Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2011, 11:29 PM

1,574 posts, read 5,115,409 times

Advertisements

I've visited various parts of the South, but because I've not lived there nor know many Southerners, I'm unable to discern between the various Southern accents- they are just deemed "Southern Accent" in my mind but I guess there are many variations.

Also, if I am in a room with someone from Nebraska, Arizona, or Maryland- I do not know if I will be able to distinguish them based on their accent.

I know others who confuse other accents outside the American accents too- even Australian for British (of which there are many variations); Australian for South African; I know many people overseas who cannot differentiate between General American and Canadian too...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2011, 03:03 AM

3,635 posts, read 10,742,367 times
I agree with you about the Southern thing, and I'm from the South. I do think there are plenty of different kinds of Southern accents, but in my experience, they're usually not tied to region. They're tied to class, race, age, rural vs urban, and other factors. I can hear several different variations of a Southern accent in the same area. I think this is true throughout most of the South. I can listen and tell if someone is from the country or from the city, but I have a hard time telling the difference between East TN & West TN. Certain specific areas do have their own unique accent, like Southern Louisiana, Charleston, etc.

Last edited by Smtchll; 12-30-2011 at 04:12 AM..

Old 12-30-2011, 03:24 AM

7,723 posts, read 12,616,432 times
Being a Floridian, surprisingly, I am able to discern many accents across the country. Including the New York boroughs and Jersey. The only one I have a hard time discerning really is the urban Philly and urban Jersey accent. I really can't tell the differance sometimes. I might guess one and it is actually the other. So that's my only one.

Old 12-30-2011, 07:26 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,895,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
Being a Floridian, surprisingly, I am able to discern many accents across the country. Including the New York boroughs and Jersey. The only one I have a hard time discerning really is the urban Philly and urban Jersey accent. I really can't tell the differance sometimes. I might guess one and it is actually the other. So that's my only one.

Urban Jersey is basically a NY accent (which shouldnt sound at all like a Philly accent) for the most part unless you are saying a South Jersey accent which is basically a Philly accent. New Jersey has two distinct accents influenced and largely similar to either a NYC or Philly accent

Old 12-30-2011, 07:36 AM

Jersey Talk - YouTube

Though most of this video has more of Philadelphia influenced accent (which given it appears to be filmed in the Ventnor/AC area would make sense with more a Philly accent), especially the Italian girl and how she says three

The two guys on the beach are more hybrid Philly/Baltimore accent and the brunnette with them has a suburban Philadelphia accent, the first dude is more central Jersey which has some North (NYC) and South (Philly) accent; though a few key words would to me place it slightly more Philly. The closest NYC accent I hear is when the professor says "Philadelphia" FWIW

Last edited by kidphilly; 12-30-2011 at 07:56 AM..

Old 12-30-2011, 08:04 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,271,907 times
People from the northeast mostly sound alike to me. I can hear a difference between New England vs New York/New Jersey, but that's about it.

Same with the midwest; they all sound alike to me.

Old 12-30-2011, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
People from the northeast mostly sound alike to me. I can hear a difference between New England vs New York/New Jersey, but that's about it.

Same with the midwest; they all sound alike to me.
I hear that a lot; people think I have a NY accent (to me Philly and NYC are vastly different; I can usually tell in the first two words even without key accent words), which I dont think even my Philly accent is strong sans a few words (water, daughter etc.)

I agree on the Midwest, especially outside the large cities

TX today seems to have no real distinct accent among the large cities nor the west coast in general

The Southeast has some distinct accents though also being mitgated among the larger metros

Old 12-30-2011, 08:12 AM

1,125 posts, read 2,347,374 times
Honestly I may take a lot of heat for this one, but to me the Baltimore accent really resembles the NYC accent. In the wise words of a person I once knew: the farther east you head from I-81, the harder time people have pronouncing their R's

Old 12-30-2011, 08:13 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,271,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
I hear that a lot; people think I have a NY accent (to me Philly and NYC are vastly different; I can usually tell in the first two words even without key accent words), which I dont think even my Philly accent is strong sans a few words (water, daughter etc.)

I agree on the Midwest, especially outside the large cities

TX today seems to have no real distinct accent among the large cities nor the west coast in general

The Southeast has some distinct accents though also being mitgated among the larger metros
A lot of people in big cities in Texas don't have a Texas accent because they're not actually from here. There are regional differences in Texas accents but even I have trouble telling them apart and I was born and raised here. I'm told I have a "mild twang" which seems pretty typical for people who are native to north Texas.

Old 12-30-2011, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by escilade18 View Post
Honestly I may take a lot of heat for this one, but to me the Baltimore accent really resembles the NYC accent. In the wise words of a person I once knew: the farther east you head from I-81, the harder time people have pronouncing their R's

Baltimore is more similar to Philly than NYC, Baltimore is a slightly more southern influenced version of the Philadelphia accent (of which there are some southern influences in the Philly accent non existent in the NY accent)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.