Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2012, 09:01 AM

4,409 posts, read 6,543,919 times

Advertisements

I am Scots-Irish and English.

Father's side is Scottish and English, mother's side is almost purely Irish.

There's a tad of French and German here and there but not a lot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2012, 10:57 AM

Location: Jefferson City 4 days a week, St. Louis 3 days a week
2,709 posts, read 5,097,146 times
Father's side: 1/2 Scottish, 1/2 German.

Mother's side: 3/5 German, 1/5 English, 1/5 Russian.

Old 04-06-2012, 03:21 PM

3,247 posts, read 9,051,760 times
New Orleans has a large Sicilian population too

Old 04-06-2012, 03:23 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,420,711 times
see profile.
everybody in the world thinks there is an american culture and identity except us. 500 years of being americans.
i am not a hyphenated american.

Old 04-06-2012, 04:02 PM

1,222 posts, read 2,279,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
see profile.
everybody in the world thinks there is an american culture and identity except us. 500 years of being americans.
i am not a hyphenated american.
+1
I always found it interesting how some Americans identify with their ancestry so much although they have not more in common with those countries than any other American. It's of course not a bad thing to know where your roots are, but some people exaggerate the significance of that nowadays. Most Americans are just that. Americans. And there's nothing wrong or bad about that.

Old 04-06-2012, 07:42 PM

26,407 posts, read 46,581,861 times
Western and Northern European:
English, Irish, German, Scandinavian.

Old 04-06-2012, 08:17 PM

3,969 posts, read 13,666,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob702 View Post
+1
I always found it interesting how some Americans identify with their ancestry so much although they have not more in common with those countries than any other American. It's of course not a bad thing to know where your roots are, but some people exaggerate the significance of that nowadays. Most Americans are just that. Americans. And there's nothing wrong or bad about that.
Well said.

Old 04-07-2012, 11:12 AM

4,100 posts, read 4,516,932 times
Mostly Norwegian, Dutch and English. I identify with these 3 the most.

With a little bit of Swedish, Belgian, French, German and Russian thrown in.

Old 04-07-2012, 02:28 PM

7,855 posts, read 10,290,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash XY View Post
There are plenty of answer like that in the West and the Northeast. One county is 15 % German, 14 % English, 13 % Irish and 10 years later is 19 % English, 16 % German and 15 % Irish. Its always changes. If you compare the 1980, 1990 and 2000 US census you'll see there's a lot changes.

so the domination of German ancestry isn't so strong. For example German is the largest ancestry in almost every counties in Minnesota but Scandinavian American which is slightly below have a much greater presence culturally in Minnesota.

You're right. People who say they're of American ancestry are generally of English, Scottish, Scots-Irish and Welsh ancestry but their families have been in this country so long that they choose to identify simply as having "American" ancestry or don't know their own ancestry.

The south didn't receive a lot of immigrants during the great wave of immigration in the 19th century so most southerners ancestries goes back to the thirteen colonies where most American were of British descent.

the founding nation of a country is often not included when it comes to listing the nations largest ancestry group , for example , its often said that italians are the largest immigrant group in argentina , they are but only if you dont count the spanish , the spanish were the founding fathers so are not counted , i could be wrong but i always assumed that when it comes to declaring ancestry in america , england would be way out in front but since they were the founding fathers , thier not counted and so german american is recognised as the number one ethnic - cultural backround

just a thought

Old 04-07-2012, 06:49 PM

399 posts, read 820,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irish_bob View Post
the founding nation of a country is often not included when it comes to listing the nations largest ancestry group , for example , its often said that italians are the largest immigrant group in argentina , they are but only if you dont count the spanish , the spanish were the founding fathers so are not counted , i could be wrong but i always assumed that when it comes to declaring ancestry in america , england would be way out in front but since they were the founding fathers , thier not counted and so german american is recognised as the number one ethnic - cultural backround

just a thought
I agree, that's why the real number of English American is difficult to estimate. It's the same problem with English Canadian, French Canadian, Portugese Brazilian,...

I read somewhere too that over 50 % of Argentine population is of Italian and Spanish descent. It's interesting
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.