Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Legacy cities or non legacy
Legacy city 69 69.00%
Non legacy city 22 22.00%
No preference 9 9.00%
Voters: 100. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2017, 07:13 PM

403 posts, read 462,588 times

Advertisements

There are also plenty of historic architecture in non-legacy cities and the healthiest of them have more architectural variety overall. It's just a preference. Nothing to get defensive about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2017, 07:39 PM

23,688 posts, read 9,386,686 times
I prefer non-legacy

Old 04-22-2017, 07:57 PM

37,882 posts, read 41,970,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Double L View Post
There are also plenty of historic architecture in non-legacy cities and the healthiest of them have more architectural variety overall. It's just a preference. Nothing to get defensive about.
"Plenty"? Disagree with that, and the healthiest non-legacy cities do not have more architectural variety overall than legacy cities. That's simply not a factual statement. Anybody who thinks that a city like Houston has more architectural variety than a city like DC needs their eyesight checked.

Old 04-22-2017, 08:21 PM

No, it does not have more architectural variety. I never said that, don't put words in my mouth. DC is mostly older buildings though with a few modern ones. Houston has mostly modern buildings with a few historical ones.

Here is how I describe "plenty" and no, this isn't all we have, I'm just highlighting a few.

The Gulf Building

Houston Deco | 1920s | Gulf Building

Neils Esperson Building

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/350928995947777219/

https://www.emporis.com/buildings/32...houston-tx-usa

Houston Historic District
https://www.google.com/maps/place/Ho...610063!6m1!1e1

Houston Heights, a streetcar suburb

Old 04-22-2017, 08:38 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,319,530 times
You literally said that the healthiest non-legacy cities have more architectural variety overall.
Houston is not the best example of that.
Healthiest legacy cities like Chicago, NYC, SF would have the best variety.

Old 04-22-2017, 08:54 PM

Well, I never said that it was Houston who had the most variety, just some variety. I would look at Miami for being more even between new and old. I disagree with the cities you posted. NYC and San Fran are mostly older buildings not mostly modern buildings. Only Chicago would be more even. Again, just my preference, no reason to have a heart attack.

Old 04-22-2017, 08:58 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,319,530 times
Quote:
Well, I never said that it was Houston who had the most variety, just some variety. I would look at Miami for being more even between new and old. I disagree with the cities you posted. NYC and San Fran are mostly older buildings not mostly modern buildings. Only Chicago would be more even. Again, just my preference, no reason to have a heart attack.
I've had too many beers to have a heart attack. Chicago would be the best representation of old and new as far as my experiences so far. Miami would be a no for me. But you didn't say mostly new, you said most variety.

Old 04-22-2017, 09:08 PM

No, in my first post I said I preferred cities with mostly new architecture.

Old 04-23-2017, 07:33 AM

37,882 posts, read 41,970,495 times
Quote:
No, it does not have more architectural variety. I never said that, don't put words in my mouth. DC is mostly older buildings though with a few modern ones. Houston has mostly modern buildings with a few historical ones.

Here is how I describe "plenty" and no, this isn't all we have, I'm just highlighting a few.

The Gulf Building

Houston Deco | 1920s | Gulf Building

Neils Esperson Building

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/350928995947777219/

https://www.emporis.com/buildings/32...houston-tx-usa

Houston Historic District

Houston Heights, a streetcar suburb
You obviously know nothing about DC and other healthy legacy cities if you think they only have "a few" modern buildings. DC, NYC, Chicago, etc. clearly have much more architectural variety than the likes of Houston, Dallas, Phoenix, etc. Either one knows little about the architectural legacy of these cities or is extremely biased to say otherwise.

Old 04-23-2017, 02:15 PM

4,087 posts, read 3,245,620 times
Quote:
It s just too bad Houston did not SAVE MORE OF OLD HOUSTON. It had finally is getting what is left SAVED? Well more then was the Raze and let stand attitude or just for parking.

The thing is ASIAN cities do FAR MORE INTERESTING NEW buildings then US cities today. Much of HOUSTON especially. The basic BOC as cheapest to build still rules. Ironically, a city like Dubai has much of its buildings with American Architects. They can do more then a glass box there.

Their tallest building in the world has the same Architecture Firm as 3 of Chicago's super-talks. The 1968 John Hancock building, 1974's Sears (Willis) Tower and 2009's Trump Tower. The Trump Tower has aspects like the tallest Big brother with the same parents as it is in Dubai.

So a Houston NOT saving more of OLD HOUSTON. Has Asian cities leaving it in the DUST IN NEW ARCHITECTURE that Houston thought would make it into a MODERN METROPOLIS in its core. So far it falls short in new architecture even over some Legacy cities in what they build.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.