Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-01-2017, 06:43 AM

2,221 posts, read 2,096,718 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
yep finally have some cucumbers growing that are not odd shaped LOL . My bush tomatoe is putting out all kinds of flowers .I hope she does the job and puts out some big tomatoes .
Refresh my memory. Where roughly are you again? I've always had pretty good luck with the bush variety of cukes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2017, 07:51 AM

14,784 posts, read 24,090,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LIcenter View Post
Refresh my memory. Where roughly are you again? I've always had pretty good luck with the bush variety of cukes.
south Carolina

Old 07-01-2017, 07:59 AM

2,221 posts, read 2,096,718 times
Quote:
south Carolina
10-4....

Old 07-01-2017, 11:47 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times
All of you are having so much luck and my garden is just not what I had hoped, but it is getting there. I did pick my first produce this year except I have had dill and i I picked 3 tiny thai peppers. I though hubby would crack up when he say how small they were, but they have turned red, I assured him they are supposed to be small and now, I am feeling the heat. They are so hot, just picking them my hands are burning.

phonelady61: After your questioning the weight when the containers get wet, I did some investigating. I have pretty well decided on some raised (about 3 feet) planters for next year. They are deep enough to grow tomatoes and will work with my 80 year old back. The ones I found are not as expensive as the ones my daughter uses.

Old 07-03-2017, 08:39 AM

12,858 posts, read 16,875,803 times
Walked out to the garden this morning and I have peppers! Will hand out cigars later.

Old 07-03-2017, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
All of you are having so much luck and my garden is just not what I had hoped, but it is getting there. I did pick my first produce this year except I have had dill and i I picked 3 tiny thai peppers. I though hubby would crack up when he say how small they were, but they have turned red, I assured him they are supposed to be small and now, I am feeling the heat. They are so hot, just picking them my hands are burning.

phonelady61: After your questioning the weight when the containers get wet, I did some investigating. I have pretty well decided on some raised (about 3 feet) planters for next year. They are deep enough to grow tomatoes and will work with my 80 year old back. The ones I found are not as expensive as the ones my daughter uses.
Oh my I hope I did not say something out of place that was certainly not my intention to imply or infer that you were not able to do this just wanted you to be aware that most of those 5 gallon buckets like I used one year wrenched my back while trying to move them . Especially when they were wet from the rain . I hope you will excuse me sometimes I don't know when to be quiet . I wish you nothing but good gardening .

Old 07-04-2017, 09:58 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times
Quote:
Oh my I hope I did not say something out of place that was certainly not my intention to imply or infer that you were not able to do this just wanted you to be aware that most of those 5 gallon buckets like I used one year wrenched my back while trying to move them . Especially when they were wet from the rain . I hope you will excuse me sometimes I don't know when to be quiet . I wish you nothing but good gardening .
Oh heavens, you were helpful, certainly not harmful. I agree with you and yes, I am inclined to get things to heavy and hadn't given any thought to how much the containers weigh when they are wet. I have totally rethought my plan. I am going to get a couple of the 3ft raised containers like my daughter and granddaughter use. I may also do a couple others using a table but that remains to be seen as next spring gets here.

Have a wonderful 4th of July and stay happy.

Old 07-04-2017, 02:20 PM

83,520 posts, read 75,333,969 times
What one of my beds looks like when I grow things and care for it VS when I neglect it and not grow anything in it.

Tilled on left. No till on right. Ridiculous how the weeds take over if you don't maintain it!

Close up of the weeds. Ugh. Decided to take advantage of todays low humidity and temps in 70s and start tackling this. The longer its left, the harder it is and more seeds will be around.

Just to compare, even when tilled and maintained with plants, the weeds find a way to be a nuisance in July.

Old 07-04-2017, 03:42 PM

oh yes I finally got my container for my lettuce which I will start next month on the 15th of august . I hoed and raked out the flower gardens and the tomatoe beds this morning and made sure everything was cleaned up . I like my yard being neat and tidy and everyone that walks by looks at my flower beds out front . They are probably wondering how much work it takes to maintain they don't even want to know LOL ....

Old 07-04-2017, 07:40 PM

3,974 posts, read 4,259,315 times
Saw my first horn worms of the season today, both on one tomato plant. I promptly dispatched them. Last year, some parasitic wasps killed multiple horn worms, but unfortunately, they do so when the caterpillars are quite large and have already done much damage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden