Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-01-2017, 03:57 PM

9,952 posts, read 6,668,342 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wase4711 View Post
yep, and after living with the Tornado threat in the sw suburbs of Chicago, we just didn't want to ever have to worry about severe weather issues giving us a nightmare..
sure 115 in phoenix is an issue as well, but at least no tornado's and no hurricanes!
Yes- that is true. You will get heat and dust storms, but I think FL is slightly worse than IL in terms of tornados (FL is something like #4 or 5 nationally in terms of tornados). To add insult to injury, FL has no sirens or good warning systems for tornados, so people just die. I am trying to sell my home in FL still and had the realtor tell me she had to go hide out during a tornado warning earlier this week. She said there was also lots of hail and flooding. The weather can be a problem even without a hurricane!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2017, 06:42 AM

1,519 posts, read 1,215,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamenAddict View Post
Yes- that is true. You will get heat and dust storms, but I think FL is slightly worse than IL in terms of tornados (FL is something like #4 or 5 nationally in terms of tornados). To add insult to injury, FL has no sirens or good warning systems for tornados, so people just die. I am trying to sell my home in FL still and had the realtor tell me she had to go hide out during a tornado warning earlier this week. She said there was also lots of hail and flooding. The weather can be a problem even without a hurricane!
I think that statistic that Florida is 4 or 5 nationally in terms of tornados includes waterspouts which is why it ranks so high for the number of tornados. I've also heard if you include waterspouts Florida is actually number 1 in the country.....

In 2 over years I've personally never have seen a even a trace of hail here in Florida.... 1 Hurricane has made landfall in the past 11 years or so, and that was last year.....

The rainy season is absolutely wonderful, amazing cloud formations, amazing tropical downpours clean and cool everything off, you get to see hundreds of rainbows every summer, very rarely do we ever have a dreary drizzly entire day, when it rains it rains and then 2 hours later the sun is shining bright again, the weather is amazing. Wish it was the rainy humid season year round!

Old 06-02-2017, 07:31 AM

4,087 posts, read 3,239,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPrzybylski07 View Post
I think that statistic that Florida is 4 or 5 nationally in terms of tornados includes waterspouts which is why it ranks so high for the number of tornados. I've also heard if you include waterspouts Florida is actually number 1 in the country.....

In 2 over years I've personally never have seen a even a trace of hail here in Florida.... 1 Hurricane has made landfall in the past 11 years or so, and that was last year.....

The rainy season is absolutely wonderful, amazing cloud formations, amazing tropical downpours clean and cool everything off, you get to see hundreds of rainbows every summer, very rarely do we ever have a dreary drizzly entire day, when it rains it rains and then 2 hours later the sun is shining bright again, the weather is amazing. Wish it was the rainy humid season year round!
Coastal Florida is the best:
- the warmth w/ocean breezes
- the white sandy beaches/w ocean breezes
- the sun and sudden short storms/ocean breezes
- the palm trees and tropical foliage w/ocean breezes
- the sound and smell of the sea and birds w/ocean breezes

This all is a more moderating climate on the coast. But inland Florida? Has the more oppressive humidity and breezes can be much less. If poorer and retire to Florida? You will probably be more inland due to cost. For snowbirds who know they can't afford the coast it is a great alternative. Especially as they leave for back north skipping the more oppressive summers.

I hate winters and prefer humid summers over them. But some mind the heat w/humidity much more. I'd have no problema with all year in Florida and on the coast would be the ultimate locations.

Old 06-02-2017, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavePa View Post
Coastal Florida is the best:
- the warmth w/ocean breezes
- the white sandy beaches/w ocean breezes
- the sun and sudden short storms/ocean breezes
- the palm trees and tropical foliage w/ocean breezes
- the sound and smell of the sea and birds w/ocean breezes

This all is a more moderating climate on the coast. But inland Florida? Has the more oppressive humidity and breezes can be much less. If poorer and retire to Florida? You will probably be more inland due to cost. For snowbirds who know they can't afford the coast it is a great alternative. Especially as they leave for back north skipping the more oppressive summers.

I hate winters and prefer humid summers over them. But some mind the heat w/humidity much more. I'd have no problema with all year in Florida and on the coast would be the ultimate locations.

https://s3.amazonaws.com/cityofsanib...-17/index.html

Check that out from yesterday.... Amazing.

Old 06-02-2017, 09:12 AM

Quote:

Uh, Matthew did significant damage without making landfall. Other non-hurricanes do damage due to flooding. I have a couple of friends who have had homes flooded by tropical storms. It is not really the wind that does damage in hurricanes but the water, so a 4mph tropical storm can do far more damage than a fast hurricane, as FL saw back in 2003-2005. I am a Florida native and am glad it is all rainbows and unicorns for you so far, but you've been there two years. Just wait.

Old 06-02-2017, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RamenAddict View Post
Uh, Matthew did significant damage without making landfall. Other non-hurricanes do damage due to flooding. I have a couple of friends who have had homes flooded by tropical storms. It is not really the wind that does damage in hurricanes but the water, so a 4mph tropical storm can do far more damage than a fast hurricane, as FL saw back in 2003-2005. I am a Florida native and am glad it is all rainbows and unicorns for you so far, but you've been there two years. Just wait.
Crap happens anywhere. Life happens. Most these tropical storms and hurricanes give you plenty of ample time to prepare. If money isn't tight like it isn't for a lot of the wealthy people who live by the coast down here then who cares if you live in a flood zone and it floods, that is what flood insurance is for. You make a good point about flooding, but flooding can happen anywhere.. There are no guarantees in life anywhere.

Also still beats freezing my ass off in 20 degree weather and not seeing the sun for 8 days in a row back up in Illinois.

Old 06-03-2017, 08:38 AM

3,424 posts, read 2,917,244 times
Quote:
Also still beats freezing my ass off in 20 degree weather and not seeing the sun for 8 days in a row back up in Illinois.
hell, in the winter, 20 degrees is a pretty nice day in Illinois!
and, only 8 days without sun isnt that bad; I remember a couple years ago when we went 23 days in a row without sun in the fall/winter!

Old 06-03-2017, 06:10 PM

6,160 posts, read 5,707,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wase4711 View Post
hell, in the winter, 20 degrees is a pretty nice day in Illinois!
and, only 8 days without sun isnt that bad; I remember a couple years ago when we went 23 days in a row without sun in the fall/winter!
Cold temperatures don't bother me, but winter lasting until May, and gloomy days can be super depressing.

Old 06-04-2017, 08:31 AM

26,404 posts, read 46,555,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lepoisson View Post
Cold temperatures don't bother me, but winter lasting until May, and gloomy days can be super depressing.
I've noticed a trend in the southern Great Lakes region of more cloudiness and milder temperatures in winter with less consistent snowfall. That means ambient light in winter is less with snow cover being less. If you go up north it is actually brighter in winter with deeper consistent snow cover, and I prefer that.

Old 06-04-2017, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
I've noticed a trend in the southern Great Lakes region of more cloudiness and milder temperatures in winter with less consistent snowfall. That means ambient light in winter is less with snow cover being less. If you go up north it is actually brighter in winter with deeper consistent snow cover, and I prefer that.
I prefer that as well. I lived in London for a year and that was my most depressing experience. It is so far north that it gets dark super early and then it's also gloomy most of the time. With the snowfall, you actually get more light reflection and it is brighter out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.