Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2013, 01:10 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,910,924 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Well, who cares about all of Philly's "old money", other than other Philadelphians?

I was wrong about CU, they actually have 8 Nobel Laureates.

As for Drexel, Villanova, and Temple, they all have the same number-0.

Penn is top notch, no doubt about it. The rest? Not so much.

List of Nobel laureates by university affiliation - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Are you suggesting the Denver cultural heritage and educational offerings are on par?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2013, 01:41 PM

132 posts, read 545,706 times
Education means more than just places to earn a degree. When one considers places to research, libraries, special collections, and historic documents, Philly blows Denver out of the water.

Beyond the University of Pennsylvania, The Philadelphia Museum of Art, and the US Colonial History, which all speak for themselves, Temple has amazing resources relating to Jewish history, pop culture, and rare books. The Rosenbauch Museum and Library is one of the premier collections of rare books in the world. Philadelphia also host the country's largest archives in African-American History.

I don't think many places can top Philadelphia for research, and certainly nothing in the Mountain Time Zone.

Old 11-18-2013, 01:54 PM

9,067 posts, read 15,794,327 times
Quote:
Well, who cares about all of Philly's "old money", other than other Philadelphians?

I was wrong about CU, they actually have 8 Nobel Laureates.

As for Drexel, Villanova, and Temple, they all have the same number-0.

Penn is top notch, no doubt about it. The rest? Not so much.

List of Nobel laureates by university affiliation - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
"Old Money"As it pertains to the subject,where money comes from and the level of sophistication and a cities cosmopolitan nature.

"The rest not so much?"Do you know how many colleges in Philly and their rankings in higher education?Denver is not even tops in that field in the West,none the less in the entire country.

Philly also has one of the largest concentrations of colleges and universities in the nation
Nobel Peace Prizes are nice but they mean nothing if the school has not a great reputation for overall excellence.Its just not that relevant.

What is 5 versus 8 compared to 28 at one school?Does not even matter if the highest ranking school in Denver(CSA) is more than 70 spots behind the first in Philly and almost beaten by the second one in Philly,Drexel.

Villanova U#1Regional University
St.Joesephs#11 Regional
La Salle#27 Regional Universities
Drexel U#97
U Penn#7
Temple#121
Lasalle#27

Denver
UC-Boulder-#86
UCDenver#190(but you knew that,that is why you posted U.C.-Boulder and not a school within the city limits.Nice try
U of Denver-#91
Johnson and Wales#74 Regional Universities
Regis University#27 Regional University

There are number of Fullbright Scholars,NIH Research Grants,Pulitzer Prize winners ,Rhodes Scholars and several other prestigious awards that matter and Philly excells in them all.

Old 11-18-2013, 05:00 PM

37,881 posts, read 41,933,711 times
Quote:
I'd say it plays an important role in a city's level of perceived sophistication. I don't really know of any nouveau riche cities that are truly seen as sophisticated. Cosmopolitan, yes...but not really sophisticated.

In that respect, while I wouldn't necessarily say Philly is a sophisticated city in absolute terms, I think it has an air of sophistication to it that a city like Denver probably lacks. That doesn't necessarily make it better or worse though.

Old 11-18-2013, 05:37 PM

9,961 posts, read 17,519,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
I'd say it plays an important role in a city's level of perceived sophistication. I don't really know of any nouveau riche cities that are truly seen as sophisticated. Cosmopolitan, yes...but not really sophisticated.
Yes that seems to be the perception on some levels as I've heard that before.

But what's really considered "old money" vs. "new money" these days? Like would the Kennedy's be considered "old money" at this point? They've had money a lot longer than any family I've ever known has had it...

I really don't know since I'm so cut off from any true blue blood old money types. The one person I met in my life was really "old money" was a descedent of the Hearst family who was a completely spoiled trust fund baby whose only interest in life was partying. On the other hand I know plenty of new money types or even people of fairly modest means who are one or two generations from working class parents or immigrant roots who seem to be fairly sophisticated in terms of culture. There is some old money in the Bay Area for example( in certain parts of San Francisco, but a lot of it seems to be dwarfed by fairly new money.

I understand that part of it is that "old money" has supported the high culture type of artistic establishments for much longer in some cities(opera, symphonies, museums, etc..). However, at this point there's all kinds of new money enclaves that have developed their own cultural scenes.

