Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2014, 05:43 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,994,162 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobloblawslawblog View Post
And even that is questionable. Atlanta shares some commonalities with Houston and Dallas, but other than that, Georgia and Texas are pretty different from each other.
Georgia might as well be South Carolina or Tennessee.

Its bears little resemblance to Texas, minus the Southern culture & Piney Woods of East Texas.

I think Texas is most similar to California. That's why the two are constantly being picked apart & compared to one another.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2014, 07:47 PM

448 posts, read 813,289 times
Quote:
I think Texas is most similar to California. That's why the two are constantly being picked apart & compared to one another.
Okay, I'll bite. I can think of a few similarities (diverse landscape, multiple large urban centers, dominated by a single political party, etc.) but I think of way more differences. What's your reasoning for that match up?

Old 12-02-2014, 09:26 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,994,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadoAngel View Post
Okay, I'll bite. I can think of a few similarities (diverse landscape, multiple large urban centers, dominated by a single political party, etc.) but I think of way more differences. What's your reasoning for that match up?
1st & 2nd states in population.

2nd & 3rd states in land area.

Large Hispanic & Asian populations in its major cities.

Both have a coastline on one side of the state.

Both can get pretty hot minus Northern California.

Los Angeles is a lot flatter than some people realize mimicking Houston in the LA Basin.

Old 12-11-2014, 02:47 AM

1,259 posts, read 1,406,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
1st & 2nd states in population.

2nd & 3rd states in land area.

Large Hispanic & Asian populations in its major cities.

Both have a coastline on one side of the state.

Both can get pretty hot minus Northern California.

Los Angeles is a lot flatter than some people realize mimicking Houston in the LA Basin.
Dude you're obsessed with CA, and specifically LA, what's the deal?

Old 12-11-2014, 02:58 AM

79 posts, read 138,339 times
western Montana places like Missoula or butte are really liberal actually but so are parts of colorada But your right they are really similar

Old 12-11-2014, 04:25 PM

1,878 posts, read 2,027,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbtornado View Post
Vermont and Maine??
This one's probably so obvious most people don't even bother including it.

Two whitest states in the union, billboards are outlawed, large French-Canadian ethnic population, have one small but very nice city (Burlington/Portland), some wealthy ski/ocean resort areas, some small liberal arts college towns (Middlebury/Bennington/Bowdoin/Bates), and then dairy farming and logging areas. Maine's logging areas are of course much more vast. VT has no ocean, of course, but we got a pretty big lake!

Much more similar to each other than either is to New Hampshire, with its lack of sales/income tax, very urbanized southeast quadrant, and more obviously "tourist trap" mountain areas (which are also the highest in the northeast, so I guess it's forgivable).

(For anyone who says Michigan/Minnesota - they share a water border!)

Old 12-12-2014, 10:19 AM

3,453 posts, read 4,530,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by averysgore View Post
(For anyone who says Michigan/Minnesota - they share a water border!)
Well duh, I should have thought of that...good call!

Isle Royale (Michigan) is also only 56 miles from Minnesota, which is the closest MI/MN get land-wise.

Old 12-13-2014, 12:45 AM

14,186 posts, read 22,747,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by creeksitter View Post
I agree with gnutella that PA and TN have similarities. On my visit to Pittsburgh I felt right at home, and topographically it is a bigger and taller Knoxville. But I'll equate Pgh to Nashville as they are both trendy and growing and have top notch universities. I don't know Harrisburg much but it might be equated to Knoxville minus UT and related population. Obscure river city near the mountains with a nuclear presence nearby. Both states have large river cities on one end that are very different from the rest of the state, and lots of small cities spread throughout. Franklin = Doylestown and there's an arts community outside Gatlinburg that might relate to New Hope. That leaves Chattanooga uncoupled - any medium sized industrial cities that are enjoying a strong resurgence?
Chattanooga = Allentown/Bethlehem?

Chattanooga is an old industrial city like Allentown and Bethlehem are, and Chattanooga is sort of in Atlanta's orbit, while Allentown and Bethlehem are in the orbits of both Philadelphia and New York. Both have had popular songs made about them too.

I guess Pittsburgh is sort of a hybrid of Nashville and Knoxville. It has the size of Nashville and the setting of Knoxville. I guess it also has the setting and industrial heritage of Chattanooga too, for that matter.

Old 12-16-2014, 06:19 PM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,128 posts, read 7,568,606 times
Maryland and Jersey definitely

Old 12-16-2014, 06:23 PM

4,918 posts, read 6,470,242 times
California and Texas.. the haters are always hating on the best states.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.