Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2015, 08:20 PM

7,778 posts, read 10,166,473 times

Advertisements

O, Pioneer! 5 Secretly Cool Cities Where You Can Still Get in on the Ground Floor*|*David Landsel
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2015, 08:22 PM

2,330 posts, read 3,813,173 times
I live in a "cool" neighborhood in Minneapolis just south of downtown and pay $800 a month for a 850 sq ft 1 bedroom. It is a 1920s era building so it doesn't have a dishwasher or a large kitchen but it does have hardwood floors and quality craftsman style woodwork. It is good that Minneapolis is cold enough that people don't want to move here.

Old 10-23-2015, 08:28 PM

37,882 posts, read 41,970,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOVA_guy View Post
$1500 or $1600 for a 1 bedroom even if it's not right in the city is still extremely cheap. Not a bad deal.
That is NOT "extremely cheap" or any other kind of cheap.

Old 10-24-2015, 01:21 AM

975 posts, read 1,405,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
That is NOT "extremely cheap" or any other kind of cheap.

I agree. That price is ridiculously expensive. Anything over $900/month for a 1 bedroom is "expensive" in my book.

Old 10-24-2015, 02:53 AM

7,728 posts, read 12,624,521 times
Millennials vote for liberals and then are surprised by the consequences of liberal policies. Amazing.

Old 10-24-2015, 05:58 AM

6,353 posts, read 11,594,235 times
I too am wondering why the OP started this thread since he found a place that suits him after MUCH searching. Yes there are plenty of affordable areas with hip amenities if one takes the time to search for them. Louisville KY comes to mind.

I think what is happening is a psychology/sociology question - are millenials able to think for themselves or are they just accustomed to getting direction from outside. If it is the latter then they will be drawn to whatever facebook says is the hip new place. Supply and demand will cause rents to rise. Nashville is a prime example of this.

Old 10-24-2015, 06:46 AM

27,218 posts, read 43,942,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
Millennials vote for liberals and then are surprised by the consequences of liberal policies. Amazing.
Try again...

A) Millennials largely don't vote and B) Trickle Down Economics which is how we got "here" is Conservative policy.

Old 10-24-2015, 09:02 AM

37,882 posts, read 41,970,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
"Liberal policies"? Expensive neighborhoods are simply the result of supply and demand, whether that's a liberal urban neighborhood or a conservative suburban neighborhood. This has very little to do with political ideology.

Old 10-24-2015, 10:46 AM

2,020 posts, read 3,195,799 times
I don't know, in the "old" days people moved where the best job opportunities for them were. Forget what's hip and focus on your career. Wherever you go there you are.

Old 10-24-2015, 03:55 PM

7,070 posts, read 16,747,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
Many people talk about places like NYC, LA and Seattle being very expensive. Then, they go on to suggest that there are alternative, affordable "cool" millennial cities. I have not found that to be the case, really.

Austin TX, Charlotte NC, and Columbus OH are often cited as affordable and "cool" places for millennials to live in. However, there is one dynamic that I have become very aware of. That is, that the only areas within these cities/metros that are actually considered "cool," almost always happen to be in the central urban core (i.e. downtown, uptown, etc.), covering no more than a few square miles. If you live more than 5 miles outside of the central urban core, it's considered not "cool." Furthermore, the rents in these central urban cores, EVEN in "affordable" places like Columbus or Charlotte, are NOT affordable at all, unless you have roommates or make a very high income. For example, in downtown Columbus, a decent 1 bd apartment goes for a minimum of $1,300 or even as high as $1,700, which is too expensive considering one would be earning an Ohio salary, which isn't particularly high.

Now, I live in the city of Columbus, about 9 miles from downtown and really like the area. It's quiet, and I have a very nice 2 br condo for just $989 a month (1,000 sq ft).

Austin, TX is no longer considered affordable, by any means. A decent 1 bd apartment goes for at least $1,500 in the inner city, which is outrageous. Same with Charlotte....at least $1,400.

So then, why do millennials and Forbes keep suggesting that these cities are the best cities for millennials and that they are affordable? It's total baloney. To have the true urban, millennial experience, you must live in or near the central urban core, and pay very high rent. And those who live in the central urban core typically have no interest in venturing out to the outer parts of the city and making friends and doing activities there. It's like they want to live their whole lives in a 4-square mile BUBBLE!

Not to mention, many of these new apartment buildings are atrociously built. You can hear EVERYTHING through the walls and ceilings.

This whole millennial/urban living movement has got to be the biggest sham in American history, with regard to housing.

Smh.
Not in Louisville....for now. Awesome amenities at a fraction of the price of any of those cities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.