Last edited by Deezus; 11-18-2013 at 06:09 PM..

Old 11-18-2013, 05:57 PM

37,881 posts, read 41,933,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezus View Post
Yes that seems to be the perception on some levels as I've heard that before.

But what's really considered "old money" vs. "new money" these days? Like would the Kennedy's be considered "old money" at this point? They've had money a lot longer than any family I've ever known has had it...

I really don't know since I'm so cut off from any true blue blood old money types. The one person I met in my life was really "old money" was a member of the Hearst family who was a completely spoiled trust fund baby whose only interest in life was partying. On the other hand I know plenty of new money types or even people of fairly modest means who are one or two generations from working class parents or immigrant roots who seem to be fairly sophisticated in terms of culture. There is some old money in the Bay Area for example( in certain parts of San Francisco, but a lot of it seems to be dwarfed by fairly new money.

I understand that part of it is that "old money" has supported the high culture type of artistic establishments for much longer in some cities(opera, symphonies, museums, etc..). However, at this point there's all kinds of new money enclaves that have developed their own cultural scenes.
I'd say the family wealth has to run at least three generations deep to be considered "old money."

I think your last statement gets to the heart of it. It's the fact that those old money philanthropists played significant roles in the cultural endeavors of their cities that has brought about a certain air of sophistication that only comes with time. I think the new money cities will get there eventually, but only after those cultural scenes and trends have taken root over the course of several decades.

Old 11-18-2013, 08:20 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,729,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
"Old Money"As it pertains to the subject,where money comes from and the level of sophistication and a cities cosmopolitan nature.

"The rest not so much?"Do you know how many colleges in Philly and their rankings in higher education?Denver is not even tops in that field in the West,none the less in the entire country.

Philly also has one of the largest concentrations of colleges and universities in the nation
Nobel Peace Prizes are nice but they mean nothing if the school has not a great reputation for overall excellence.Its just not that relevant.

What is 5 versus 8 compared to 28 at one school?Does not even matter if the highest ranking school in Denver(CSA) is more than 70 spots behind the first in Philly and almost beaten by the second one in Philly,Drexel.

Villanova U#1Regional University
St.Joesephs#11 Regional
La Salle#27 Regional Universities
Drexel U#97
U Penn#7
Temple#121
Lasalle#27

Denver
UC-Boulder-#86
UCDenver#190(but you knew that,that is why you posted U.C.-Boulder and not a school within the city limits.Nice try
U of Denver-#91
Johnson and Wales#74 Regional Universities
Regis University#27 Regional University

There are number of Fullbright Scholars,NIH Research Grants,Pulitzer Prize winners ,Rhodes Scholars and several other prestigious awards that matter and Philly excells in them all.
All of CU's Nobel Prizes have been in the sciences, 6 in physics, 1 in chemistry, and 1 in physiology/medicine. Yes, Boulder is not in the city limits, nor is Villanova in the city limits of Philly. Big whoop at Philly's "regional universities". That is a lower level than "national university". Too bad Drexel "almost beats" the Colorado schools. It's still lower in ranking. Almost doesn't count.

In any event, I didn't say Denver was "better" than Philly. I just don't agree that Denver is somehow not as sophisticated as Philly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post

In that respect, while I wouldn't necessarily say Philly is a sophisticated city in absolute terms, I think it has an air of sophistication to it that a city like Denver probably lacks. That doesn't necessarily make it better or worse though.
What is a nouveau riche city? Denver's philanthropists, whether they are old money or new money, have donated plenty of money to the arts and education, e.g. the Boettchers, the Caulkins, the Evanses, Newmans, even the Coorses. Phil Anschutz gave a few millions for the new health sciences center.

Last edited by Katarina Witt; 11-18-2013 at 09:00 PM..

Old 11-18-2013, 08:46 PM

165 posts, read 276,939 times
Portland

Old 11-18-2013, 09:03 PM

9,961 posts, read 17,519,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sour cream View Post
Portland
It's neither cosmopolitan nor sophisticated.

Old 11-18-2013, 09:14 PM

1,772 posts, read 3,518,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sour cream View Post
Portland
I was about to ask Oregon or Maine? Then I realized it wouldn't make a difference!

White people smoking pot in the woods...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.