Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2007, 11:14 AM

1,489 posts, read 8,798,843 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rwarky View Post
Please explain which areas are the best and worst. Thanks.
Revised it..

Overall, though, Charlottesville, Virginia is simply the best college town . I don't care much for UVA (other than the fine campus), but its just the epitome of a good college town.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2007, 09:45 PM

508 posts, read 1,513,012 times
For Midwest: Columbia, MO or Madison, WI
For South: Lexington, KY or Chapel Hill or Athens, GA
For West: SLO, CA or Corvallis, OR or Davis, CA
For NE: haven't really been to enough

Oxford, MS gets a lot of pub but other than the historical nature of the town I think it is overrated.

Old 06-21-2007, 10:49 PM

126 posts, read 620,918 times
I'm surprised no one has mentioned Fort Collins, CO on the "best list."

Old 06-22-2007, 12:46 AM

1,153 posts, read 4,559,734 times
New York City is a great college town.

In Montana, Bozeman and Missoula are good college towns. Butte for Montana Tech sucks, though.

Old 06-23-2007, 01:38 AM

1,903 posts, read 7,901,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vasinger View Post
Revised it..

Overall, though, Charlottesville, Virginia is simply the best college town . I don't care much for UVA (other than the fine campus), but its just the epitome of a good college town.
The pedestrian mall in downtown is nice, as are the hills south of it.

Old 06-23-2007, 11:23 AM

114 posts, read 510,830 times
Best: Vanderbilt, SMU, Georgia, Texas, Rhodes

Worst: Sam Houston State (Huntsville)

Old 06-23-2007, 08:09 PM

620 posts, read 1,747,069 times
What is part 2?

Old 06-23-2007, 08:38 PM

10,219 posts, read 15,931,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rwarky View Post
What do you consider to be the best and worst college towns in the country (U.S. only)?
Worst....sadly I'll say College Park, Maryland. The campus is absolutely beautiful and I LOVE my school, the academics, social life, parties, SPORTS, all of it. The town is okay but its surrounded by ghettos. Its like the surrounding county is Baghdad and the campus is the Green Zone. Prince George's County has a higher crime rate than Los Angeles and Miami. The town itself is nice but doesn't have that much to offer.

There are 3 bars (with the best deals and the sweetest bartenders) but there's only 3 and a new one that was supposed to have opened a year ago. Most of the town is a suburban strip with shopping centers. And its not a nice-looking suburb. The best restaurant we have in town is Applebees. We don't have Outback, Red Lobster, or Olive Garden.

I'll have to say the best I've been to are Charlottesville, Virginia, Chapel Hill, North Carolina, and Berkeley, California.

Old 06-24-2007, 08:06 AM

Location: from houstoner to bostoner to new yorker to new jerseyite ;)
4,084 posts, read 12,685,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BearBranch View Post
I think Tempe, AZ is actually a good college town. Berkeley is totally unique. The U District in Seattle is good (University of Washington) Eugene is good (University of Oregon) Rice Village in Houston is good. Austin is good. College Station (Texas A & M) is good. I wasn't imressed with Pulman (Washington State.
Ha! I never thought of Houston as a college town, but it does have four universities inside the loop (Rice, UH, University of St. Thomas, and TSU), not to mention HCC, UHD, and the medical schools in the Medical Center, and quite a few others outside, which make for a pretty lively atmosphere. Great nightlife, inexpensive rents if you don't want to live on campus, and lots of free or cheap things for students to do. I would say by the same token going to college in New Orleans was a blast.

Old 06-24-2007, 06:29 PM

1,903 posts, read 7,901,161 times
I just returned from Iowa City, very nice.

Hmm, City-Data does not have reported crime statistics for College Park, Maryland.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.