Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Where?
New York City 16 3.10%
Greater Boston 32 6.20%
Philly 38 7.36%
DC/N. Virginia 50 9.69%
Raleigh/NC Research Triangle 32 6.20%
Austin 48 9.30%
San Francisco/Bay Area/Silicon Valley 13 2.52%
Baltimore 11 2.13%
Toronto 33 6.40%
Pittsburgh 35 6.78%
Chicago 99 19.19%
Atlanta 109 21.12%
Voters: 516. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2018, 08:38 PM

12,735 posts, read 21,779,367 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rednas View Post
Before Harvey I would have agreed with you due to the connection that Bezos has with Houston.Since Harvey I do not think any company that is not oil would want to be located here.
I think you are falling too much into the Harvey hype. The area I'm referring to wasn't touched by floodwaters at all. Houston will be fine. You can't escape Mother Nature.

Old 01-10-2018, 08:39 PM

12,735 posts, read 21,779,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwguy2 View Post
Actually, you are in the right State. But the city remains to be determined.
You're referring to Austin?

Old 01-10-2018, 09:02 PM

127 posts, read 156,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBoy205 View Post
I think you are falling too much into the Harvey hype. The area I'm referring to wasn't touched by floodwaters at all. Houston will be fine. You can't escape Mother Nature.
I know that that specific lot you are referring to was not touched but just down the street in braeswood was along with many areas just around there such as bellaire. Even if the lot that Amazon is located in does not flood that does not mean that some of their thousands of their employees would not be affected.

I do agree that you cannot escape mother nature but Houston is extremely susceptible to mother nature. more so than most cities in the country (the ones I have lived in atleast)

Old 01-11-2018, 02:10 AM

984 posts, read 1,314,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdovell View Post
Keep in mind they said Metro area not actual city.

I'm thinking Detroit, Cincinnati, Nashville, Hartford, and Philly.

Reason being is many of those have the space, the costs and the access to other markets. If costs were not a factor we would see this being pushed in NYC. I see more of a midwest or eastern path on this and staying in the USA.

It can't be in SF because they just don't have space let alone the price. Boston? The traffic alone and the fact that the MBTA is in a financial control board would have this yanked.
Well if Amazon's "need to have list" was genuine then Nashville, Cincinnati, and Detroit don't have a hope in hell and neither does Durham/Raleigh, Memphis, Columbus, Austin, Indy amongst many others because they have incredibly poor transit and completely car dominated.

If I had to guess 2 cities that may not be considered top contenders but may surprise us it would be Pittsburgh and Cleveland. Both have good urbanity, airports, solid downtowns, and quite good transit and Cleveland having it's Red Line subway going right downtown from the airport is a big plus. Both have excellent schools, are on the Eastern time zone, and are cities where Bezos could really make his mark which is important with a man like Bezos who has an industrial size ego.

Old 01-11-2018, 06:45 AM

37,882 posts, read 41,956,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mooguy View Post
Well if Amazon's "need to have list" was genuine then Nashville, Cincinnati, and Detroit don't have a hope in hell and neither does Durham/Raleigh, Memphis, Columbus, Austin, Indy amongst many others because they have incredibly poor transit and completely car dominated.

If I had to guess 2 cities that may not be considered top contenders but may surprise us it would be Pittsburgh and Cleveland. Both have good urbanity, airports, solid downtowns, and quite good transit and Cleveland having it's Red Line subway going right downtown from the airport is a big plus. Both have excellent schools, are on the Eastern time zone, and are cities where Bezos could really make his mark which is important with a man like Bezos who has an industrial size ego.
If Bezos is looking to really make his mark on a city that has most of what's needed to land HQ2, I don't think it gets any better than Baltimore myself with Newark coming in second.

Old 01-11-2018, 07:06 AM

3,332 posts, read 3,697,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
If Bezos is looking to really make his mark on a city that has most of what's needed to land HQ2, I don't think it gets any better than Baltimore myself with Newark coming in second.
I've been saying Baltimore would be such an awesome choice! Low COL and can pull from the Northeast talent pull.

Old 01-11-2018, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebck120 View Post
I've been saying Baltimore would be such an awesome choice! Low COL and can pull from the Northeast talent pull.
Absolutely.

Old 01-11-2018, 08:05 AM

14,483 posts, read 11,282,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mooguy View Post
I think Atlanta is a major contender but I don't think it will go there. I still think it's a battle between Boston, Toronto, Philly, Washington, and Chicago.
Amazon is currently looking for 1 million sq feet in Boston. This is 1/8 of the total square footage they were looking for for the 2nd HQ. Maybe they will be breaking up this 2nd HQ into multiple locations instead.

It could also be completely unrelated.

https://www.boston.com/news/business...feet-in-boston

Old 01-11-2018, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Joshua View Post
Amazon is currently looking for 1 million sq feet in Boston. This is 1/8 of the total square footage they were looking for for the 2nd HQ. Maybe they will be breaking up this 2nd HQ into multiple locations instead.

It could also be completely unrelated.

https://www.boston.com/news/business...feet-in-boston
The story said it is an unrelated move.

Old 01-11-2018, 08:26 AM

12,059 posts, read 13,890,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rednas View Post
No zoning was a factor in some ways but the location is just really prone to flooding due to the crazy amount of rain that falls on the area even without hurricanes. I am personally leaving Houston the end of this year and one of the factors is that I am not comfortable purchasing a home here knowing that flooding is always gonna be a factor since we have had 3 major floods in just over the last 2 years including Harvey. Since I do not have family in Houston keeping me in the area I have no real reason to stay in the area and dealing with flooding issues perpetually.
Did your place flood during Harvey?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.