Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-07-2012, 04:31 PM

654 posts, read 1,910,472 times

Advertisements

Worst is whatever accent that is where people put an R at the end of words ending in A, like Cubar.

Old 08-07-2012, 04:58 PM

1,370 posts, read 3,054,859 times
For me it would have to be the Chicano accent you hear in East LA and other lower class, Hispanic areas. This accent is found in people who grew up in the US around other Latinos, NOT people who were born and raised in Mexico. It's that kind of accent you associate with cholo(a)s, it's so annoying and I hear it a lot where I live. It literally makes me want to bang my head in, especially when they're a young girl who also sounds a bit valley girl (another accent I hate).

Old 08-07-2012, 05:38 PM

6,616 posts, read 13,833,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pgm123 View Post
I've heard a defense of it. Here's the short version: For teen pop, it's good. It has a really good hook and solid vocals. You can't judge it as you would a ground-breaking rock song. You have to judge it on its own merits. Compared to something like Friday, it's very good.
The sound of an old man farting is better than that ridiculous Friday song. I admit, I'd rather listen to Call Me Maybe though instead of Friday. But there is no defense for how unbelievably annoying and repetitive that dumb song is.

http://media-saver.com/wp-content/up...pg?w=500&h=535

Quote:
Originally Posted by owenc View Post
Yes I am going next year I love America it's amazing. Really? Can you not even notice the difference between Scottish and English? Suppose it's the same as me I can only identify new York/new jersey and southern American accents.
I can tell the difference. I was just saying they both annoy me.

Old 08-07-2012, 07:06 PM

88,588 posts, read 84,818,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by owenc View Post
There is this cooking show an it's American. They cook cakes and at the end they always present the cakes. Well there's this boy who says presentation prisintation. That really annoys me. Who on earth says presintation like that? G

the annoying accent for me is the new jersey and broycklyn accents. They sound Italian not American.
That's not a New Jersey accent. That's an accent on TV shows pretending to take place in New Jersey but using people with New York accents. People in NJ do not speak like people in Brooklyn. Hell, most people in Brooklyn don't speak like people in Brooklyn anymore!

Old 08-07-2012, 09:41 PM

229 posts, read 469,174 times
A southern accent on a gorgeous blonde girl is to die for <3

Old 08-08-2012, 03:21 AM

20,633 posts, read 23,881,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by portlanderinOC View Post
For me it would have to be the Chicano accent you hear in East LA and other lower class, Hispanic areas. This accent is found in people who grew up in the US around other Latinos, NOT people who were born and raised in Mexico. It's that kind of accent you associate with cholo(a)s, it's so annoying and I hear it a lot where I live. It literally makes me want to bang my head in, especially when they're a young girl who also sounds a bit valley girl (another accent I hate).
That TOO is really annoying.

Old 08-08-2012, 03:23 AM

20,633 posts, read 23,881,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
That's not a New Jersey accent. That's an accent on TV shows pretending to take place in New Jersey but using people with New York accents. People in NJ do not speak like people in Brooklyn. Hell, most people in Brooklyn don't speak like people in Brooklyn anymore!
No its this show.

Cupcake Wars - YouTube

That boys accent is so annoying. AT 0.16 he says prisintation. : @@ LOL

Old 08-08-2012, 10:46 AM

Location: Jefferson City 4 days a week, St. Louis 3 days a week
2,709 posts, read 5,098,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GunnerTHB View Post
I don't know how common the accent is anymore but you can sure tell when someone has the strong accent. It doesn't annoy me too much in small doses but I don't think I could take hearing it all day! lol

I met a guy from St. Louis who is in his early 20's and he has a little bit of the accent, but it isn't too bad.
Are you sure? I've never met anybody my age or younger who talks like that. I'm telling you, the accent is disappearing.

Old 08-08-2012, 04:59 PM

2,122 posts, read 3,687,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stlouisan View Post
Are you sure? I've never met anybody my age or younger who talks like that. I'm telling you, the accent is disappearing.
Well you would know more about it than me so I'm not going to disagree with you. It sure sounds different than anything I've heard in the rest of Missouri. Maybe it is a hint of the Northern Cities Vowel Shift, but I'm not sure if that is occuring in St. Louis?

Old 08-08-2012, 11:34 PM

Location: Approximately 50 miles from Missoula MT/38 yrs full time after 4 yrs part time
2,308 posts, read 4,123,568 times
Default regarding accents as related to the Chgo area,,,,

In my opinion a normal guy who went through a north side (Chgo) grade school and Highschool and hung arounf with 20 or so of his class mates from similiar living circumstances...........he would have a noticable accent that would identify him as being frommthe north side..............................On the other side of the coin, the guys from 63rd and Halsted would have enough of a different accent that it was certainly enough to indicate they were surely not "north-side guys"...................just my opinion from my experience gathered from approx 1947 through 1960. ........As far as today goes..................I don't know........way too many other races and nationalities are now part of the "picture"............haven't livd back there for many, many years,.........so my knowledge isn't very valid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.