Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-19-2010, 06:08 AM

433 posts, read 1,143,320 times

Advertisements

nuala, I appreciated the info on the row covers. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2010, 08:49 AM
Gue

24,118 posts, read 10,143,707 times
Hi everyone!

I have a small garden area but I am going to try SQF as well this year.
Reading lots of good tips..Thanks!

lisa~How big will your corn patch be? Doesn't corn require a larger area? The corn on the outer rows have sparse kernels, while the corn in the middle rows are uniform...

I would love to try corn in a small 4 by 4 area if others have tried it & found it works...

Old 04-23-2010, 01:17 PM

20,548 posts, read 30,397,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gue View Post
Hi everyone!

I have a small garden area but I am going to try SQF as well this year.
Reading lots of good tips..Thanks!

lisa~How big will your corn patch be? Doesn't corn require a larger area? The corn on the outer rows have sparse kernels, while the corn in the middle rows are uniform...

I would love to try corn in a small 4 by 4 area if others have tried it & found it works...

In the SFG you can grow one corn stalk per square and you get maybe 3-5 ears of corn from one stalk. I was going to try growing pole beans with the corn and let those grow on the stalks. I have since decided to skip the corn in my garden. I didn't think it would produce enough and it would take up too much space in my small garden.

BTW, I was going to grow 8 corn pants for the cross pollination that I read about...please all correct me if I am wrong
Maybe someday....

Old 04-23-2010, 01:28 PM

20,548 posts, read 30,397,537 times
I just got back from the High School. They have a greenhouse and sell their plants for .25 per plant I got 3 zucchini, 28 different tomato, 8 sweet green peppers, 4 yellow neck squash. 4 marigolds, and 8 nasturtium plants.

This is my first time mixing flowering plants in with my veggies. I can't plant until mid may but last year the school sold out by the time I got there.

Old 04-23-2010, 01:43 PM

259,024 posts, read 90,607,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by younglisa7 View Post
I just got back from the High School. They have a greenhouse and sell their plants for .25 per plant I got 3 zucchini, 28 different tomato, 8 sweet green peppers, 4 yellow neck squash. 4 marigolds, and 8 nasturtium plants.

This is my first time mixing flowering plants in with my veggies. I can't plant until mid may but last year the school sold out by the time I got there.
No jalapenos?

Old 04-23-2010, 04:56 PM

18,287 posts, read 23,190,340 times
Quote:

Girl you are going to have tomatoes coming out your ears. You better be ready to can this year.

Old 04-24-2010, 03:34 PM

948 posts, read 3,356,950 times
Default In place of the beer plates

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxson View Post
You know I don't know for sure my family just always did it. I suppose to add calcium but I do know when I didn't put egg shells when planting my yield wasn't as big. Of course none of them are living to ask now.

The beer attracts them and then killls them. The egg shells deter them. I use em and they work. That' why I use em.

Old 04-25-2010, 11:59 AM

2,794 posts, read 4,156,528 times
Quote:

WHat a bargain! I'm also planting my veggies & flowers in together this year for the first time. They say it helps pollination & etc.

Old 04-25-2010, 01:07 PM

13,163 posts, read 1,698,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KsStorm View Post
WHat a bargain! I'm also planting my veggies & flowers in together this year for the first time. They say it helps pollination & etc.
I only have St. John's Wort and sunflowers with my veggies. Other flowers they'll have to find elsewhere on the land.

I hope that, plus allowing some of my veggies to go to seed, will be enough to aid pollination.

Old 05-02-2010, 06:18 AM

4,112 posts, read 6,520,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skatergirl View Post
The beer attracts them and then killls them. The egg shells deter them. I use em and they work. That' why I use em.
Is this for slugs? If so is there a certain depth to ensure instant death! I'm overrun by these buggers. Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden