Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2017, 05:11 PM

3,314 posts, read 2,216,776 times

Advertisements

Green Bay, WI-Appleton, WI CSA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2017, 07:42 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,170,662 times
I think that fast growing MSAs that don't currently have a CSA are the most likely to gain new CSA status. A MSA like Austin is a perfect example. As the MSA grows, it's going to eventually activate edge development in some adjacent counties that could become part of the metro through the CSA designation.

All this talk about combining existing MSAs and CSAs to create massive new CSAs seem like a really unlikely scenario at this point.

I absolutely expect that some existing CSAs and MSAs will change but I don't see them as being fundamentally revolutionary, rather evolutionary.

Old 05-12-2017, 08:27 PM

7,327 posts, read 12,341,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manitopiaaa View Post
2023? New CSA boundaries from OMB are coming out next year!

See Section 10(e) of OMB guidance here: https://www.census.gov/programs-surv...standards.html
"(e) The Office of Management and Budget will review the delineations of all existing CBSAs and related statistical areas in 2018 using 2011–2015 5-year commuting and employment estimates from the Census Bureau’s American Community Survey. The urbanized areas and urban clusters used in these delineations will be those based on 2010 Census data or subsequent special censuses for which urban areas are created. The central counties of CBSAs identified on the basis of a 2010 Census population count, or on the basis of population estimates from the Census Bureau’s Population Estimates Program or a special census count in the case of postcensally delineated areas, will constitute the central counties for purposes of the these area delineations. New CBSAs will be designated in 2018 on the basis of Census Bureau special census counts or population estimates as described above in Sections 10(b) and 10(c); outlying county qualification will be based on 5-year commuting estimates from the American Community Survey."
Interesting the OMB is doing a mid-cycle update to the CBSA delineations. I wonder if they will finally undo the split of the Raleigh and Durham MSAs back into one MSA instead of two MSAs in the same CSA.

Old 01-13-2021, 01:46 PM

2,504 posts, read 3,544,526 times
Brookings weighs in about potential combinations, based on 2017 commute flows:
https://www.brookings.edu/research/a...jurisdictions/

Old 01-13-2021, 02:01 PM

6,808 posts, read 6,049,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paytonc View Post
So they think that Worcester will be absorbed into Boston’s MSA? That’s kind of interesting. They do make a mistake, though: they say that Boston’s CSA is a combination of 3 MSA’s (Boston, Worcester, and Providence), but it’s actually 5 MSAs. They missed Nashua/Manchester and Barnstable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by qworldorder View Post
Is Portland really that intertwined with Greater Boston (already one of the most sprawling metros in the country)?
I know of two people in my area at work who commute to our office in Boston’s northern suburbs from southern ME. Not as far as Portland, I think, but from the more southern cities like Kennebunkport/Biddeford.

I could see Portland getting pumped in with Boston within my lifetime, but I don’t think we’re there yet. And covid‘s making remote work more common may even slow down that process. I’ll add, though, that Portland’s only a little further from Boston than Milwaukee is from Chicago, and lots of people seem to expect the latter merger to happen soon at the CSA level.

Old 01-13-2021, 02:13 PM

21,637 posts, read 12,785,792 times
Quote:
The Oxnard-Thousand Oaks-Ventura and Riverside-San Bernardino-Ontario MSAs are eligible to merge into the Los Angeles-Long Beach-Anaheim, Calif. MSA.

The Ogden-Clearfield and Provo-Orem MSAs will likely join the Salt Lake City, Utah MSA.

Worcester, MA-CT will join Boston-Cambridge-Newton, MA-NH

The [other] emerging megaregion that will likely meet the OMB standard soon is in California: the San Francisco-Oakland-Hayward MSA and the San Jose-Sunnyvale-Santa Clara MSA. As of 2017, the MSA containing San Jose already draws 22.6% of its workers from the San Francisco-Oakland MSA. If this trend continues, eventually these two MSAs will be merged by OMB.

That will put the 'Los Angeles-Venture-Riverside' MSA at 18,710,00

That will put the 'San Fran-Oakland-San Jose' MSA at 6,721,660

That will put the 'Boston-Worcester-Nashua' MSA at 5,820,400.

The issue here with Boston is this would include parts of NE Connecticut and SE New Hampshire in the MSA while excluding much of SEMA and all of Rhode Island.

One could drive directly west from Plymouth MA, drive out of the Boston MSA in Wrentham, MA and come back into it in Putnam CT...Worcesters MSA was recently expanded to include NE Connecticut. That's obviously, nonsensical.

Old 01-13-2021, 02:18 PM

21,637 posts, read 12,785,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston Shudra View Post
So they think that Worcester will be absorbed into Boston’s MSA? That’s kind of interesting. They do make a mistake, though: they say that Boston’s CSA is a combination of 3 MSA’s (Boston, Worcester, and Providence), but it’s actually 5 MSAs. They missed Nashua/Manchester and Barnstable.
The Boston Combined NECTA goes into 5 states MA-NH-ME-CT-RI. https://censusreporter.org/profiles/...ombined-necta/ 8.036M people

The Boston Metropolitan NECTA has 4.9 Million people https://censusreporter.org/profiles/...politan-necta/

The Springfield-Hartford Combined NECTA has 1.9 Million people

Worcester NECTA goes deep into CT https://censusreporter.org/profiles/...politan-necta/

Waterbury and Danbury CT get their own NECTAs https://censusreporter.org/profiles/...politan-necta/

https://censusreporter.org/profiles/...politan-necta/

Old 01-13-2021, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
That will put the 'Boston-Worcester-Nashua' MSA at 5,820,400.
Does the article think Nashua-Manchester will be absorbed into the MSA?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
The issue here with Boston is this would include parts of NE Connecticut and SE New Hampshire in the MSA while excluding much of SEMA and all of Rhode Island.
Would it be possible for Worcester County to be added to the MSA and Windham County to remain CSA or is it an all-or-nothing kind of deal?

I wonder something similar re:Portland’s MSA and Boston’s CSA. Could just York County be added to the CSA and not Cumberland County?

Old 01-13-2021, 02:44 PM

2,504 posts, read 3,544,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston Shudra View Post
I’ll add, though, that Portland’s only a little further from Boston than Milwaukee is from Chicago, and lots of people seem to expect the latter merger to happen soon at the CSA level.
Heh, driving 50 miles across Racine County, Wisconsin is an altogether different experience than driving 50 miles in the North Shore

Old 01-13-2021, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Heh, driving 50 miles across Racine County, Wisconsin is an altogether different experience than driving 50 miles in the North Shore
True, but it’s a bit weird that Somersworth, NH is in Boston’s MSA but Kittery, ME isn’t even in its CSA.

Like I said, I don’t think we’re there now or even close, but there’s a chance it happens in my lifetime.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.