Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2015, 07:39 AM

26,876 posts, read 38,019,680 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MassNative2891 View Post
I'll never forget being 14 and getting bashed on because of Bushs foreign policy, while just trying to get a chocolate filled croissant from the Dep.
But I betcha it was worth it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2015, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert_SW_77 View Post

Bonjour, how do the younger generations of Quebec feel about separatism compared to past movements back in the 80's and 90's?
This is not directed at me but I am sure Bonjour won't mind if I give my view...

Most young people in Quebec could be described as disengaged and blasé about the independence issue.

That doesn't mean that they are disengaged and blasé politically - they are probably the most activist group of young people in North America at the present time.

But their focus at the moment is on social justice, inequalities, globalization, the environment, etc.

Not so much on Quebec independence, although obviously a chunk of them believes that Quebec can play a more postivie role (both internally and globally) on the above-mentioned issues if it becomes independent.

But the issue is still on the back-burner somewhat because the current youth activist movements also include many kids who think Quebec should remain part of Canada.

EDIT: I should also add that relatively few young people in Quebec (interestingly enough, even the ones who are federalist, so against separation) are very passionate and patriotic about Canada.

Old 04-23-2015, 08:02 AM

7 posts, read 8,720 times
I took a peek at the Canada forum and its Quebec bashing central. There you go.

Old 04-23-2015, 08:14 AM

1,485 posts, read 2,251,837 times
Quebec is, in a way, to Canada as what the South is to the U.S. Both regions have historically attempted independence (one peacefully, the other violently) but in the end, neither attempt has been successful.

While I'm not inherently opposed to Quebec's potential secession, I think it leaving would be a huge blow to the rest of Canada. Its economy is a significant portion of Canada's, and it would lose billions of dollars in tourism alone (a lot of folks visit Quebec because it is such a unique part of Canada). In addition, while it's home to the majority of Canadian francophones, there's still hundreds of thousands (if not millions) of native French speakers in other provinces, namely New Brunswick and Ontario, and the rest are scattered throughout the remainder of the provinces and territories (I do know that Winnipeg, for example, has a fairly sizable francophone community).

That said, Quebec is an incredibly historic place and has arguably the strongest identity of any part of Canada. Seceding would obviously give it the freedom to govern exactly as it sees fit (i.e. making French the sole language instead of being officially bilingual). It's not a black-and-white issue that a lot of folks think it to be, it's an extremely complicated issue and could leave many thousands of families divided not by provincial boundaries, but national ones.

Old 04-23-2015, 08:15 AM

12 posts, read 12,674 times
I'm all for it. PS - I lived there for 5 years. Great place, really a jewel in our backyard, bit I do feel it is somewhat stunted in Canada. If you get a chance don't just visit Quebec and Montreal but check out Gaspe, Lac St Jean, Sherbrooke, all nice areas where you really get a feel for how different the place is. Better learn a bit of French. I think that independence is what will happen sooner or later anyways. Independence support is always at 30-50% and never goes away no matter what is offered. Right now the future of Quebec is built on a house of cards of extraordinary language laws and the only way to make a real foundation for their future security is independence.

Old 04-23-2015, 08:38 AM

728 posts, read 974,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
But I betcha it was worth it!
Of course it was!!!

Old 04-23-2015, 08:50 AM

In my personal experience, younger Canadians from PQ feel connected to the rest of Canada more so than the older generations.

Also I have a lot of family in Quebec and I can clearly see a difference between my cousins who grew up outside Montreal and the ones that grew up in RDP, Pointe Aux Tremble, Nord, etc.

The ones that grew up around Allophones and Anglophones (within city limits) are all about moving to the "West Coast" and Toronto, multilingual and generally very "Canadian". I called my cousin a Quebecker and he very pointedly told me he was "Canadian not Quebecois". They talk a lot of smack about Americans though, as Acajack said.

Meanwhile my cousins from Saguenay annoy me like no other. They can't speak good Creole and there English is almost non-existent. They're learning English now but it's so strange to me since all my MTL family has always had some sort of English competency.

Old 04-23-2015, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MassNative2891 View Post
In my personal experience, younger Canadians from PQ feel connected to the rest of Canada more so than the older generations.

Also I have a lot of family in Quebec and I can clearly see a difference between my cousins who grew up outside Montreal and the ones that grew up in RDP, Pointe Aux Tremble, Nord, etc.

The ones that grew up around Allophones and Anglophones (within city limits) are all about moving to the "West Coast" and Toronto, multilingual and generally very "Canadian". I called my cousin a Quebecker and he very pointedly told me he was "Canadian not Quebecois". They talk a lot of smack about Americans though, as Acajack said.

Meanwhile my cousins from Saguenay annoy me like no other. They can't speak good Creole and there English is almost non-existent. They're learning English now but it's so strange to me since all my MTL family has always had some sort of English competency.
Out of curiosity, what's the ethnic origin of our family? Haitian or some other Caribbean I suppose?

My observation is actually that many Haitians in Montreal also identify as Québécois (or primarily as that) and many have limited to no English. Of course, they'll still have more (passive) exposure to English than someone in Saguenay will.

This "English orientation" you describe might be something specific to your family (having close relatives in the US - or not - can also have some bearing) as opposed to something that's very widespread in the community.

Old 04-23-2015, 09:12 AM

27,560 posts, read 28,652,113 times
I don't think it's such a good idea. Quebec seems to be too dependent economically on the rest of Canada to ever be able to function as an independent country.

And with a population of only 8.2 million? Yeah, that would be interesting.

Cherish what you have, I say.

Old 04-23-2015, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Out of curiosity, what's the ethnic origin of our family? Haitian or some other Caribbean I suppose?

My observation is actually that many Haitians in Montreal also identify as Québécois (or primarily as that) and many have limited to no English. Of course, they'll still have more (passive) exposure to English than someone in Saguenay will.

This "English orientation" you describe might be something specific to your family (having close relatives in the US - or not - can also have some bearing) as opposed to something that's very widespread in the community.
On the dot.

While having family in the states certainly gives my family more reason to speak English, my cousins who grew up in Cote-De-Neige (we used to be all over there in the 90s) grew up speaking English more so because of the neighborhood.

Laval, Saguenay and QC; very different story.

I should mention these two "sides" of my family although close relatives, have very little to do with each other. Especially the younger generation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.