Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which U.S. city is biggest on hockey?
Boston 25 16.56%
Chicago 17 11.26%
Detroit 39 25.83%
New York 3 1.99%
Philadelphia 27 17.88%
Pittsburgh 11 7.28%
Los Angeles 2 1.32%
Other 27 17.88%
Voters: 151. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2016, 05:38 PM

14,022 posts, read 15,028,594 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeyg2014 View Post
The Falcons who were only a .500 team last year still managed to sell more tickets than the Patriots despite GA Tech football being another option for them. The Saints still managed to average more tickets sold than the Patriots during a losing season despite having LSU as another option.
The Cheapest Falcons tickets are $25, the cheapest Patriots tickets I could find were $271 for this week.
So, they are not comparable investments.
On top of that "More tickets" is due to the fact capacity of the Georgia Dome is 3,000 more than Gillette, and the Superdome has about 8,000 more seats than Gillette.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2016, 05:44 PM

151 posts, read 124,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Addams View Post
I have been to hundreds of arenas since I used to, ya know, play the game.

Only a person who has never put on a pair of skates would act as though NHL attendance is the best way to measure hockey interest. Boston has top notch college teams (BC, BU, U-Mass Lowell) that generate just as much local interest as a lot of NHL teams in other cities. See when your city actually produces top notch hockey talent, you tend to follow those kids as opposed to underachieving Canadians and Russians making up your NHL team, novel concept I know.

By the way I have zero attachment to Boston. I am from St. Paul so I understand perfectly well what real hockey interest is.

And only an idiot would assume that because I've laced them up since I was three.

My city has produced their share of NHLers, thanks.

I'm from Upstate NY. The Utica Comets arguably have the best fan following in the AHL. I am family friends with ex-players that are either from the area or stayed in the area after coming here to play.

Clarkson, St. Lawrence, Cornell, etc. are a short drive away. I've attended enough games over the years.

Utica College has the best Division III attendance. Utica College Pioneers - UC Men's Hockey Leads the Nation in Home Attendance for 9th Straight Year

Old 10-11-2016, 05:48 PM

1,285 posts, read 1,395,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Addams View Post
You cannot compare Football attendance with any other sport (or even fandom for that matter as football fans are always irrationally die-hard). It's much easier to have consistent attendance when you only have 8 home games a year that happen to be on a day when 85% of the population is off of work. On top of that, College and Pro football never conflict.
Reminds me of Canadian and Buffalonian NHL fans. Boston wouldn't know anything about that though. Apparently, when the Bruins suck they become "UMass-Lowell fans" or something, which by the way, Penn State hockey outsells (and fills to 105.4% capacity).

Old 10-11-2016, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IShootNikon View Post
Still waiting for stats to back up your statement "You're aware that PA, IL and CA are churning out more hockey players % wise now than MA and MI, correct?"

Most recent data I can find, but go nuts pal.

http://slapshot.blogs.nytimes.com/20...by-state/?_r=0

1,285 posts, read 1,395,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
The Cheapest Falcons tickets are $25, the cheapest Patriots tickets I could find were $271 for this week.
So, they are not comparable investments.
On top of that "More tickets" is due to the fact capacity of the Georgia Dome is 3,000 more than Gillette, and the Superdome has about 8,000 more seats than Gillette.
But Gillette doesn't sell out. Even back when tickets were cheap. So the argument that the Pats are restricted by capacity doesn't mean anything. The avg Pats ticket is $122 by the way vs $79 for the Falcons. The NY Giants have the most expensive tickets.

Last edited by joeyg2014; 10-11-2016 at 05:58 PM..

Quote:
Originally Posted by amirite View Post
It's the lamest excuse I have ever heard. "We follow college hockey too much to follow the Bruins". What's so different about the Bruins that you can't follow them? Another excuse I heard is that Bruins tickets are too expensive. But yet they won't hesitate to tell you that they have one of the highest salaries per capita in Boston. Something doesn't add up here.

