morning on my way to work, assuming the weather is clear. This is just outside my neighborhood heading west - Boulder is nestled below the nearest foothills. Not the best photos because I was driving (BAD Nick!!!), but you get the gist. These were taken this morning (05/09/18).

Trees are leafing out nicely now and should be in full leaf in the next 2-3 weeks.
And I just saw these! WOWWOW! What an awesome sight! If I showed you my view all you'd see is bumpers! lol.

I know that was taken in early May but what was the snow line elevation with this pic? Any snow still up there now in June?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2018, 11:22 AM

14,785 posts, read 24,080,364 times
yeah I hope he is just busy and not something more serious like illness etc ,,,, no reply in almost a month ,

Old 06-11-2018, 11:30 AM

2,221 posts, read 2,095,235 times
Looking at his profile, he was last on the boards on 06/02/18. I think he's just busy is all.

Old 06-13-2018, 10:46 AM

1,886 posts, read 1,838,742 times
I hope that is all it is!

Old 06-14-2018, 05:20 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,711,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
And I just saw these! WOWWOW! What an awesome sight! If I showed you my view all you'd see is bumpers! lol.

I know that was taken in early May but what was the snow line elevation with this pic? Any snow still up there now in June?
What a beautiful scene. Thanks for sharing. I too hope he is ok. Even if he was on CD in early June, that has been about 10 days and this time of the year he usually posts almost daily. SO, ok where are you?

Old 06-15-2018, 10:56 AM

1,371 posts, read 3,698,094 times
Default June 15 Update and SORRY!!

Oh my goodness, you all are WAY too kind to be worried about me! I should've checked in sooner, but have been so incredibly busy there just hasn't been the time (work, vacation, family, etc.). My apologies for dropping off the map, but I am back!

My hardening off week went exactly as planned, though the weather was much hotter than I anticipated - by far the hottest last week of May in recent memory. Highs were in the 80s to mid-90s with lows in the upper 40s and 50s. I planted flowers on Monday 05/21/18 and transplanted almost all of the veggies on Thursday 05/24/18. With the very warm nights, the plants were well-hardened within a couple of days, but I wanted to stick to my plan of planting on Thursday which worked well. The rest of the weekend allowed me time to get other household chores done, plant my mom's little garden and do a little bit of relaxing. The garden has just exploded over the past few weeks with the continued hot weather and lack of locally severe weather - 10/14 days in June have been above 90F and today is supposed to be 93F. We're running 8.4F above normal for the month so far. The weekend heading into next week is supposed to FINALLY provide some relief in the form of heavy rainfall (remnants from TS Bud) and much cooler temps in the 70s to low 80s! I just hope the sudden turn to cloudy and cool doesn't let disease set in. Either way, I am so ready for a respite from the early heat.

I have 35 tomato plants in the garden this year (20 in Earthboxes, 11 in whiskey barrels and 4 in the ground), along with ~25 pepper plants. I have listed the tomato varieties below. I actually have more repeats in the garden than I originally anticipated, but oh well. Next year I will have to step out of my box and do all new varieties. I have seeds for about 160. All of the plants are flowering and between 2 and 3' tall already. Very healthy.

Tomatoes:

1. 1884 (x2) (repeat)
2. Aker's West Virginia (repeat)
3. Amana Orange
4. Aussie (repeat)
5. Barnes Mountain
6. Big Beef (x2) (repeat)
7. Big Zac (x2)
8. Bush Early Girl (x3) (repeat)
9. Celebrity
10. Cosmonaut Volkov (repeat)
11. Cream Sausage (repeat)
12. Dester
13. Dr. Wyche's Yellow (repeat)
14. Earl's Faux
15. Giant Belgium
16. Golden Girl (x3)
17. Grandpa's White Wax
18. Green Moldovan (repeat)
19. Harless Creek
20. Hillbilly
21. Kosovo
22. Krasnodar Titans (repeat)
23. Manyel
24. Mr. Underwood's German Giant
25. Nicholajevna Pink
26. Paragon (repeat)
27. Stump of the World (repeat)
28. Yaqui (repeat)

Unfortunately, I do not have my list of peppers handy, but will update this with a list of the peppers in my next update next week. I have a good mix of hot and sweet. Several are setting small fruit.

Otherwise, the only other things I've planted in the veggie garden this season are Marketmore 76 cucumbers for my partner, a Round Mauve eggplant and some basil. I've decided to forego squash and zucchini since I used most of my whiskey barrels for tomatoes. Next season I will grow them again. Veggie garden pics are the first 3 below.

Lastly, I also planted flowers out front where I've grown garlic for the past 3 years. I planted everything on 05/21/18 and it has taken some time for the flowers to get going, but with the heat and sunshine, the beds have just erupted in gorgeous color..

