Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2018, 01:10 PM

37,882 posts, read 41,970,495 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwalker96 View Post
Raliegh is only 4 hrs away from DC which is pretty close compared to Atlanta and from my experience, as someone who only lives 2 hrs away from Raleigh and visits there frequently, I don't hear any strong southern accents over there compared to other cites in the south. Atlanta while pretty much the poster child for the modern south still has strong southern history, being that it played a big role during the civil war and civil rights era. The natives in Atlanta still gives off the classic southern accent while Raleigh natives gives off the southern-lite accent.
I can agree with that, but it has to do with a greater proportion of transplants from the Northeast and not simply closer proximity to the Northeast.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
What is wrong with having a southern influence?
I never said or implied anything was wrong with it. But Raleigh doesn't have any kind of "southern influence;" it is Southern.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2018, 05:57 AM

2,212 posts, read 1,452,558 times
Virginia, North Carolina and urban Georgia surely are changing, but even those states retain much of their heritage especially in rural areas. Most of the Deep South is still quite southern.

It is important to believe and accept that no "identity" is stable, but rather always becoming as the world changes.

Old 05-05-2018, 06:45 AM

14,055 posts, read 13,942,709 times
The states such as Mississippi,Alabama, Arkansas, Tennessee, Kentucky, Louisiana, Oklahoma, Georgia still have that southern vibes less northern influence.

Northerns invaded states of Florida, North and South Carolina along with Virginia.

Old 05-05-2018, 07:41 AM

3,162 posts, read 2,214,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPt111 View Post
The states such as Mississippi,Alabama, Arkansas, Tennessee, Kentucky, Louisiana, Oklahoma, Georgia still have that southern vibes less northern influence.

Northerns invaded states of Florida, North and South Carolina along with Virginia.
The degree of having a traditional Southern identity really depends on the specific part of each state. I don't think South Carolina is any less Southern in character than Georgia overall - both states have a substantial mix of transplants and regional natives. Being less urban and with a higher proportion of communities on the Atlantic seaboard, South Carolina tends to attract a larger share of retirees, while Georgia draws more young adults. The northern Atlanta suburbs certainly are more generically white collar and cosmopolitan in nature than traditionally Southern.

Old 05-05-2018, 09:32 AM
_OT

2,183 posts, read 2,420,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPt111 View Post

South Carolina still has some Southern Culture.

Florida and North Carolina on the other hand, smh sad.

Old 05-05-2018, 10:59 AM

9,818 posts, read 7,937,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by _OT View Post
South Carolina still has some Southern Culture.

Florida and North Carolina on the other hand, smh sad.
You must not know Florida & North Carolina very well if you think this. Large areas of both are still as straight-up Southern as they have ever been.

Old 05-05-2018, 11:05 AM

10,105 posts, read 7,406,923 times
I grew up in SC and I don't even understand what 'Southern Culture' is supposed to mean.

Old 05-05-2018, 04:47 PM

23,466 posts, read 44,100,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClemVegas View Post
I grew up in SC and I don't even understand what 'Southern Culture' is supposed to mean.
I find that interesting, to say the least.

Old 05-05-2018, 05:37 PM

10,105 posts, read 7,406,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iconographer View Post
I find that interesting, to say the least.
Can you define 'Southern culture'?

I think of southerners and all people as individuals.

I don't understand the point in grouping and characterizing people by what region of the country they live in.

Old 05-06-2018, 07:21 AM

23,466 posts, read 44,100,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClemVegas View Post
Can you define 'Southern culture'?

I think of southerners and all people as individuals.

I don't understand the point in grouping and characterizing people by what region of the country they live in.
Can you define any culture with any real assurance? It's a very difficult thing to do, as it's a complex system of traditions, mannerisms, inflections and opinions. Nevertheless, when one is immersed in a particular culture, it's easy to feel immersed in it and keenly aware of it as a thing apart from other cultures.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.