Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2014, 05:24 PM

1,342 posts, read 3,245,990 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamtonfordbury View Post
West Virginia and Arkansas. Landlocked states covered with mountains, had Rockefeller politicians, border non-Southern states even though they are notorious "hillbilly" states, have a single powerhouse college football team with crazy fans, and are both under 3 million people.
And they both support the Steelers.

https://twitter.com/DICKS/status/515610250544947200
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2014, 05:32 PM

2,341 posts, read 3,597,937 times
Quote:
I think you are being needlessly contrarian just for the sake of it. Likening Florida/California comparison to Florida/Ohio is stretching. I think if you ask most people in the country what they associate with "beach culture", Florida, and California, and Hawaii are probably going to be their top three. The "left coast" California is pretty exaggerated anyway. How many famous Republicans and evangelical Christians came from that state? I'd say they are up there with Florida in being swing state outside of the major metros.
Ah... I see you edited your post here long afterwards to add this little jab. I was being civil, but since you want to go this way with it, then let's go.

First of all, I wasn't being "contrarian just for the sake of it". I was disagreeing with you based upon my own actual experience of living in one of these states. You never lived in either, so where do you get off? Oh, that's right... you've visited them. How insightful. You do realize that simply disagreeing doesn't equate with being "contrarian just for the sake of it", right? People experience things differently, oh well. And if you read back on what I wrote about Ohio, you'll see that I only mentioned it because it has multiple cities, the same way Florida does, because you were using that factor to compare CA and FL. Way to take that one out of context.

Yes, people equate "beach culture" primarily with CA, FL, and Hawaii. However, they're three different kinds of beach culture. I'm taking complexities and nuance into account here. You're just looking at what's on the surface.

And why are you bringing politics and religion into this? Pick any highly populated state and you're going to get famous politicians from both ends of the spectrum, and religious nuts as well. That doesn't have anything to do with what I was talking about earlier.

Like I said, I'm not trying to change your opinion here. Just don't expect me to agree with it. And don't accuse me of being contrary for the sake of being contrary when all I'm doing is having a difference of opinion with you.

Old 11-27-2014, 08:34 AM

194 posts, read 240,736 times
Quote:
West Virginia and Arkansas. Landlocked states covered with mountains, had Rockefeller politicians, border non-Southern states even though they are notorious "hillbilly" states, have a single powerhouse college football team with crazy fans, and are both under 3 million people.
Arkansas is a completely Southern state and West Virginia is mostly Southern.

Old 11-28-2014, 12:26 PM

3,453 posts, read 4,530,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Campeador View Post
Mostly a solid post. I'd put the prairie in MN at about 1/4 to 1/3 of the western part though, certainly not 2/3.
Nah, it "sounds" logical and is presented in a nice format and all but anyone who knows Michigan knows it's BS. MN/MI is a much, much closer comparison than MI/NY.

Old 11-28-2014, 12:49 PM

172 posts, read 292,072 times
Quote:
Take out the mountains, and add some humidity, and California becomes Florida. Compare Miami Beach to Venice Beach. Both have heavy Spanish-speaking populations. Both are drug gateways into America from Latin American growers. Both have some really old Spanish missions and forts. Both have a comparable number of large urban areas. Both grow a lot of oranges. Both are known for theme parks, and each house a Disney park (the only two in the United States.) I could go on.

Texas is an even more bizarro version of the two.
This is absurd. CA and FL, aside from a few superficial similarities between South Florida and Southern CA (i.e. Miami and LA), have very little in common. CA is socially and politically very progressive, has some of the best universities in the world, has multiple very urban environments, has a very educated population overall - FL is not like that at all.

Also, FL has nothing remotely like San Francisco and the Bay Area, has no deserts or redwood forests, there is nothing like Lake Tahoe, no mountains, etc. CA is polar opposite from the traditional Southern culture of Northern Florida.

I could go on and on, but these states are completely different in so many ways I don't even feel like I've scratched the surface.

Old 11-28-2014, 12:57 PM

1,394 posts, read 2,247,887 times
Georgia and Mississippi,

Bama and South Carolina

Old 11-28-2014, 01:41 PM

2,823 posts, read 4,493,664 times
Maybe Louisiana and South Carolina

Old 11-28-2014, 01:44 PM

10,646 posts, read 16,032,303 times
Washington-Colorado

Nevada-New Mexico

Nebraska-Oklahoma

Minnesota-Michigan

Iowa-Indiana

Illinois-Ohio

Pennsylvania-Virginia

Maryland-Massachusetts

Delaware-Rhode Island

New Jersey-Connecticut

Vermont-Maine

Arkansaw-West Virginia

Louisiana-Florida

Alabama-South Carolina

Last edited by Davy-040; 11-28-2014 at 01:52 PM..

Old 11-28-2014, 01:54 PM

2,341 posts, read 3,597,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy-040 View Post
Nebraska-Oklahoma

Vermont-Maine

Alabama-South Carolina
Of all the ones you listed, those three are the only pairings that could possibly work, IMO. And even then, it's a bit of a stretch.

Old 11-28-2014, 06:54 PM

194 posts, read 240,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobloblawslawblog View Post
Of all the ones you listed, those three are the only pairings that could possibly work, IMO. And even then, it's a bit of a stretch.
Nebraska and Oklahoma aren't even remotely similar.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.