Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2014, 01:52 PM

1,675 posts, read 2,840,285 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by waviking24 View Post
Lets be real, no one cares about any of the countries south of Mexico.
yes they do, i met americans who love colombia, in fact plenty go to party in colombia... i also know plenty of americans who love to visit brazil and argentina...

as a south american it can be very tough to be in the US, you do not exist as you're a small minority and everyone puts you with the mexicans which you as south american don't really identify with.... it's sort of like not existing
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2014, 01:52 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,496,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaii4evr View Post
But look at the old Islamic paintings--the people in them have East Asian features. Gradually as the people there began mixing with other groups, those features generally weren't as prominent, but it's still there. A lot of North African and West Asian people I know, in the Census, either put in 'Other', 'Mixed/Two or More Races', and sometimes even 'Black' or 'Asian'.
Islamic paintings? Islamic art typically doesn't have depictions of people.

Old 10-20-2014, 01:56 PM

5,294 posts, read 10,211,665 times
I'm referring to this kind of thing:

Old 10-20-2014, 01:56 PM

8,011 posts, read 11,405,966 times
^ Lol they look Chinese.

Asia is a huge continent with diverse people. Dravidian, Arab, Aryan, Chinese and all mixed in together.

How do you refer to east Asians as one group? Mongoloid doesn't sound nice, so
I said Chinese to not have to say oriental either.

Old 10-20-2014, 01:57 PM

1,675 posts, read 2,840,285 times
Quote:
I'm referring to this kind of thing:
I think your painting is central asian rather than arab babe

Old 10-20-2014, 01:57 PM

5,294 posts, read 10,211,665 times
I never said it was Arab. And actually, it's Persian.

Old 10-20-2014, 02:29 PM

14,353 posts, read 17,034,992 times
Quote:
But look at the old Islamic paintings--the people in them have East Asian features. Gradually as the people there began mixing with other groups, those features generally weren't as prominent, but it's still there. A lot of North African and West Asian people I know, in the Census, either put in 'Other', 'Mixed/Two or More Races', and sometimes even 'Black' or 'Asian'.
The original Turks were of Siberian antecedents, meaning they were somewhat Asian looking when they invaded Asia Minor (although already mixed up a bit through invasion of Central Asia). That said, they formed a ruling class over a largely Greek/Armenian area, and although they gave Turkey its modern day language, they provided relatively little genetic influence.

Besides Turkish-speaking groups (which are also found in parts of Iran, and to a very limited extent in the mountains of Iraq) there are not really many groups which were Asian influenced in the Middle East. The Mongols sacked Baghdad, but didn't really leave any genetic legacy in the area (unlike say Russia, where they certainly did leave something behind). The only Near Eastern group which has a lot of Mongol influence are the Hazara in Afghanistan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
How could they embellish their whiteness when they're white? Why would it matter whether they're from Spain, Italy, or Germany? Aregntina is whiter than the US.
Actually recent genetic studies have shown the average Argentine is on the order of 15% Native American. Not enough show up in terms of their phenotype (e.g., looks) but enough that they're more mixed than the average U.S. White. In aggregate though the country is surely whiter overall than the U.S.

Quote:
I've been to Spain. Many if not most didn't look that different from Americans feature-wise. Though fewer had light hair, it was more proportions than something drastically obvious. Doubt Italy would be any different.
I always find looking at national soccer teams a good way to get an idea of what the average (fit male) looks like in a country.

Looks pretty damn white to me.

Old 10-20-2014, 02:32 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
Actually recent genetic studies have shown the average Argentine is on the order of 15% Native American. Not enough show up in terms of their phenotype (e.g., looks) but enough that they're more mixed than the average U.S. White. In aggregate though the country is surely whiter overall than the U.S.
Didn't know that, I wonder if the cities which I assume got more European immigration in the 19-20th centuries are less mixed.

Old 10-20-2014, 02:35 PM

14,353 posts, read 17,034,992 times
Quote:
Didn't know that, I wonder if the cities which I assume got more European immigration in the 19-20th centuries are less mixed.
IIRC yes. The most Native American ancestry is found in the Northwest of Argentina, which isn't surprising given that's where there were the highest populations of Native Americans originally, and it's an area that attracted few migrants in the 19th century. People in Buenos Aires have less Native American ancestry, but generally speaking unless they can trace all of their ancestry to 19th/20th century immigrants they are at least a little mixed.

Old 10-20-2014, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
IIRC yes. The most Native American ancestry is found in the Northwest of Argentina, which isn't surprising given that's where there were the highest populations of Native Americans originally, and it's an area that attracted few migrants in the 19th century. People in Buenos Aires have less Native American ancestry, but generally speaking unless they can trace all of their ancestry to 19th/20th century immigrants they are at least a little mixed.
Probably not uncommon, similar to many white Americans from in or near northeastern and some midwestern US cities. The current pope is likely one of those. Argentina got a mix of southern and northern Italians immigrants, while the US was mostly southern Italian immigrants.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.