Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2018, 04:25 PM

2,262 posts, read 2,401,275 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
Completely untrue. To use the most extreme example, Miami and most of Los Angeles don't even feel like the United States anymore because of immigration and how these immigrants are keeping their national culture vs assimilating into American culture.

Northern Virginia and the Charlotte area are parts of the South where the Southern culture is heavily diluted by transplants and its also affected the politics. It all depends on the rate of transplants coming in. In West Virginia and Louisiana, transplants come at a slow enough rate where they either assimilate or they just can't fit in and end up leaving. In NOVA transplants have swamped the region where they have formed their own culture and their own group that has no outnumbered the natives.
Yeah but the difference is, Northern Virginia has always been somewhat progressive, it didn't just overnight turn liberal, it's always somewhat been there.

People often times acclimate to their environment - not the opposite, their environment doesn't acclimate to them. I just don't buy the argument that someday North Carolina or [insert random southern state] is going to somehow become NYC 2.0. Somewhere like Texas is a perfect example, Dems for years have been saying we're finally going to win the state but even with transplants it has yet to happen and probably won't for a long time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2018, 04:34 PM

10,105 posts, read 7,406,923 times
Historically the south was fiscally liberal...that was a big reason why the Democratic party owned it until the 1960s along with the slavery /segregation policies. It was middle class transplants that shifted the south to the right.

I don't think the 'South' has a singular identity and never has. People in the south are unique individuals with different views and preferences.

Old 04-16-2018, 05:16 PM

37,882 posts, read 41,970,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClemVegas View Post
Historically the south was fiscally liberal...that was a big reason why the Democratic party owned it until the 1960s along with the slavery /segregation policies. It was middle class transplants that shifted the south to the right.

I don't think the 'South' has a singular identity and never has. People in the south are unique individuals with different views and preferences.
The way you think is pretty darn fascinating to say the least.

Old 04-16-2018, 05:53 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,319,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClemVegas View Post

Interesting, how did you come to this conclusion?

Old 04-16-2018, 05:55 PM

657 posts, read 802,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
All of your assumptions were wrong. Since you don't live in the south, you obviously do not understand it. And the south being just "rednecks and trailer parks" shows your ignorance and myth-pandering.

Here is one reason that makes the south different: People enjoy communicating with each other. Striking up a conversation with a stranger is not only common, but encouraged and respected. I've been around the country, and not seen that to an extent like in the south. And it's all across the south too. That hasn't changed one bit over the centuries, and shows no sign of changing.

People also spend more time outdoors and with groups (outdoor concerts, events, parties, picnics, festivals) and enjoy hanging out together, more than any other region.

There is also a cuisine and food base unique to the south, with more flavor and cultural influences than the rest of the country, that often attracts chefs and interest from around the world.

There you have it, three very clear reasons that make the south unique and special. Go ahead and get mad about it.

Only those in the south can truly speak for it. People from other regions can make up whatever ideas they want, but it's just a matter of unfamiliarity and prejudice.
Well, that's great then. But I think you've completely misinterpreted my post. I wasn't dissing the South, quite the opposite. I was stating that constant ridicule(that's what I meant by rednecks and trailer parks) of Southern culture from around the country has lead to young people not wanting to be associated with it. Thus my grim conclusion that Southern culture will be dead soon. Based on your post though, maybe I'm wrong.

Old 04-16-2018, 05:59 PM

I grew up in SC and I rarely talk to people in line at grocery stores and I don't see other people doing it that much.

Old 04-16-2018, 07:09 PM

1,296 posts, read 1,220,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
The way you think is pretty darn fascinating to say the least.
No it isn't...LOL. Just lots of cognitive dissonance and conjecture from that poster

Old 04-16-2018, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuit_head View Post
No it isn't...LOL. Just lots of cognitive dissonance and conjecture from that poster
What does this even mean?

The south went from voting from FDR to voting to Reagan. It went from a Democratic stronghold to a GOP stronghold. My point is you can say the 'identity' of the region changed a long time ago. It is also went to an area that supported slavery and segregation to not supporting those things. This is history, not conjecture.

In 1932, 98 percent of the voters in SC voted for FDR. He's considered the father of liberalism in this country.

Old 04-16-2018, 07:42 PM
_OT

2,183 posts, read 2,420,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Of course. There's hardly any Choctaw culture left in Alabama after transplants invaded it.
Underrated Post.

Fun Fact: My Great Grandmother was Creek.

Old 04-16-2018, 09:02 PM

6,476 posts, read 6,451,557 times
No, the south has not lost its "identity." People moving in can't just erase "identity", and besides, it's easy to assimilate. People act like moving from the north to the south is like moving from the north to Uzbekistan.

This is probably one of the most annoying things I hear. Were northerners complaining about us ruining their culture when we were flooding their cities in the 20th century? Detroit didn't go from 465k to 1.8 million people in 40 years just from births.

Native southerners are drinking less sweet tea, going to church less, sitting on their porches less - if they even have one. It's not just transplants doing that, which narrow minded people think. Nor are transplants not doing these things. I met a girl freshman year of college from the UK. Didn't even take 2 years before she was wearing Lilly Pulitzer and southern sunhats, cowboy boots, going to country concerts, and even posing with the American flag. I also had a friend move here from Australia in 8th grade. By 11th grade she had a full on accent and never complained that she couldn't do "Australian things."

We still do all these southern things and always will. Southern bars will never turn off an SEC football game so everyone can watch a MAC football game...once that happens, I'll concede.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.