The NFL doesn't have trouble selling out in the South despite the obscenely large college football following.
Its almost as if there is never a scheduling conflict between college and pro-football, and both only have a single digit number of home dates. Not to mention most programs are in areas without a pro team, or where Pro Teams often don't get all that much attention, such as the Florida NFL teams have a back seat to UF, FSU and Miami.
I literally know 0 people who have never been to a hockey game. That would not be the case if I lived in NJ. or PA.
I personally have been to about 50 college Hockey games, and 3 Bruins games, because College Hockey is really fun and it is much cheaper than the Bruins.
and with all the College Hockey, Boston still has some of the best Hockey ratings in the US.
It is not a mistake that only Boston and Buffalo were in the top 10 markets for the 2016 NHL Playoffs, despite not making the playoffs this year. Boston had higher TV ratings for the playoffs then Philly and NYC, despite NY having 2 teams in the payoffs and Flyers making the playoffs.
2016 STANLEY CUP FINAL IS MOST-WATCHED NON-ORIGINAL SIX SERIES IN 15 YEARS | NBC Sports Pressbox

Old 10-11-2016, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
Its almost as if there is never a scheduling conflict between college and pro-football, and both only have a single digit number of home dates. Not to mention most programs are in areas without a pro team, or where Pro Teams often don't get all that much attention, such as the Florida NFL teams have a back seat to UF, FSU and Miami.
I literally know 0 people who have never been to a hockey game. That would not be the case if I lived in NJ. or PA.
I personally have been to about 50 college Hockey games, and 3 Bruins games, because College Hockey is really fun and it is much cheaper than the Bruins.
and with all the College Hockey, Boston still has some of the best Hockey ratings in the US.
It is not a mistake that only Boston and Buffalo were in the top 10 markets for the 2016 NHL Playoffs, despite not making the playoffs this year. Boston had higher TV ratings for the playoffs then Philly and NYC, despite NY having 2 teams in the payoffs and Flyers making the playoffs.
2016 STANLEY CUP FINAL IS MOST-WATCHED NON-ORIGINAL SIX SERIES IN 15 YEARS | NBC Sports Pressbox
You really think nobody goes to hockey games in NJ or PA? Get out from the rock of Boston you live under. Stop treating other states like they're Alabama. Typical big-headed ****ing Bostonian. Some of the best American-born players RIGHT NOW hail from PA/NJ.

Looks like someone doesn't understand how tv ratings work. Boston needs higher numbers to match the share of HH in New York and Philadelphia.

Still waiting for to you acknowledge the -23% decline in Bruins TV viewership..

Old 10-11-2016, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeyg2014 View Post
But Gillette doesn't sell out. Even back when tickets were cheap. So the argument that the Pats are restricted by capacity doesn't mean anything. The avg Pats ticket is $122 by the way vs $79 for the Falcons. The NY Giants have the most expensive tickets.

Stop using facts!

Boston is the center of all things in this world, don't you know?

Old 10-11-2016, 06:11 PM

Quote:
You really think nobody goes to hockey games in NJ or PA? Get out from the rock of Boston you live under. Stop treating other states like they're Alabama. Typical big-headed ****ing Bostonian. Some of the best American-born players RIGHT NOW hail from PA/NJ.

Looks like someone doesn't understand how tv ratings work. Boston needs higher numbers to match the share of HH in New York and Philadelphia.

Still waiting for to you acknowledge the -23% decline in Bruins TV viewership..
I understand how ratings work, it would be rather unreasonable to believe Buffalo, a market of 1.1 million produces more viewers than a Market of 22,000,000 in NYC.
I have attended college outside of New England, and for the most part, people from PA, NJ, and the lower Midwest were less likely to know hockey than New Englanders and Upstate New Yorkers.
Literally every town in Greater Boston has at least one rink, an nearly every high school has a Boys Hockey team, many have Girls Hockey. That isn't true in states outside of New England or the upper Midwest.
Many people from those states were going to their first Hockey game when we went to our Home Opener.

Old 10-11-2016, 06:12 PM

4,833 posts, read 5,735,287 times
Quote:
Most recent data I can find, but go nuts pal.

http://slapshot.blogs.nytimes.com/20...by-state/?_r=0
Nice stats from 7 years ago. But no stats on that pahe support your claim, either in pure numbers or percentages

You're the one making the wild claim. I would just like some stats to back it up
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.