Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2018, 06:45 AM

1,192 posts, read 2,481,978 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by movin2Reston View Post
Summer heat is here! Next couple of days 90’ and above.

Don’t make the mistake of watering more than once a week at an inch at a time and no nitrogen which will only stress the lawn.
I'm confused, which isn't unusual when it comes to fertilizer and such. In the Milorganite thread, it looked to me like you were planning an application in early July. On the bags of milorganite it says, "nitrogen fertilizer." My plan was the apply right after July 4th. The temp's here have been in the upper 90's. Now I'm not sure if that is still a good plan or not .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2018, 07:22 AM

34 posts, read 24,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PennyLane2 View Post
I'm confused, which isn't unusual when it comes to fertilizer and such. In the Milorganite thread, it looked to me like you were planning an application in early July. On the bags of milorganite it says, "nitrogen fertilizer." My plan was the apply right after July 4th. The temp's here have been in the upper 90's. Now I'm not sure if that is still a good plan or not .
Milorganite is fine to use in ALL temps, esp. high temps. Apply anytime.

It is a slow release nitrogen and does not burn. At least have never had a burn with it and that is working in a nursery adding it straight to plants in pots as well as putting on my lawn.

I am in Missouri and I have to apply nitrogen throughout the summer. I live on a rock/clay bluff and chemical retention is not that good.

Last edited by Misty Mountains; 06-30-2018 at 07:31 AM..

Old 06-30-2018, 09:37 AM

2,745 posts, read 3,013,886 times
What's the BEST spot grass-killer that I can use on my gravel driveway? One of the Round-ups?

Old 07-02-2018, 07:53 AM

346 posts, read 550,547 times
I put down my July 4th bag of Milo yesterday. Most people find Milo to be pungent, but I told my wife that I'm starting to really like it LOL. Smells like.......a green lawn...

Old 07-02-2018, 06:06 PM

346 posts, read 550,547 times
I used Bayer DuraZone on the grass and weeds that grow between pavers and sidewalks, it'll kill anything and everything so be careful with spraying.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeBear View Post
What's the BEST spot grass-killer that I can use on my gravel driveway? One of the Round-ups?

Old 07-02-2018, 07:01 PM

34 posts, read 24,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeBear View Post
Grass is tough to kill with regular Round Up, esp. if it is Bermuda grass or crabgrass.

There is an EXTENDED Round Up that might work.

There are also things like Ortho GroundClear Vegetation Killer, that might work better for you if you need something harder hitting.

Old 07-03-2018, 08:11 AM

2,745 posts, read 3,013,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by qtbrye View Post
I used Bayer DuraZone on the grass and weeds that grow between pavers and sidewalks, it'll kill anything and everything so be careful with spraying.

Thanks! You got me just in time, as I'm heading into town in 1.5 hours for a lunch meeting, and can pick some of this up at Lowe's right afterward.

Old 07-06-2018, 07:03 AM

7,490 posts, read 7,162,976 times
Thanks!

Glad you found it helpful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misty Mountains View Post
Very nice summary! I have to add a couple of things for my area.

I am here in Missouri and I tweak this schedule to 2 applications of crabgrass/broadleaf preventer. Either January/February and then June/July. Our season has been going too long and we now have weeds all year long.

Chickweed, spurge, plaintain, and more continue to grow in the landscape during our winters. The ground takes forever to freeze and we frequently have thaws in Jan and Feb. only to get cold again however the germination starts for the early spring weeds, hence the early application now.

This yr., I switched to a spot weed killer that has crabgrass preventer in it. Jury is out on that for now as I just started using it this yr.

Final point, go buy seed at a reputable place, your local farm and home stores will have better seed. I use "Earth Carpet" brand seed when I can get my hands on it. I have to drive for it.

Old 07-06-2018, 07:25 AM

Your fine with Milorganite.

Unfortunately, some people try to use synthetic fertilizer in the summertime which is typically a quick release and will end up burning their grass and then they don’t understand what happened.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PennyLane2 View Post

Old 07-06-2018, 07:27 AM

Great suggestion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misty Mountains View Post
Milorganite is fine to use in ALL temps, esp. high temps. Apply anytime.

It is a slow release nitrogen and does not burn.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden