Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2010, 01:01 PM

52 posts, read 98,715 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Don't come South, its hot, muggy, buggy ,people go to church, talk slow, like guns, dogs, pickup trucks, country music, eat fried food and generally dislike people that know everything. You won't like it down here.
What's the problem with that. Take away muggy and buggy and it sounds like heaven to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2010, 01:19 PM

767 posts, read 2,291,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IAmNotFat View Post
What's the problem with that. Take away muggy and buggy and it sounds like heaven to me.
I spent a week camping in International Falls in July and that was the muggiest, buggiest place I've seen.

Old 07-17-2010, 01:35 PM

52 posts, read 98,715 times
I know. Take away hot and that description describes northern MN perfectly.

Old 07-17-2010, 10:24 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,165,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calisnuffy View Post
Is it hard to sell the South as a world class place to live and work? Has the South shed most of its negitive baggage? I know a lot a peoplethat have no desire to even visit the South. A moderen image is something thats being framed but is it where it needs to be? What do you think? Tell us why
If it's a hard sell, how come so many are buying?
Any part of the country will be a hard sell to some but not to others. The proof in the pudding is how people actually vote with their feet. By that metric, many parts of the South are not a hard sell at all.

Old 07-17-2010, 11:15 PM

1,250 posts, read 2,518,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
If it's a hard sell, how come so many are buying?
Any part of the country will be a hard sell to some but not to others. The proof in the pudding is how people actually vote with their feet. By that metric, many parts of the South are not a hard sell at all.
Although it is interesting that the parts that have the most negative aspects or perception thereof related to culture and especially racial issues are the slowest growing.

Old 07-17-2010, 11:20 PM
NCN

21,663 posts, read 25,630,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by breeze823 View Post
why try and sell it? it's a good kept secret! don't tell!
That is exactly what I was thinking of saying as I read through. I did not realize I was born in the best part of the country until so many started moving here. Our county was the fastest growing county in America for two years in a row and is still high up on the list. Our state has gained one position in the states population size. The biggest problem we have is how to take care of all those who are moving here with housing, water, schools, etc. We are purposely trying to slow down the growth. Many come here with the idea that they are going to help us improve until they stay her for about six months and come to realize we are years ahead of them in everything that matters. Shhhhh!!!!!

Last edited by NCN; 07-17-2010 at 11:28 PM..

Old 07-18-2010, 01:20 AM

14,317 posts, read 22,385,663 times
Default A very hard sell

Quote:
Originally Posted by calisnuffy View Post
Is it hard to sell the South as a world class place to live and work? Has the South shed most of its negitive baggage? I know a lot a peoplethat have no desire to even visit the South. A moderen image is something thats being framed but is it where it needs to be? What do you think? Tell us why
Count me among those who have no desire to acknowledge, visit, or even take seriously a segment of the country that is painted red each election year. I find the racial history of the South and its continuing reputation as a haven for bigots to be absolutely appalling. Any area of the country that is favored by the likes of Strom Thurmond, David Duke, Jesse Helms, Palin, Limbaugh, and so forth is not an area that I care about. Not in the least.

The South's image is a very hard sell...and this is an understatement.

Old 07-18-2010, 03:45 AM

13,809 posts, read 26,558,648 times
The South has solidly blue-counties if you're so offended by different opinions. Except when it went against McGovern New Orleans has pretty much always went for the Democrat. Charlottesville, Virginia voted strongly against a ban on same-sex marriage. Orange County, North Carolina is quite liberal and has some towns that have domestic partnership for gays. Although a fairly conservative town Roanoke, Virginia elected an African American Republican integrationist in 1975.

Old 07-18-2010, 09:11 AM

9,471 posts, read 10,805,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mccarley View Post
Don't come South, its hot, muggy, buggy ,people go to church, talk slow, like guns, dogs, pickup trucks, country music, eat fried food and generally dislike people that know everything. You won't like it down here.

That description could fit most of the state of Michigan as well if you remove hot and muggy, replace it with cold and snow. (although are summers can be hot and muggy, just short compared to dixie) The rest of it fits perfect. Its a mistake to think the south has all the rednecks and country folks, here in the upper midwest we have em too. Im pretty sure most would think I am one of those people. Ive got everything on that list but the dog. ( Im gone to much to have a dog)

Old 07-18-2010, 11:27 AM

370 posts, read 1,010,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexus View Post
Count me among those who have no desire to acknowledge, visit, or even take seriously a segment of the country that is painted red each election year. I find the racial history of the South and its continuing reputation as a haven for bigots to be absolutely appalling. Any area of the country that is favored by the likes of Strom Thurmond, David Duke, Jesse Helms, Palin, Limbaugh, and so forth is not an area that I care about. Not in the least.

The South's image is a very hard sell...and this is an understatement.
Just curious as to why you would have left Senator Byrd out of that list considering his KKK roots? Seems to me you see the world through blue colored glasses and not how it actually is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.