Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-31-2017, 09:45 AM

1,519 posts, read 1,215,892 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RamenAddict View Post
Florida's weather is crap about 6-7 months of the year too. It's oppressively hot and humid in most of FL from may- halloween. The wages are really depressed there. I leftvthere because there was literally nothing better in terms of jobs. I know lots of other people who have left too because FL doesn't have a whole lot to offer in terms of career opportunities that pay well outside of south Florida. South Florida is also insanely expensive.

The demand by the ocean does decrease if there are more storms and insurance rates increase to unaffordable levels as they have in the past. If climate change continues, much of the land will be unusable as a lot of it already floods heavily in large storms.
Florida's weather is not crap for 6-7 months of the year, and this is coming from someone who grew up in Chicago for 24 years so I have experienced both worlds. The summers down here are by far my absolute favorite time of the year. They are not oppressively hot if you are living by a coastal area which I am fortunate enough to be doing. Living inland would suck because you don't get the ocean breezes or the actually ocean to swim in but even then during the day the massive thunderstorms would still cool things off in the afternoon.

The Gulf of Mexico is 85 degrees right now and just the other day while I was swimming 15 feet from shore and a huge dolphin came up less then 10 feet next to me, scared the **** out of me..... My least favorite time of the year here in SW Florida is Jan-Feb when everything is crowded from all the snowbirds and when the night time lows dip all the way into the lower 50's and day time highs are only in the mid 70's, not really good beach weather, great hiking and kayaking weather though, in January, try doing that in Illinois....

I love the true tropical climate we get from May-October and getting the San Diego weather for a couple months of the beginning of the year is a nice change up too. There is no comparison for me personally between the weather in Illinois and here in SW Florida. It is completely night and day and I would and DO choose SW Florida 365 days out of the year over Illinois, hence I moved and found my paradise.

I am sorry it didn't work out for you down here but if I find there is a lot of opportunities down here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2017, 07:15 AM

3,424 posts, read 2,919,706 times
just bought a house in Arizona, and will be getting out of this dysfunctional, hell hole of a state by July 10th

good bye, good riddance, and I will be reading about the disaster that this state has become from my warm, sunny, balanced-budget home in the beautiful state of Arizona..

3 years with out a budget...in addition to the ridiculous taxes/politicians/corruption filled cluster f*** this state has become....sorry, done with it....

Old 06-01-2017, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wase4711 View Post
just bought a house in Arizona, and will be getting out of this dysfunctional, hell hole of a state by July 10th

good bye, good riddance, and I will be reading about the disaster that this state has become from my warm, sunny, balanced-budget home in the beautiful state of Arizona..

3 years with out a budget...in addition to the ridiculous taxes/politicians/corruption filled cluster f*** this state has become....sorry, done with it....
This is gold.....

Old 06-01-2017, 10:08 AM

i lived here most of my life, thought I would spend the rest of my life here, but this state, in so many ways, has turned into a toilet, and I want to get out before I get flushed...

Old 06-01-2017, 10:18 AM

Quote:
i lived here most of my life, thought I would spend the rest of my life here, but this state, in so many ways, has turned into a toilet, and I want to get out before I get flushed...
I can truly say since moving to Florida the grass is literally greener on the other side!

Old 06-01-2017, 10:27 AM

yep, for us, it got down to Texas, Florida, and Arizona, and Arizona won...all are 3 great choices though!

Old 06-01-2017, 10:54 AM

Quote:
yep, for us, it got down to Texas, Florida, and Arizona, and Arizona won...all are 3 great choices though!
What pushed Arizona over the edge?

Old 06-01-2017, 01:11 PM

my wifes fear of bugs, which, even though there are in arizona, we know about the notoriety of the Florida bug population, plus, the concern about some of the "residents" in certain areas of Florida, plus, frankly, the oppressive humidity there most of the time. Hurricanes also loomed large in her decision..

Old 06-01-2017, 02:47 PM

9,952 posts, read 6,674,272 times
Quote:
my wifes fear of bugs, which, even though there are in arizona, we know about the notoriety of the Florida bug population, plus, the concern about some of the "residents" in certain areas of Florida, plus, frankly, the oppressive humidity there most of the time. Hurricanes also loomed large in her decision..
Hurricanes are huge. People often don't consider that in the coastal areas, homeowners insurance is expensive. Your tax savings can easily be eaten up by differences in homeowners/flood/auto insurance, which are much pricier. Utilities tend to be more expensive as well because you can't really ever turn off the AC/heat entirely due to the humidity.

Old 06-01-2017, 03:09 PM

yep, and after living with the Tornado threat in the sw suburbs of Chicago, we just didn't want to ever have to worry about severe weather issues giving us a nightmare..
sure 115 in phoenix is an issue as well, but at least no tornado's and no hurricanes!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.