Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-06-2014, 10:57 AM

9,000 posts, read 10,175,334 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
LOL, horrible logic.

"It isn't the ugly scenery, it's you, hon".

"The only difference between Tuscany and Nebraska is your internal mindset".
Lol

Some twisted logic there!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2014, 10:59 AM

4,918 posts, read 6,465,929 times
I never met anybody who actually hated the midwest, this post is hilarious. The only negative I heard heard about the Midwest is that the landscape is flat and boring. Almost everyone I ever met loves Chicago and thinks its one of the best cities in the country, as for Detroit, St Louis, Cleveland I don't think anybody hates them.. they are just not big tourist attraction cities.

Old 11-06-2014, 02:26 PM

1,748 posts, read 2,578,779 times
The Midwest gets a lot of hate due to so much of it being full of ghost towns and significantly emptied out cities, all of which serve as reminders of a time when the US was an industrial and middle class power house.

Bad weather and crime don't help.

Old 11-06-2014, 03:28 PM

3,119 posts, read 6,601,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBideon View Post
The Midwest gets a lot of hate due to so much of it being full of ghost towns and significantly emptied out cities, all of which serve as reminders of a time when the US was an industrial and middle class power house.

Are you talking about the plains states? I have never seen a true ghost town in Michigan. Most of our small towns are nicer than what I've seen out west or down south. Same with Wisconsin, Indiana, etc. We probably take a back seat when it comes to small towns in New England or elsewhere in the northeast, but that's about it.

Old 11-06-2014, 03:40 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,363,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBideon View Post

What a goofy post!

Ghost towns? Parts of some cities (ie Detroit) have abandoned houses, but youre overexaggerating here, bud.

Crime? In some cities, yes. Its nothing different than anywhere else in the nation.

Old 11-06-2014, 03:41 PM

5,293 posts, read 6,056,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michigan83 View Post
Are you talking about the plains states? I have never seen a true ghost town in Michigan. Most of our small towns are nicer than what I've seen out west or down south. Same with Wisconsin, Indiana, etc. We probably take a back seat when it comes to small towns in New England or elsewhere in the northeast, but that's about it.
They are making incendiary comments about Midwestern cities to try and gode people into getting pissed off. Definitely not referring to actual ghost towns.

Old 11-06-2014, 06:27 PM

7,072 posts, read 9,612,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheese plate View Post
Well, neither is Duluth. Or Dubuque. Or the entirety of the Driftless. Or the Iron Range, or Black Hills or vast areas of the northwoods. But it's certainly much flatter than the Mountain West, for starters. Not to mention the Appalacians.
SE Ohio is in the midwest. But it is also Appalachian. It is also hilly. Now I am confused.

Old 11-06-2014, 06:38 PM

2,535 posts, read 3,278,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101
LOL, horrible logic.

"It isn't the ugly scenery, it's you, hon".

"The only difference between Tuscany and Nebraska is your internal mindset".
Quote:
Originally Posted by believe007 View Post
Lol

Some twisted logic there!!

That's our City-Data's. NOLA101.

Old 11-06-2014, 06:42 PM

2,535 posts, read 3,278,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ram2 View Post
SE Ohio is in the midwest. But it is also Appalachian. It is also hilly. Now I am confused.
Ohioans... seem to have issues if they ARE ACCUALLY IN OR they should be PART OF THE MIDWEST? Or NORTHEAST??
There are threads debating it.

Old 11-06-2014, 07:46 PM

5,234 posts, read 7,984,345 times
The rude comments I've noticed are from west or east coast snob types. The ones that think or wish they were something and see themselves higher in status by bragging about "the coast". These are also the types that speak of the Midwest as "flyover country".

From an article and map entitled Rank Order of States (continental 48) by Percentage of Area in Flattest Category, it's interesting that while Nebraska is the 20th flattest state, California is 24th. Missouri is in 21st place, Michigan 22nd flattest, and Wisconsin, 25th. Then there is New Jersey in 14th place, Maryland, 18th and Delaware is 6th. Out of the top 5 flattest states, 3 of them are in the south. Even the fair haired child, Colorado (ranked 31st), has some flatter areas of the state.

Michigan does have some nice small towns, they tend to look more northeastern, than southern or Midwestern. I see nothing wrong with what Michigan83 said. Reference Ohio, it would depend what part of the state they live in as to whether they identify more with the Midwest or the east. Just like the Panhandle of western Nebraska tends to identify more with Wyoming than eastern Nebraska.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.