Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2007, 02:58 PM

332 posts, read 449,017 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
i do know EVERYONE isn't like this. see, here's the thing, and it's probably something a native texan isn't even aware of. it's not just the people. you see the "texas, it's a whole 'nuther country" mentality - EVERYWHERE. Billboards, businesses, TV! i remember calling my husband from houston or wherever and telling him "OMG - You can't drive 2 miles without something screaming TEXAS! in your face!" - businesses, "Bubba Ford - a big ford dealership for BIG Texas because you know, EVERYTHING is big in TEXAS!". Go a store with souvenirs and you'll see the theme on all over the darn place. You even have the slogan on license plates!!

I have a friend, native Texan, moved to NJ for work. She had a Texas flag hanging outside her house, and told me of an incident where a friend of her son insulted Texas to his face (stupid kid stuff) - he came home, told my friend, and she was LIVID. She explained to her son that he's NEVER to let anyone insult Texas like that, because "We're Texans!" (nevermind her son was born in NJ, lol). She went to the principal over it!! OMG! She's extreme, I know, but I seriously couldn't imagine this scene over ANY other state. BTW, she's back in Texas after 18 or so years and is happy, happy happy!

I have another friend in OH (native Texan) who has a Texas themed bathroom, LOL.

My old boss is a native Texan and I asked him about this after I returned from a business trip, and he completely understood what I was saying and he said the only thing he could think of was this started and propagated throughout time b/c Texas was once its own country. Otherwise, he's clueless, LOL.

I do think it's nice that Texans have pride in their state, I have pride in mine (and feel this state is SEVERLY misunderstood, much like some Texans feel about Texas), but no other place is as "in your face" about it.

Do you somewhat agree or am I overanalyzing? LOL
Sorry for sounding so offensive and stubborn. I guess I'm sort of like your friend and just didn't notice it until now=X.

My aunt lives in NC and she absolutely loves it. I believe she lives in Charlotte and me and my family plan on going up their maybe around Christmas time. I don't hate NC or people of NC, actually I've always wanted to visit there,because I've heard many wonderful things about it and also see many beautiful pictures.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2007, 02:59 PM

3,073 posts, read 11,574,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA View Post
It's one thing to have pride in your state, but some Texans are obsessed by the fact you better love it or off with your head.
But here's my bone to pick: how come New Yorkers don't get treated the same way for their grand pride in their city? (No comparison of New York to Texas, just an example)

Old 06-29-2007, 03:01 PM

332 posts, read 449,017 times
Quote:
It's one thing to have pride in your state, but some Texans are obsessed by the fact you better love it or off with your head.

Same with NC people.

Old 06-29-2007, 03:06 PM

12,283 posts, read 35,684,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpope409 View Post
But here's my bone to pick: how come New Yorkers don't get treated the same way for their grand pride in their city? (No comparison of New York to Texas, just an example)
is it as in your face as texas? as far as media, billboards, businesses - that sort of thing? this is a sincere question as I'm a NYC-metro native and I could be oblivious to it, as I suspect many texans are. do you have examples? i've also noticed with texas it's a statewide pheon, as opposed to NYC, where if it does exist, is just the city (and I'll go as far as saying only Manhattan, not the outer boroughs).

Old 06-29-2007, 03:26 PM

Location: from houstoner to bostoner to new yorker to new jerseyite ;)
4,084 posts, read 12,681,773 times
Quote:
is it as in your face as texas? as far as media, billboards, businesses - that sort of thing? this is a sincere question as I'm a NYC-metro native and I could be oblivious to it, as I suspect many texans are. do you have examples? i've also noticed with texas it's a statewide pheon, as opposed to NYC, where if it does exist, is just the city (and I'll go as far as saying only Manhattan, not the outer boroughs).
Yes, and unlike Texas, the constant barrage comes on a global scale. An example would be... the media! Pop culture... movies, TV, film... New York's got it all! As does L.A.... everywhere else is just flyover country. Not to mention the ex-pat NYers who can't find good pizza in their new cities of residence.

