Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2011, 04:20 PM

93 posts, read 212,277 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
unless you're independently wealthy where you're more likely to find work needs to count for a lot.
if you want to be miserable... you can do that anywhere.
So true, MrRational!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2011, 05:35 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,867,563 times
yep;any where can be hell if you live in the hell parts of the city.Location in any city can be as the sayinggoes and not having the moeny can determine just that.

Old 06-21-2011, 09:48 PM

5,245 posts, read 16,431,350 times
Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

Ok, try that. I hope the link works.

When I read your post I wondered if there was a site you could go to and answer questions and have it narrow down the area that would work for you. I found this one (you do have to create an account to get your answer but I haven't gotten any spam or anything from them) and did it for me. When I got to the end and got my answers, my number one match is a town about 30 minutes from me that my husband and I have been in love with since we moved here. I'd move there in a New York minute if it were in my budget.

As I went through my four pages of answers there were a ton of towns listed that we've looked at homes in, both in person and on line. Several towns we nearly moved to instead of where we are now. A couple are towns we're looking to move to in the next year or so.

No guarantee it will work for everyone, but hubby and I were floored when we pulled our answers and they were such a perfect match for what we're looking for.

Good luck!

Last edited by Yac; 04-11-2012 at 06:39 AM..

Old 06-22-2011, 04:01 AM

5,546 posts, read 10,001,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs1885 View Post
Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

Ok, try that. I hope the link works.

When I read your post I wondered if there was a site you could go to and answer questions and have it narrow down the area that would work for you. I found this one (you do have to create an account to get your answer but I haven't gotten any spam or anything from them) and did it for me. When I got to the end and got my answers, my number one match is a town about 30 minutes from me that my husband and I have been in love with since we moved here. I'd move there in a New York minute if it were in my budget.

As I went through my four pages of answers there were a ton of towns listed that we've looked at homes in, both in person and on line. Several towns we nearly moved to instead of where we are now. A couple are towns we're looking to move to in the next year or so.

No guarantee it will work for everyone, but hubby and I were floored when we pulled our answers and they were such a perfect match for what we're looking for.

Good luck!
The link did not work, but thanks for pointing me in that direction! I did find it on the Web.

Well, four cities in Oregon came up and one of them was Medford. The other three were Eugene, Salem and Portland. Since I'm priced out of CA, looks like I'll go to Oregon. I love the coast, the state is beautiful, I lived in Portland for a couple months back in the mid 80s, so it's not like I am a stranger to that state. The politics are right and that is important to me. Plus, and not insignificant, I wrote in someone's yearbook at 14 that I'd come and visit them from OR. I'd never even been to OR at that point.

Plus, and I know this is going to sound crazy (but I do think about these matters at my age), OR has the death with dignity act and, since I have no family or children, this works for me.

BTW, good luck with your move!

Last edited by Yac; 04-11-2012 at 06:39 AM..

Old 06-22-2011, 09:02 AM

8,775 posts, read 11,909,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistygrl092 View Post
Thanks, I am of a "certain age" which makes it really scary. However, I'm leaving nothing behind at all. I have no connections in this place after YEARS and a sociopath moving in next door. No doubt I'll look back at this as a "blessing in disguise" but it sure feels like hell right now. Yes, it's that bad.

I just wish I knew where I was going to and I wish I didn't have a house to sell. I've got three pets which complicates things a bit in terms of even landing on the other end, wherever that other end might be. I'm doing this alone and have no one on the other end once I get there. All I know is I cannot stay here anymore.
Yes, I know. I've been following your posts for quite a while so I DO know the story of your "sociopath" next door. I think that some things happen for a reason but mostly what happens in our lives comes from our own decisions...good or bad. You had no control over who bought the house next door but you DO have control over whether you stay or not. I can't imagine staying in a place for years where I would feel no sense of "connection" with it. That has to be very lonely.

On the 'bright side'...if you're inclined to look at it that way...is that you ARE single, you can go wherever you please and not have to worry about anyone else's input/wants/needs. It's just a matter of choosing WHERE to go and I think you are desperate to make that move so it's harder.

I wish you luck no matter where you decide to go.

Old 06-22-2011, 09:42 AM

5,546 posts, read 10,001,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZDesertBrat View Post
Yes, I know. I've been following your posts for quite a while so I DO know the story of your "sociopath" next door. I think that some things happen for a reason but mostly what happens in our lives comes from our own decisions...good or bad. You had no control over who bought the house next door but you DO have control over whether you stay or not. I can't imagine staying in a place for years where I would feel no sense of "connection" with it. That has to be very lonely.

