Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Where?
New York City 16 3.10%
Greater Boston 32 6.20%
Philly 38 7.36%
DC/N. Virginia 50 9.69%
Raleigh/NC Research Triangle 32 6.20%
Austin 48 9.30%
San Francisco/Bay Area/Silicon Valley 13 2.52%
Baltimore 11 2.13%
Toronto 33 6.40%
Pittsburgh 35 6.78%
Chicago 99 19.19%
Atlanta 109 21.12%
Voters: 516. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2018, 10:36 AM

14,021 posts, read 15,018,765 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Even with Buffalo, it is an area that is built to hold more people, which it did a few decades ago. So, even with the big boost, the influx may not be that bad.
Even so between household size reductions and the people getting high paying jobs not wanting to live in the areas with the most vacant housing (e.g. east Buffalo) that might be mitigated to some extent.

Old 01-13-2018, 08:23 PM

37,148 posts, read 39,404,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
Even so between household size reductions and the people getting high paying jobs not wanting to live in the areas with the most vacant housing (e.g. east Buffalo) that might be mitigated to some extent.
I'd love to see an Amazon headquarters in East Buffalo that includes the Buffalo Central Terminal and the area around it and an ask for an extension of the light rail to it and further out to the airport as well as higher speed intercity Amtrak service. That's a pipe dream, but I want it.

Old 01-13-2018, 09:53 PM

9,398 posts, read 8,877,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GatsbyGatz View Post
So this is complete rumor and hearsay based so take what I say with a massive grain of salt. So my girlfriend is friends with a gal who nannies for a hyper wealthy family that is well connected with other high wealth Seattle-area families. This nanny and the mother told my girlfriend that Amazon folks mentioned that they view their HQ2 placement as a huge “gift” to the region they select and also that they have no interest in “gifting” conservative regions which support discriminatory policies, either political or social. So basically, what this family divined from what they heard is that a likely HQ2 placement will probably be in a very liberal or at least moderate region, and that Amazon will basically “invest” in a region that they support for political reasons.
That is an interesting theory, but I think it is incorrect. Amazon will do what is best for the company principally due to revenue, profit potential, and return to stockholders. There may be some indirect political components, but I do not believe they are the overriding deal makers/breakers.

Last edited by pnwguy2; 01-13-2018 at 10:02 PM..

Old 01-14-2018, 10:07 AM

8,624 posts, read 10,148,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GatsbyGatz View Post
So this is complete rumor and hearsay based so take what I say with a massive grain of salt. So my girlfriend is friends with a gal who nannies for a hyper wealthy family that is well connected with other high wealth Seattle-area families. This nanny and the mother told my girlfriend that Amazon folks mentioned that they view their HQ2 placement as a huge “gift” to the region they select and also that they have no interest in “gifting” conservative regions which support discriminatory policies, either political or social. So basically, what this family divined from what they heard is that a likely HQ2 placement will probably be in a very liberal or at least moderate region, and that Amazon will basically “invest” in a region that they support for political reasons.
If Amazon was truly interested in the political landscape, it seems to me that they wouldn't be opposed to considering conservative regions with the hopes of trying to change the political landscape in those locations.

Old 01-14-2018, 11:46 AM

984 posts, read 1,314,827 times
I can see Amazon only going towards more liberal areas both municipally and state/provincially. Amazon want to be viewed as a 21st century company and not one of the old guard corporations and wants it's workforce and reputation to reflect that.

This is why I have never really thought that the H2Q would go to Atlanta or Dallas. They certainly have a shot but their politics and reputation get in the way. I would be surprised if Amazon went to any of the southern states. Let's face it, anything south of Washington DC has a reputation, fairly or not, of being red-neck territory save Miami. Seriously, if you asked Americans {or anyone on the planet who knows a decent amount about the US} what part of the country is the most socially conservative, 99% would say "The South". That's not the kind of values that a company like Amazon wants to be associated with.

Personally I think Boston is the front runner with Washington & Toronto closely behind and then Philly and Chicago. I would say there are 3 potential "upset" cities........Cleveland, Pittsburgh, and Montreal.

Old 01-14-2018, 12:10 PM

4,675 posts, read 7,405,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mooguy View Post
Personally I think Boston is the front runner with Washington & Toronto closely behind and then Philly and Chicago. I would say there are 3 potential "upset" cities........Cleveland, Pittsburgh, and Montreal.
I don't think most people see a Canadian city anywhere in the running, and I think they're right. With the current wave of American populism, and a slew of American cities that could really use the tax base and jobs, I think Amazon would be shooting their bottom line in the foot, as it were, to build HQ2 outside of the U.S.

Old 01-14-2018, 12:20 PM

Perhaps that is true although Bezos hatred of Trump could mean he does it just to spite Trump.

Economically, a Canadian city makes more sense than any US city. Wages are lower, a 30% discount on all expenses due to the dollar subsidy, a lower corporate tax rate, a more immigration friendly environment, and free healthcare which is estimated to save Amazon nearly $600 million annually in healthcare costs. There is no US city that can offer any of those massive financial benefits.

As you correctly state however, politics will play a part which is why a Canadian city {we are really only talking about Montreal & Toronto here as no other place has a hope in hell} may not be in the cards just as The South's conservative reputation and political environment may knock out Atlanta and Dallas.

Old 01-14-2018, 12:24 PM

One thing I am proud of with the Canadian bids is that none have tried to bribe Amazon with taxpayer handouts and government bribes. They all refused to offer government largess to buy their way into winning. Of all companies Amazon is not in need of a government bailout and I'm glad Canadian cities didn't sink to that level....................if you want to come great but were not going to bribe you to do it.

Old 01-14-2018, 03:43 PM

9,818 posts, read 7,931,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mooguy View Post
This is why I have never really thought that the H2Q would go to Atlanta or Dallas. They certainly have a shot but their politics and reputation get in the way. I would be surprised if Amazon went to any of the southern states. Let's face it, anything south of Washington DC has a reputation, fairly or not, of being red-neck territory save Miami.
Well traveled people and the corporate world know better, hence the extended boom the region has been and is experiencing. And it's interesting that Miami always gets a pass, yet is the least likely to ever get any significant corporate relocations.

Basically, most of us could care less what ignorant people from elsewhere think of the South.

Old 01-14-2018, 04:36 PM

3,594 posts, read 1,793,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post
Well traveled people and the corporate world know better, hence the extended boom the region has been and is experiencing. And it's interesting that Miami always gets a pass, yet is the least likely to ever get any significant corporate relocations.

Basically, most of us could care less what ignorant people from elsewhere think of the South.
The southeast is BOOMING due to it's pro-business, pro-personal responsibility, limited government stance that much of the northeast has abandoned. Yet we get called names and ridiculed by the them. Ironically the poor here, the people who they claim we hate, live much more practical lives, low cost of living, high property ownership, high business ownership. It is not segregated at all it is very common to see white families and black families living side by side in trailers where as up north it's completely racially segregated. They are the ones with the backwards thinking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.