Old 06-29-2007, 04:39 PM

3,073 posts, read 11,574,232 times
Quote:
Well before you get me wrong, first of all, I love NYC with most of my heart. That city is family stomping grounds for me. I don't think Texas is the center of the universe, while I do think that New York probably is (and it's not much of a stretch by saying that. There's not much New York doesn't have). All I'm saying is, how come New Yorkers don't get criticized for sayings such as "New York is the greatest place ever"..."center of the universe"? But if Texans should say something like that, they're seen as ignorant cowboy hoohahs that are cocky for no reason.

Old 06-29-2007, 04:49 PM

2,639 posts, read 3,224,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by houstoner View Post
KG, every Texan is from somewhere else! Haven't you realized that by now? That's partly why we got a reputation for being friendly and welcoming. As you can see from this thread, we want to make Texans out of all of you!

No, actually from reading these threads, I'm learning that only the native Texans matter to Texas. They are not from some other place even though their ancestors may have been.

I love your post, but haven't you read any of the threads where the "real" (or natives or however they prefer to be known) Texans are wanting everyone but them to go away. I believe they mean it.

I must say though, it's alway refreshing to hear from someone like you who truly does have it together, if you will. I'm glad you're not a Texas fanatical.

I do not think Texas is all cowboys and tumbleweeds. I think people who have never been here may think such, but we that live here know that isn't true.

Last edited by KewGee; 06-29-2007 at 05:03 PM..

Old 06-29-2007, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post
KewGee it wasn't Yankees but many Tennesseans such as Davy Crockett.
Sorry, but many Yankees and those from other countries fought and won the independence for Texas. I know it's hard to swallow for many Texans who dislike the Yanks, but facts are facts. They definitely contributed greatly in the battles. For the sake of saving time, I'm listing a link below to what I wrote the other day on one of the threads pertaining to the heros of Texas' independence.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/texas...ig-deal-8.html

Old 06-29-2007, 05:06 PM

Quote:

She's right. I've lived here long enough to know that is a fact. As one poster said, they're not all like that, but I would say the majority of them truly are.

Old 06-29-2007, 05:10 PM

Quote:
i do know EVERYONE isn't like this. see, here's the thing, and it's probably something a native texan isn't even aware of. it's not just the people. you see the "texas, it's a whole 'nuther country" mentality - EVERYWHERE. Billboards, businesses, TV! i remember calling my husband from houston or wherever and telling him "OMG - You can't drive 2 miles without something screaming TEXAS! in your face!" - businesses, "Bubba Ford - a big ford dealership for BIG Texas because you know, EVERYTHING is big in TEXAS!". Go a store with souvenirs and you'll see the theme on all over the darn place. You even have the slogan on license plates!!

I have a friend, native Texan, moved to NJ for work. She had a Texas flag hanging outside her house, and told me of an incident where a friend of her son insulted Texas to his face (stupid kid stuff) - he came home, told my friend, and she was LIVID. She explained to her son that he's NEVER to let anyone insult Texas like that, because "We're Texans!" (nevermind her son was born in NJ, lol). She went to the principal over it!! OMG! She's extreme, I know, but I seriously couldn't imagine this scene over ANY other state. BTW, she's back in Texas after 18 or so years and is happy, happy happy!

I have another friend in OH (native Texan) who has a Texas themed bathroom, LOL.

My old boss is a native Texan and I asked him about this after I returned from a business trip, and he completely understood what I was saying and he said the only thing he could think of was this started and propagated throughout time b/c Texas was once its own country. Otherwise, he's clueless, LOL.

I do think it's nice that Texans have pride in their state, I have pride in mine (and feel this state is SEVERLY misunderstood, much like some Texans feel about Texas), but no other place is as "in your face" about it.

Do you somewhat agree or am I overanalyzing? LOL

You are totally not overanalyzing what you're saying. It is true and often times, quite sickening. I meant to give you a rep point for the post above, but I think I may have accidentally given it to you for another post. Nevertheless, I gave you one for something.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.