The bed closest to the front porch is planted with 9 PartyTime Pink coleus along the back and 19 Infinity Pink New Guinea impatiens throughout the bed. The 3 central containers each contain 4 large petunias, though I lost the tags and do not know the varieties (seem to be more upright than mounding or trailing). They are purple and white/purple intermixed with Dracaena spikes in the center of each. To add a pop of light color, I interplanted 5 WhiteWave petunias that have begun to cascade over the front of the wall - exactly as I wanted them to. This bed is shown in the 4th and 5th pics below.

In the low 36" container that is barely visible now, I have centered a Purple Fountain Grass and planted around it 3 WhiteWave petunias, 3 Superbells Hollywood Star, 3 Superbells Lemon Slice, 2 Tropical Rose Sunpatiens and 1 Sweet Caroline Light Green potato vine. This container is the 6th and 7th photos below.

Lastly, my lower flower bed closest to the driveway is still filling in. Some of the topsoil is still visible, but that shouldn't last long. I went for a color blocking effect with my plantings here. This bed contains 4 each Supertunia Black Cherry, Supertunia Vista Bubblegum, Supertunia Honey and Supertunia Vista Fuscia, 2 Supertunia Vista Silverberry and 2 Lobelia Leguna White. This bed also contains a lot of weeds that I will tend to this weekend when it's cooler. When these plants mature, they should mound and cascade over the retaining wall in dramatic effect. This bed is shown in the last 2 photos below.

I also have two urns of various impatiens (pink, fuscia and coral) on the front porch flanking the windows, along with 3 vinca in each (I LOVE the ethereal draping of the vinca - so beautiful). In the mulch are a few random plantings that I did not take good photos of because the plants are still small. One planting includes 2 Superbells Coralberry Punch, one includes 2 Superbells Cherry Blossom and one includes 2 Superbells Apricot Punch. Once they get larger and mature, I'll include photos.

OKAY, that's the update for now!! I hope to include lots more photos and progress in my next update.
Attached Thumbnails
My 2018 Container Garden-img_0435.jpg   My 2018 Container Garden-img_0436.jpg   My 2018 Container Garden-img_0438.jpg   My 2018 Container Garden-img_0442.jpg   My 2018 Container Garden-img_0439.jpg  

My 2018 Container Garden-img_0440.jpg   My 2018 Container Garden-img_0441.jpg   My 2018 Container Garden-img_0444.jpg   My 2018 Container Garden-img_0446.jpg  

Old 06-20-2018, 02:57 PM

NickMan!! Hey hey, glad you're ok!! I love your detailed information
Thanks so much for updating and the pics. Everything looks great! Good for you

Old 06-20-2018, 03:26 PM

14,785 posts, read 24,080,364 times
oh nick I love your house and patio everything looks good and you are a flower person too . I love the stone work patio I was thinking I might do the stone and pavers here behind the rose garden .

Old 06-20-2018, 04:11 PM

1,371 posts, read 3,698,094 times
Hi Cindy and phone, thank you!!! The flowers looked better in those photos than they do today, unfortunately, because we had a series of 7 (yes, 7!) hailstorms come through two nights ago over the period of about 4 hours. FORTUNATELY for us, we didn't get the baseball size hail cities to the SW and NE of us got - how we escaped the large hail, I don't know. Most of ours was quarter size or smaller.. but it was an exhausting evening seeing everything get torn apart for hours on end. I will say, however, that flowers are very resilient and I know they will rebound even better than before, so I just have to be patient. The veggies are covered in netting and were hardly touched.

Old 06-21-2018, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickMan7 View Post
Hi Cindy and phone, thank you!!! The flowers looked better in those photos than they do today, unfortunately, because we had a series of 7 (yes, 7!) hailstorms come through two nights ago over the period of about 4 hours. FORTUNATELY for us, we didn't get the baseball size hail cities to the SW and NE of us got - how we escaped the large hail, I don't know. Most of ours was quarter size or smaller.. but it was an exhausting evening seeing everything get torn apart for hours on end. I will say, however, that flowers are very resilient and I know they will rebound even better than before, so I just have to be patient. The veggies are covered in netting and were hardly touched.
Yikes, hail can do so destructive. You're right, flowers can rebound. You just hate to see them damaged though
We have had allot of rain here in Wisconsin and I'm praying it stops at least for a couple days. My tomatoes hate when they get too much. Nothing is perfect I guess and we have to roll with the punches though.

I will be weeding like crazy again this weekend. The weeds grow faster than the veggies and flowers, damn it. HA!

Garden on.........
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden