Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2015, 11:31 AM

4,918 posts, read 6,467,718 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTarheel View Post
Yes but is the armpit more Northeast or Midwest?
The armpit of America is really Florida everyone knows that lol.

Old 05-06-2015, 11:36 AM

6,610 posts, read 9,032,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKWildcat1981 View Post
The armpit of America is really Florida everyone knows that lol.
I usually think of FL as a little lower than an armpit.

Old 05-06-2015, 11:39 AM

4,918 posts, read 6,467,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTarheel View Post
I usually think of FL as a little lower than an armpit.

Florida: America's Wang, Florida: Home of Newly Wed or Nearly Dead, Florida: Home of old crazy people lol

Old 05-06-2015, 12:00 PM

1,642 posts, read 1,399,014 times
America's taint?

Old 05-06-2015, 12:04 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,467,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieOlSkool View Post
Better designations would be based around the Great Lakes and the Great Plains. This mostly would place NY State in what would be the Great Lakes region. The NYC metro area would be excluded.
I thought quintessianl Midwest as Great Lakes + surrounding farm and industrial areas. The Plains states seem almost western, though obviously Iowa is midwestern.

Old 05-06-2015, 12:09 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,467,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieOlSkool View Post
IDENTICAL? That is a pretty strong word. In the city centers do they have large proportions of Puerto Ricans? I don't think so. Were they settled by New Englanders that claimed them as extensions of the Northeast? Linguistically, I would say no one in Cleveland or Toledo speaks like anyone in Kansas or Nebraska. You might have a case for Cincinnati, but not Northern or Eastern Ohio.
Ohio isn't that Puerto Rican compared to much of the Northeast. Cuyahoga County, which I assume is the most Puerto Rican in Ohio is only 3.0% Puerto Rican while the state as a whole is 0.9%. The entire state of Massachusetts is 4.2% Puerto Rican, many urban sections are much higher. I suppose there is a bit in common that Puerto Rican is the largest hispanic group, and much larger than Mexican, unlike most of the Midwest.

As for New Englanders claiming as an extension of the Northeast, that was only rather early on in settlement, later population waves led to bigger differences.

Old 05-06-2015, 12:45 PM

1,699 posts, read 2,151,925 times
To me the whole great lakes region, including the cities in Pennsylvania and New York State are essentially midwestern. I cannot get my head to refer to places like Buffalo, NY, Erie, PA, or even Syracuse, NY as "northeastern" but oh well.

Anyways, no. Ohio feels very midwestern to me. It's the great plains states that feel more "western" than they do "midwestern".

Old 05-06-2015, 01:43 PM

2,233 posts, read 3,164,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omahahonors View Post
The plains states were the last states added to the midwest. Some still dont refer to us as midwest. Ohio is a midwest origin.
False. The original states refered to as midwestern were West Virginia, Kentucky, Tennessee, Arkansas, Missouri and Kansas. The Great Lakes states, including Ohio, which were previously called the Northwest, very consciously adopted the moniker "midwestern" to advertize themselves to easterners and to attempt to distance themselves from their increasingly industrial reputation.

Old 05-06-2015, 02:01 PM

93,276 posts, read 123,898,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDPMiami View Post
To me the whole great lakes region, including the cities in Pennsylvania and New York State are essentially midwestern. I cannot get my head to refer to places like Buffalo, NY, Erie, PA, or even Syracuse, NY as "northeastern" but oh well.

Anyways, no. Ohio feels very midwestern to me. It's the great plains states that feel more "western" than they do "midwestern".
Nah, PA and Upstate NY are Northeastern, except for people around Buffalo saying Pop instead of Soda.

Old 05-06-2015, 02:06 PM

93,276 posts, read 123,898,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Ohio isn't that Puerto Rican compared to much of the Northeast. Cuyahoga County, which I assume is the most Puerto Rican in Ohio is only 3.0% Puerto Rican while the state as a whole is 0.9%. The entire state of Massachusetts is 4.2% Puerto Rican, many urban sections are much higher. I suppose there is a bit in common that Puerto Rican is the largest hispanic group, and much larger than Mexican, unlike most of the Midwest.

As for New Englanders claiming as an extension of the Northeast, that was only rather early on in settlement, later population waves led to bigger differences.
There are some cities with notable Puerto Rican communities in NE Ohio like Lorain, Cleveland, Ashtubula, Campbell, Youngstown and Brooklyn. Lorain is about 20% Puerto Rican, with the rest having enough to notice. Ohio Puerto Rican Hispanic Population Percentage City Rank Based on US Census 2010 data
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.