Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-05-2017, 10:50 AM

4,952 posts, read 3,055,358 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lepoisson View Post
My budget for a home is $200-250K (which already won't get me a lot in Chicago or in the suburbs). In that range, property taxes will be $4000-5000/year, or $333-415/mo

Meanwhile, if I bought a home in Raleigh, NC in that same range, property taxes would be only $2,100/mo.

It's really a shame because I like living in Chicago. But financially speaking, it would be unwise of me to buy here.
Offline, North Carolina is the number 1 answer I receive upon learning of a relocation and asking where.
It is the new Florida.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2017, 11:36 AM

10,326 posts, read 17,432,497 times
Yes I have a few friends that moved there. It is one of the destinations I have considered as there are some science jobs in the triangle area. Arizona, Texas, Florida, and Colorado, and of course Indiana are also popular destinations.

Old 07-05-2017, 12:17 PM

6,160 posts, read 5,712,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by numberfive View Post
It's a common misconception for people to think "you save taxes in one area but spend more in another area, so it breaks even".

To measure it, you'd have to look at the overall tax burden by state. Then the picture starts to get clearer. It's not just property tax, or grocery tax, or any individual tax. It's all of them added up and compared from State A to State B.

That way you can rank them to see which is objectively the most costly. For example, let's put IL vs TN:

Wallethub
Illinois 9th most expensive
TN 48th most expensive

Tax Foundation
Illinois 5th most expensive
TN 47th most expensive

You could do the same comparison with any state. Then the next misconception is usually "yeah, but the pay is lower so you lose out anyway". Also not true. Typical income is already factored into those rankings linked above.
Yes, and there are so many taxes you don't even think of. I moved to Chicago from the DFW area earlier this year. Even though rent prices are about the same (which is where most of my money goes), things like restaurants, groceries, sales tax, cell phone taxes, and a bunch of other random Cook/Chicago taxes are all higher here. This makes the cost of living in Chicago a lot higher than the Dallas area.

Sales tax is the sneaky one because it can turn a $40 restaurant meal in NC into a $45 meal in Chicago.

I still think I made the right move because I traded a 5-10% cost of living increase for a salary that's almost double what I made in Texas. Even though it costs more in Chicago, I have more money to spend.

When it comes time to buy a house, I'll likely look for a job with a similar salary, but in a smaller city with a lower cost of living. A place like Minneapolis, Raleigh, Nashville, Cincinnati, Cleveland, St Louis, or Kansas City would fall in this category.

Old 07-05-2017, 06:30 PM

1,313 posts, read 854,740 times
Thinking of making the move unsure of where to go

What are best things about IL guys you all miss the most ?

Old 07-05-2017, 07:52 PM

210 posts, read 565,786 times
Ideally, I would love to go to Denver, but because of costs, I have been looking at Las Vegas. We will see what happens, but ideally, I will be out of Illinois in 2 or so years time.

Old 07-06-2017, 07:29 AM

6,160 posts, read 5,712,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slam4444 View Post
Ideally, I would love to go to Denver, but because of costs, I have been looking at Las Vegas. We will see what happens, but ideally, I will be out of Illinois in 2 or so years time.
I applied for a job in Vegas, I got a call for an interview 2 weeks after I moved to Chicago. The salary was higher than my job here and the cost of living would have been lower.

Old 07-06-2017, 08:05 AM

1,951 posts, read 1,636,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dad01 View Post

I think you're asking the wrong question -- it's not what you'll miss, but what you'll have to look forward to.

Everywhere will have something you'll miss, but you first have to experience it to know what you're missing, right?

Old 07-06-2017, 09:33 AM

3 posts, read 2,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dad01 View Post

My wife and I were born and raised in Illinois. She was born in Rockford and I was born in Peoria. We lived in Elmhurst for 20 years until 2014 when we moved to Carmel Indiana. We absolutely love it here. The taxes are half of what they were in Elmhurst yet the schools and services are just as good. Traffic is a breeze and we were able to find 2 good paying jobs so our income has actually gone up by a 3rd since moving.
We definitely would recommend trying out Carmel.

Old 07-07-2017, 05:47 PM

11,582 posts, read 6,736,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lepoisson View Post
My budget for a home is $200-250K (which already won't get me a lot in Chicago or in the suburbs). In that range, property taxes will be $4000-5000/year, or $333-415/mo

Meanwhile, if I bought a home in Raleigh, NC in that same range, property taxes would be only $2,100/mo.

It's really a shame because I like living in Chicago. But financially speaking, it would be unwise of me to buy here.

And pretty sure your property taxes would be more than $4-5k for a $250K home in Chicago! My BIL has a 2200 sq ft home an hour outside of Charlotte that he paid $225k brand new with 5 acres and his ANNUAL property taxes are $1200!

Old 07-08-2017, 08:41 AM

13,811 posts, read 27,454,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CGab View Post
And pretty sure your property taxes would be more than $4-5k for a $250K home in Chicago! My BIL has a 2200 sq ft home an hour outside of Charlotte that he paid $225k brand new with 5 acres and his ANNUAL property taxes are $1200!
First living an hour outside Charlotte is probably in the boonies.

Different areas of NC have different property tax rates. Raleigh has a rate of roughly 1%. Durham is more. Areas outside cities are around .5-.75%. Charlotte has a rate approaching 1.4%.

NC readjusts property valuations every eight years so depending on your location your bill is going to go up significantly over the next couple years as appraisals readjust.

For those belly aching over a 4.95% income tax rate, until recently NC was at 7.75% and was reduced three years ago to 5.75%. My wife and I pay more in NC income tax than our entire mortgage payment on a 15-year loan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.