Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2023, 03:06 PM

12,837 posts, read 9,562,557 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
I think this is kind of a good point. Diversity purley for diversity isnt sophiticated. Really has basically zero to do with it. Upper Darby PA is highly diverse but I would never consider it sophisticated (sorry Todd Rudgren and Tina Fey)
Nailed it. Diversity does not equal sophistication.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2023, 04:45 PM

7,733 posts, read 6,460,736 times
Miami.

Glamorous on the outside, chongalicious on the inside

Old 05-23-2023, 04:55 PM

372 posts, read 203,601 times
I don't look at Miami as sophisticated...I look at it as a little sleazy...drugs, materialistic, etc. My impression will never change, I don't think. It isn't at all a place I would want to raise a family.

Old 05-23-2023, 04:57 PM

374 posts, read 258,187 times
I find many of those who brag about sophistication, have very little of it lol.

Old 05-23-2023, 05:03 PM

372 posts, read 203,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrampage View Post
I find many of those who brag about sophistication, have very little of it lol.
Definitely, sophisticates don't brag about it, they just are. Those who brag, are wannabes. I will say right now, I am not a sophisticate, but I know them when I know them. Not see them, but know them. You can't tell much of anyone's character, life, etc., by just "seeing" them. Some, try too hard. And, to me, at least, flashy is not sophisticated. I know it is to some, though.

Last edited by Bicala; 05-23-2023 at 05:47 PM..

Old 05-23-2023, 07:17 PM

7,733 posts, read 6,460,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bicala View Post
I don't look at Miami as sophisticated...I look at it as a little sleazy...drugs, materialistic, etc. My impression will never change, I don't think. It isn't at all a place I would want to raise a family.
Well, that's the point. Its very flashy, very expensive. Yachts, expensive dinners, parties, champagne popping... but underneath it all its very trashy. I grew up there. Proud to call it my hometown, prouder to have left when I was 20 lol Wouldn't wanna raise my kids in that environment.

Old 05-23-2023, 07:31 PM

12,837 posts, read 9,562,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
I'd say it plays an important role in a city's level of perceived sophistication. I don't really know of any nouveau riche cities that are truly seen as sophisticated. Cosmopolitan, yes...but not really sophisticated.

In that respect, while I wouldn't necessarily say Philly is a sophisticated city in absolute terms, I think it has an air of sophistication to it that a city like Denver probably lacks. That doesn't necessarily make it better or worse though.
I agree. Just because a city has blue collar people does not mean it's not sophisticated or worldly. Philly has that old money, ivy league vibe and presence. Definitely sophisticated.

Old 05-23-2023, 07:39 PM

6,808 posts, read 6,043,031 times
Malden, MA is the best answer to this thread that I can think of.

I’m sure I could get some actual data to back it up, but what really sealed the deal for me was going to a dive-y, hole-in-the-wall pizza joint in the city the other day and finding authentic Himalayan momo on their menu alongside buffalo wings and onion rings.

Old 05-23-2023, 08:11 PM

1,044 posts, read 567,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pincho-toot View Post
Well, that's the point. Its very flashy, very expensive. Yachts, expensive dinners, parties, champagne popping... but underneath it all its very trashy. I grew up there. Proud to call it my hometown, prouder to have left when I was 20 lol Wouldn't wanna raise my kids in that environment.
Spot on description, I think what you’re describing is exactly why I dislike the word “glamour”.

Wealth =/= “cosmopolitan” nor “sophisticated”.

Old 05-23-2023, 08:30 PM

7,270 posts, read 10,596,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
I agree. Just because a city has blue collar people does not mean it's not sophisticated or worldly. Philly has that old money, ivy league vibe and presence. Definitely sophisticated.
Indeed. The "old money" sophisticated history of Philadelphia gets overshadowed by its much more recent reputation for blue-collar grit, but it's absolutely as much part of the city's DNA as its former "workshop of the world" status.

Philadelphia was one of the first and by far one of the largest hubs of residents on the "Social Register," for one, which was a "gold standard" for sophistication.

A city also doesn't start off as the nation's capital by being a "backwater" town.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.