Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-02-2012, 07:54 PM

14,020 posts, read 15,011,523 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
I've only known 2 or 3 people ever during my entire life in New England (26 years of my life) that had some sort of southern accent. Two were from Texas and one from Kansas. But that's it. It's VERY uncommon up here. I haven't heard one in years around here. Probably because more northerners relocate to the south than southerners relocating to the north.
Anywhere west of the Hudson is culturally different from New England
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2012, 08:03 PM

2,598 posts, read 4,924,801 times
nep 321, you are making yourself sound extremely provincial and sheltered. Maybe you should get out and travel a little more. Yikes!!

Old 12-02-2012, 08:08 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,937,981 times
Let me say it again, the real "culture shock" would come from the large population of non-Anglos as opposed to just politics.

Old 12-02-2012, 08:09 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,467,780 times
Quote:
I've only known 2 or 3 people ever during my entire life in New England (26 years of my life) that had some sort of southern accent. Two were from Texas and one from Kansas. But that's it. It's VERY uncommon up here. I haven't heard one in years around here. Probably because more northerners relocate to the south than southerners relocating to the north.
Agreed. We don't get many southern accents up here at all. Maybe a few transplants in Boston or around university areas.

Old 12-02-2012, 08:39 PM

3,755 posts, read 4,800,357 times
Quote:
It may depend on where you live. I know several people(over a dozen) from the south who currently live in the Boston area. They've moved up from Texas, Louisiana and Alabama.

Old 12-02-2012, 09:48 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,944,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAM88 View Post
It may depend on where you live. I know several people(over a dozen) from the south who currently live in the Boston area. They've moved up from Texas, Louisiana and Alabama.
I could see that happening in the Boston area, because it's a transient, world-class city. But in the rest of New England? Noooooo way. I only knew of 2 people here in Connecticut my entire LIFE that had a southern accent. And I'm 28 years old now. Trust me. It's an extreme rarity up here. Now, I know several southern transplants up here that DON'T have the southern accent lol. Although, I knew this one guy from Talladega, AL who claimed to have a southern accent, but to me it sounded like a British accent all the way. Weird.

Old 12-02-2012, 10:55 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,918,229 times
I think we all should start a collection fund so Nep can get the hell out of Connecticut and see the rest of the country. This is sad.

Old 12-02-2012, 11:29 PM

2,330 posts, read 3,810,480 times
Culture shock should be reserved for places where they eat weird food, have funny toilets and speak languages you don't understand.

Chick-fil-A vs Dunkin Donuts doesn't count as culture shock.

Old 12-03-2012, 03:43 AM

6,616 posts, read 13,828,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
I think we all should start a collection fund so Nep can get the hell out of Connecticut and see the rest of the country. This is sad.
Hahaha. I can kinda understand him though as that's how my mother and father were.

Old 12-03-2012, 04:16 AM

1,606 posts, read 3,410,816 times
You know what is weird...

A lot of people I have met and spoke with from the Northeast are so oblivious as to how the rest of the country is aside from their region. Some people are shocked that people need cars and cities aren't walkable in the south. Or in Texas, a buddy of mine was surprised that there were actual cities in Texas and not everyone was a cowboy. I have met people, not only from the Northeast, that are surprised that Texas isn't all desert and cactus. My mom is an immigrant from Europe and was devastatingly shocked as to how different things were in Texas. I have met several Northeasterners that are the same way. I don't know what it is, but I'd guess it's because the Northeast is a very liberal area and believes what is portrayed on the media about the different regions of the country.

I've always thought how funny it is how such educated people are so gullible and can have such a misconception to how the rest of the country really is outside of their region.

Luckily for me, I have traveled throughout the southern United States and throughout Europe and have grown up with such an open mind to new places. I've also learned to NEVER believe the media, or any television for that matter, and never travel to a new area without an open mind.

I have never been to the Northeast, but would love to go one day. Hopefully 19 years from now, or maybe longer, depending on when I want to retire and begin a new career, I can get an opportunity to move to a region of the United States I have never been to before, (preferably a major metropolitan area). That is one of my life goals.

Just remember, every region of the US will be different than yours. If you go in with an open mind, and are willing to meet new people and adapt to a new area and climate, there shouldn't be such a "culture shock" within the same country you live in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.