Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What is Texas?
The South 97 51.87%
The Southwest 22 11.76%
The West 1 0.53%
The Midwest 3 1.60%
Can't categorize it. It's just Texas. 64 34.22%
Voters: 187. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2014, 06:47 AM

5,287 posts, read 5,791,370 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
Texas is different from the rest of the south because of it's distinct history. It is different from the rest of the south in that they have an exceptional pride in their distinct history. Generally I don't think in the "traditional" part of the south, the state pride thing is an issue like it is in Texas. I don't think the rest of the southern states play the "My state is better than your state" game like Texans do. But that's just part of being a Texan.
Louisiana certainly does. Texas isn't that much of an anomaly at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2014, 06:50 AM

2,004 posts, read 3,417,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SawBoi View Post
I couldn't understand a word that they were saying. I have a feeling that's not a bad thing.

Old 11-07-2014, 06:51 AM

4,792 posts, read 6,059,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mega man View Post
Southern states definitely play the game of "my state is more SOUTHERN than yours" pretty well. In this forum, I've learned that only TRUE BLUE (or Red) Southern states are South Carolina, Georgia (iffy), Alabama, and Mississippi.

Old 11-07-2014, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slingshot View Post
I couldn't understand a word that they were saying. I have a feeling that's not a bad thing.
That's Texas, though. You know, the state you love so much

Old 11-07-2014, 08:08 AM

17,798 posts, read 13,698,337 times
Quote:
Who does Louisiana think they are "better than", and why? And it's laughable that you don't think Texas is an anomaly in regard to state pride. A Texan would rather have all his teeth pulled than say anything good about my state of Oklahoma. And that's saying something because that's how they tell us Okies from themselves. They are the ones with teeth.

But seriously. Texans go to the mat on this board all the time in fighting about who's better. California, Florida. Pick a state. There isn't a Texan alive that would EVER say. 'Yeah, that state is better than Texas'.

The ubiquitous state flag, the lone stars on all the houses, the "bigger and better".

For instance, Metro Matt was on a thread talking about how with Texas' GDP they could "buy" all the states that border Texas twice over.

I looked on a Baylor Bear sports board (Baylor comes to play Oklahoma in football tomorrow). The thread was about "what to do in Norman, OK?" Besides, all the usual snide remarks one guy actually said, "I'm going to walk around knowing I'm better than everybody else".

In my experience, that type of mentality really doesn't exist in other southern states.

Old 11-07-2014, 08:41 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,392,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
What is culturally/historically about most of west Texas and most of New Mexico?
Huh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
Appearance means nothing in terms of shared culture and history values and traditions. Far as that goes, South Carolina has more in common with NE colonial states in terms of topography, and Tennessee with Ohio in some ways...but they are not in the same region.

Can you name even one influence that NM or AZ ever had on Texas???

And I repeat again, there are two "southwests". One, western South, the other "southern West.". To not notice the difference is myopic.
Sorry, man, but vaqueros, adobe dwellings, cowboys, mustangs, Spanish colonial architecture, mesas, red rocks, and the flora and fauna do not say "southern" whatsoever, they say "western". Western movies arent filmed in SE Texas for a reason. SE TX and Western Texas are two completely different animals, and even though they reside in the same state, theyre polar opposites.

Speaking of shared cultures, El Paso or Amarillo has more in common culturally with, say, Tucumcari than it does with Baton Rouge or Savannah. But if you moved over to SE TX, its a different story. You cannot possibly lump all TX together and brand it "southern" in culture and appearance, because thats not the truth.

Old 11-07-2014, 09:13 AM

3,092 posts, read 4,971,739 times
Quote:
Who does Louisiana think they are "better than", and why? And it's laughable that you don't think Texas is an anomaly in regard to state pride. A Texan would rather have all his teeth pulled than say anything good about my state of Oklahoma. And that's saying something because that's how they tell us Okies from themselves. They are the ones with teeth.

But seriously. Texans go to the mat on this board all the time in fighting about who's better. California, Florida. Pick a state. There isn't a Texan alive that would EVER say. 'Yeah, that state is better than Texas'.

The ubiquitous state flag, the lone stars on all the houses, the "bigger and better".

For instance, Metro Matt was on a thread talking about how with Texas' GDP they could "buy" all the states that border Texas twice over.

I looked on a Baylor Bear sports board (Baylor comes to play Oklahoma in football tomorrow). The thread was about "what to do in Norman, OK?" Besides, all the usual snide remarks one guy actually said, "I'm going to walk around knowing I'm better than everybody else".

In my experience, that type of mentality really doesn't exist in other southern states.
Have you ever spent time around Louisianans? They act like very other southern state besides them is bland with no culture just because of a small sliver of their state below I-10 that has an admittedly unique culture. The Louisianans on this forum absolutely relish being the darling southern state of northerners who like New Orleans.

Texas doesn't have the market cornered on arrogance. Look past your okie biases for a second

Old 11-07-2014, 09:15 AM

Quote:

Are we working with stereotypes here or facts? I'm a Texan and have no problem stating that some other place has an advantage over the state that I just so happened to have been raised in. I wouldn't bother arguing that one state is absolutely better than another, since each have their pros and cons.

As many Texans you have met who won't shut up about how great their state is, I'm sure I've met as many Louisianans. People underestimate their state pride because of its small size and limited power, but believe me its there.

Old 11-07-2014, 10:00 AM

My wife was born in Shreveport, Louisiana. She ran away from home at age 15 because she was tired of being called a Yankee by folks that were born down in Southern Louisiana......she did run away but not for that reason although it did happen.
By the way, she hates Texas. She just loves me because I'm so cute.

Last edited by slingshot; 11-07-2014 at 10:18 AM..

Old 11-07-2014, 10:15 AM

Quote:
That's Texas, though. You know, the state you love so much
There's many stories that come out of Texas and I would imagine that one is one I don't care about. Both of my sons like that type of 'music', but I don't and never will. Regardless, Texas rocks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.