Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: East Coast vs. West Coast
East Coast 426 50.30%
West Coast 421 49.70%
Voters: 847. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2014, 09:41 PM

66 posts, read 91,360 times

Advertisements

There are only two great cities NYC and LA.

Rest is flyover
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2014, 10:05 PM

36,659 posts, read 67,548,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
Exactly. This thread has been focusing so much on Northeastern winters, those in the Southeast are probably scratching their heads because it's a whole different ballgame down there, especially in South Florida.
Yeah, so with the Southeast the issue is not winters, but summers. It's too hot and humid-but then so is the Northeast for that matter.

I just don't know how to eek out a win for y'all in the weather category as the WC pretty much owns as far as weather.

Old 01-04-2014, 10:28 PM

215 posts, read 379,302 times
Everyone has their opinion on weather! I enjoy four seasons - snow in the winter and warm weather for beaches in the summer.

Old 01-04-2014, 10:30 PM

66 posts, read 91,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Yeah, so with the Southeast the issue is not winters, but summers. It's too hot and humid-but then so is the Northeast for that matter.

I just don't know how to eek out a win for y'all in the weather category as the WC pretty much owns as far as weather.
That's how it works. You will see the New Yorkers on Sunset Blvd. tonight in West Hollywood. They come to us in winters and we go to them when they launch NY fashion week.

NYC and LA are forever spun in this marriage

Old 01-05-2014, 08:34 AM

36,659 posts, read 67,548,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Lunatic & A Therapist View Post
Everyone has their opinion on weather! I enjoy four seasons - snow in the winter and warm weather for beaches in the summer.
Yes, everyone does have an opinion.

I concur with Bert Sperling who was the first person to put out those comprehensive Best Places rankings back in the 80s and 90s when he said: "Thanks to the barrier of the Rocky Mountains, the West is almost immune to the stifling humidity of the Midwest and Eastern United States"

It's like a totally different world once we pass the Rocky Mountains.

On the other hand, it's so cool that our country has that sort of diversity. The downside is I fear such perfection has gone to heads of many of us on the West Coast. LOL

Old 01-05-2014, 10:27 AM

12,883 posts, read 13,996,977 times
Quote:

I concur with Bert Sperling who was the first person to put out those comprehensive Best Places rankings back in the 80s and 90s when he said: "Thanks to the barrier of the Rocky Mountains, the West is almost immune to the stifling humidity of the Midwest and Eastern United States"

On the other hand, it's so cool that our country has that sort of diversity. The downside is I fear such perfection has gone to heads of many of us on the West Coast. LOL
Trust me it has.

Old 01-05-2014, 12:44 PM

669 posts, read 916,459 times
Quote:

I don't know about suburbs but as far as large cities goes southern California cities like LA and San Diego can brag about dry heat to the southeast all they want, but not the northeast. Dry heat or wet heat or whatever, we have this thing called heat index to adjust for that. There is not that much difference between a New York and LA summer for example as far as outside weather. It's only hotter in New York by about 2-3 degrees at best when adjusted for heat index. It more than enough makes up for it with it's far more tolerable beach temps though. After summer, it's hotter in LA again year-round and it doesn't make the colors like the Northeast in Spring and Fall. What it does have over NYC is the cold. But it also doesn't get snow for those people that like that.

San Francisco on the other hand while can definitely brag about not being humid, but unlike southern California the weather there is not liked by most people. It doesn't work for people that like this thing called.... a summer with beaches and etc. Not that the beach was ever feasible with it's ocean temps lol. You would be better off in the East Coast of Canada for that. It's winters too while definitely warm in the winter compared to the Northeast, it's also however wet. It rains like about 1 in every 3 days on average from November to March. It's almost like a shortened Seattle. While most people do like rain from time to time, not like Seattle. Another thing you won't get is "real" snow for those who want that. There has apparently only been 10 measurable accumulations of snowfall recorded since 1852. I have been hearing it's suburbs is different weather from SF though, I guess you would know as you practically live in one. I don't know if Oakland is much different from SF. Don't really care much to look it up as it's not that relevant of a place.

PNW cities like Portland and Seattle come with their own problems with that whole 9 months of gray sky and rain thing. They arguably have the best summers in the country for outside weather however. But don't even mention them for the usage of beaches though.

Last edited by yyuusr; 01-05-2014 at 12:57 PM..

Old 01-06-2014, 12:00 PM

5,281 posts, read 6,591,728 times
Yes the East Coast rightfully takes the lead.

Old 01-06-2014, 12:24 PM

4,156 posts, read 5,565,695 times
Quote:

Even that reflects a regional bias. The relative lack of humidity on the West Coast has more to do with our closest ocean, rather than our being sheltered from most air emanating from the East.

Old 01-06-2014, 12:25 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,524,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nslander View Post
Even that reflects a regional bias. The relative lack of humidity on the West Coast has more to do with our closest ocean, rather than our being sheltered from most air emanating from the East.
I'm pretty sure the mountain ranges of sierras and rockies play just as much as a role, that is why east of the rockies it is green, where due west it is arid. If the rockies weren't there the gulf air would just keep going, I mean, it makes it all the way up into Canada, so, why wouldn't it push west... It pretty much pushes all the way to the front range then stops.
And the Pacific Ocean is one of the only reasons you DO have green areas by the coast that at least get seasonal rain... it's not like it is raining all year round in Florida either, it's dry and humidity drops in the winter.

Last edited by grapico; 01-06-2014 at 01:27 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.