Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: New York City is more associated with:
New Jersey & Connecticut 98 93.33%
Upstate New York 7 6.67%
Voters: 105. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2012, 12:05 AM

115 posts, read 118,337 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by john_starks View Post
CT hates NJ, NJ hates LI, LI thinks they're the center of the universe

Westchester thinks they're Manhattan

life is hierarchy event if its not true

Exactly, extremely provincial areas, which is why theyre all the same.

All heavily populated by Italians, similar pace of life, lifestyle etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2012, 12:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycjowww View Post
westchester, rockland, do not count. maybe the op forgot to label that.

But us new yorkers dont refer to westchester county as upstate.

as a matter of fact i have speaking difficulties when i say westchester and upstate in the same sentence.

Its in our genes.

"Us New Yorkers"? Where am I from?

Plenty of circles consider Westchester Upstate.

I know much more that do than dont.

Old 08-14-2012, 12:08 AM

6,836 posts, read 15,399,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyMotts View Post
"Us New Yorkers"? Where am I from?

Plenty of circles consider Westchester Upstate.

I know much more that do than dont.
no you dont.

Old 08-14-2012, 12:09 AM

Quote:
no you dont.

Right, just like transplants dont move Upstate either.

Justin Williams, 16, of upstate Utica, is shot dead in the Bronx* - New York Daily News

Quote:
Justin moved upstate to Utica about a year ago but was back in the city for the holidays to visit his grandparents at the Forrest Houses.
Detectives were investigating a motive for the murder.
Justin had no criminal record, and the brother and friend told police the suspects didn’t say a word before one of them opened fire.
On Tuesday afternoon, two police cars were parked near the scene of the shooting. Spencer Johnson, a 38-year-old truck driver, stopped there to drop his son off at a child care facility nearby.
“It's scary with this kind of thing happening right here,” he said.
“Kids are dying for no reason at all.”
Williams reportedly attended Utica’s Thomas R. Proctor High School, where students Tuesday spoke to grief counselors.
****ty article to reference but it supports my point.

There are many from the city that live upstate. Many.

Old 08-14-2012, 12:10 AM

12,883 posts, read 13,976,233 times
Quote:
Culturally speaking, North Jersey, southern Upstate NY counties, and CT are all the same.

How could immediate areas of NJ and CT be more NYC than Upstate counties NYC is actually connected to?

CT is more associated with NYC than Westchester? Theyre basically the same plot of land with an imaginary boundary.

and Westchester is considered Upstate by many. Which is why im debating the definition of Upstate here.
I think Westchester counts. But just because it's connected to more counties further up doesn't mean they're all the same. The metro area and city associations have to end somewhere. Going by your logic, you could say that California associates with NYC just because eventually, a New York County will lead to a CA county by way of other counties. It doesn't make sense. The association ends somewhere. And I think it's north of Westchester county. Where the news stops broadcasting, where NYC radio stations don't reach, and where you can't see NYC anymore. I live in Cranford. You can see NYC from the exit 137 (Cranford) parkway overpass. Can you see NYC from upstate New York (and I mean north of the metro region)? They make metro regions for a reason. It's because places within the metro region are all similar. And sometimes, even the boundaries are really reaching. For example, Pike County, PA? Really?

Buffalo has its own metro region. So does Syracuse. New Jersey doesn't. We're either Philly or New York. Mostly New York. You can't say that cities with their own metro regions are more connected to NYC than places within the NYC metro area. It makes zero sense.

Of course NYC and NY state cities/town are associated with one another. They're in the same state. Just overall, not more so than NJ is to NYC.

Old 08-14-2012, 12:13 AM

Quote:
Right, just like transplants dont move Upstate either.

Justin Williams, 16, of upstate Utica, is shot dead in the Bronx* - New York Daily News

****ty article to reference but it supports my point.

There are many from the city that live upstate. Many.
no it doesnt because transplants have nothing to do with this thread.

Old 08-14-2012, 12:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
I think Westchester counts. But just because it's connected to more counties further up doesn't mean they're all the same. The metro area and city associations have to end somewhere. Going by your logic, you could say that California associates with NYC just because eventually, a New York County will lead to a CA county by way of other counties. It doesn't make sense. The association ends somewhere. And I think it's north of Westchester county. Where the news stops broadcasting, where NYC radio stations don't reach, and where you can't see NYC anymore. I live in Cranford. You can see NYC from the exit 137 (Cranford) parkway overpass. Can you see NYC from upstate New York (and I mean north of the metro region)? They make metro regions for a reason. It's because places within the metro region are all similar. And sometimes, even the boundaries are really reaching. For example, Pike County, PA? Really?

Buffalo has its own metro region. So does Syracuse. New Jersey doesn't. We're either Philly or New York. Mostly New York. You can't say that cities with their own metro regions are more connected to NYC than places within the NYC metro area. It makes zero sense.

Of course NYC and NY state cities/town are associated with one another. They're in the same state. Just overall, not more so than NJ is to NYC.

Right, but my initial sticking point here is that the OP asks whether NYC is associated more with NJ/CT than Upstate, however, Upstate counties are included in the metro with NJ and CT.

It makes no geopraphical sense in any way, shape or form to include two but not the other. So the correct answer to his/her question would be all three.

Someone on page 1 or 2 said this.

Old 08-14-2012, 12:16 AM

Quote:
no it doesnt because transplants have nothing to do with this thread.

You brought it up earlier, course it does culturally speaking.

The only cultural aspect between Upstate and Downstate thats different is the pace of life, which would also be no different than the difference in pace of life in any other city/state region.

Most of PA isnt like Philly, right? IL to Chicago? MA to Boston? CA to LA/SF? WA to Seattle?

Old 08-14-2012, 12:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post

You cant see the skyline outside of the NJ metro region either.

but ill post this anyway..

From Suffern, NY (Rockland)

Old 08-14-2012, 12:19 AM

Quote:
You brought it up earlier, course it does culturally speaking.

The only cultural aspect between Upstate and Downstate thats different is the pace of life, which would also be no different than the difference in pace of life in any other city/state region.

Most of PA isnt like Philly, right? IL to Chicago? MA to Boston? CA to LA/SF? WA to Seattle?
um no i did not at all. You and others brought up transplant talk. my post state that transplants dont mean anything because if thats the case then nyc must be associated with atlanta, florida, maryland, virginia, and others as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.