On the 'bright side'...if you're inclined to look at it that way...is that you ARE single, you can go wherever you please and not have to worry about anyone else's input/wants/needs. It's just a matter of choosing WHERE to go and I think you are desperate to make that move so it's harder.

I wish you luck no matter where you decide to go.
Thanks! But I've already decided. I am going to move to Oregon. I can fly into either Sac (most likely) or Portland and then take it from there.

Whew, it's a relief to at LEAST know where I am heading. In the right environment, I know I'll do ok.

Thanks for your kind words.

P.S. He was diagnosed as a sociopath by my Dr who has been in practice for 40 years. All I had to tell him is that he tried to hurt my dogs and he said "well, you are obviously dealing with a sociopath." I'd suspected it (either that or a narcissist), but narcissists aren't into hurting animals.

Old 06-22-2011, 09:43 AM

3,113 posts, read 8,380,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistygrl092 View Post
The link did not work, but thanks for pointing me in that direction! I did find it on the Web.

Well, four cities in Oregon came up and one of them was Medford. The other three were Eugene, Salem and Portland. Since I'm priced out of CA, looks like I'll go to Oregon. I love the coast, the state is beautiful, I lived in Portland for a couple months back in the mid 80s, so it's not like I am a stranger to that state. The politics are right and that is important to me. Plus, and not insignificant, I wrote in someone's yearbook at 14 that I'd come and visit them from OR. I'd never even been to OR at that point.

Plus, and I know this is going to sound crazy (but I do think about these matters at my age), OR has the death with dignity act and, since I have no family or children, this works for me.

BTW, good luck with your move!
You sound excited! Congratulations! Figuring out what you want can be a tough task - but once you hit on something that just feels right? That's a wonderful feeling! Good luck on your move!

Old 06-24-2011, 06:53 PM

4,176 posts, read 10,689,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osito View Post
Not just for that reason no way, unless I was desperate enough. Actually there are some parts of the midwest (Nebraska, the Dakotas, etc.) that are supposed to have plentiful jobs and a low cost of living, and I would actually move there if the weather didn't stink lol.
HEY!!!!!

Watch yer mouth!! LOL

Actually, don't be fooled by the "low unemployment numbers"... there are lots of reasons for them; ranchers whose wives are nurses 'in town', people working two and three parttime jobs, low pay, no benefits offered... Lots of people are afraid of the weather, or hate the cold, or are terrified of tornadoes, so they don't come here. Me, I love the wide-open spaces, the thunderous summer storms (under a severe t'storm warning right now, as a matter of fact - beautiful!), building fires in the woodstove in the blizzards.. and I wasn't desperate to have or get a job, even though I did and enjoy it - without benefits and for less than $20,000 a year. Not everyone can do that.

We moved here on purpose for the weather. 9 months of REAL winter instead of six weeks of "Ooooh, it's 20 degrees, I need a sweater!" 4 actual seasons. Low humidity (in the western portion, around Omaha and Lincoln the humidity is high). Ice fishing, snowdrifts as tall as the cattle - and amazing peace and quiet.

But the OP sounds too desperate to be thinking clearly and in panic mode (sorry). Yes it IS bad to move to a place where you are not aware of all of the factors involved; housing, cost of food, utilities, transportation, and available jobs that you not only CAN do but can afford to do. Living in your car isn't pleasant, especially without bathrooms or showers... or food or gas to go anywhere else. Do your research on the places you feel you would like, and check everything from newspapers and City-Data stats to Craigslist to get a feel for the areas you choose. What's available in your fields may surprise you, no matter what the "unemployment numbers" tell you - and you'll be able to start making a real, purposeful plan, with a decisive endgame, to get out of where you are.

Old 06-24-2011, 09:28 PM

1,337 posts, read 1,523,004 times
QUOTE: "...Would you move to a state just due to low unemployment?"

No. On my list of importance, that ranks pretty low. Not sure how low, but it would not be an exaggeration to say that it would probably be well past the 200'th mark on my list of criteria when I am choosing a state that interests me.

I can perhaps relate to how some people might put extra emphasis on it if they are hard up for work, and I can see it being on somebodies top 20 list, but the idea that it should be number 1 (if even in the top 10) frankly shocks me. Like people don't have more important things in this world that they could value, philisophically speaking. Hey, Jews are roasting in the ovens somewhere.... but golly gee, those employment figures sure look appetizing.

Old 06-25-2011, 12:19 PM

10,349 posts, read 13,947,673 times
I would not move anywhere unless I had a job and I knew I could afford to live there on the salary they paid me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues