Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2010, 07:43 PM

93,238 posts, read 123,842,121 times

Advertisements

If people looked at Morgantown on a map, it is practically a short drive to PA. It gets it's media from Pittsburgh and the teams it plays are traditionally from the Northeast. Syracuse is a long time rival and even play for a cup(the name slips my mind).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2010, 09:06 PM

3,092 posts, read 4,967,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHG722 View Post
Detroit=Canada!
Seeing as there are probably more black people in Detroit alone than in the entire country of Canada, I don't see much Canadian about it lol.

Old 07-26-2010, 09:10 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,895,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UTHORNS96 View Post
Seeing as there are probably more black people in Detroit alone than in the entire country of Canada, I don't see much Canadian about it lol.

Funny thing is i never heard of the canadian reference until later in life when i interacted with more southerners. Is that phrase completely a Southern thing?

Old 07-27-2010, 06:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UTHORNS96 View Post
LOL....I will say that many of those Black folks in the D have family in SW Ontario in towns like Chatham, Sandwich, Windsor, Wallaceburg, Dresden and Amherstburg(who's mayor is Black actually).

Anyway, how did we get into this again?

Old 07-27-2010, 01:13 PM

6,071 posts, read 9,095,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
If people looked at Morgantown on a map, it is practically a short drive to PA. It gets it's media from Pittsburgh and the teams it plays are traditionally from the Northeast. Syracuse is a long time rival and even play for a cup(the name slips my mind).
Battle For The Schwartzwalder Trophy

The state of WV is divided geographicly

Northern WV, Southern WV, Eastern, and Western all have different culture

Morgantown is more like Pittsburgh obviously, but Charleston and Huntington are more like Midwest cities

And so on!!!

Old 07-27-2010, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscross309 View Post
Battle For The Schwartzwalder Trophy

The state of WV is divided geographicly

Northern WV, Southern WV, Eastern, and Western all have different culture

Morgantown is more like Pittsburgh obviously, but Charleston and Huntington are more like Midwest cities

And so on!!!
Thank You! That's it, as Ben Schwartzwalder was the head coach at Syracuse from 1949-1973. He played at WVU and is originally from there. So, it makes total sense......

Same with the cultural differences in WV. For instance, people forget that there are some communities in Northern WV that has a strong Italian American flavor to them(i.e.-Weirton and Wheeling). So, it is a state that varies depending upon the region.

Old 07-27-2010, 01:33 PM

7,845 posts, read 20,801,231 times
Quote:
Oh really? Check out WVU's football schedule...

Coastal Carolina
Marshall
Maryland
LSU
UNLV
South Florida
Syracuse
UConn
Cincinnati
Louisville
Pittsburgh
Rutgers

Half of the teams WVU plays are from the South, while only five are from the Northeast...so the teams it plays are not "traditionally" from the Northeast.

West Virginia IS NOT a northeastern state in any way, shape or form. It may have ties to Pennsylvania, but so does every state that borders another one. I personally don't care and don't want West Virginia to be included in the South, but it's definitely not included in the Northeast...sorry. You may want it to be, but it's not.

Old 07-27-2010, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
Oh really? Check out WVU's football schedule...

Coastal Carolina
Marshall
Maryland
LSU
UNLV
South Florida
Syracuse
UConn
Cincinnati
Louisville
Pittsburgh
Rutgers

Half of the teams WVU plays are from the South, while only five are from the Northeast...so the teams it plays are not "traditionally" from the Northeast.

West Virginia IS NOT a northeastern state in any way, shape or form. It may have ties to Pennsylvania, but so does every state that borders another one. I personally don't care and don't want West Virginia to be included in the South, but it's definitely not included in the Northeast...sorry. You may want it to be, but it's not.
Wow! How can I explain this? As a person that has grown up on watching Eastern Football, trust me when I say that WVU has a strong history with programs like Rutgers, Syracuse, Boston College, Pittsburgh, Temple, Penn State and even Army and Navy to a good degree. Think about college football before the creation of the Big East, which has changed quite a bit over the years. When they were an independant, they most certainly played teams based in the Northeast. While the current schedule has those teams on there, if you took a look back in previous decades, you would understand what I'm getting at.

Also, it's not like they don't still play teams from the NE. So, again, take a look at the history in terms of the teams they play and you will see what I'm talking about. It's biggest rivals are Syracuse and Pittsburgh.

Old 07-27-2010, 04:40 PM

6,071 posts, read 9,095,810 times
Quote:
Thank You! That's it, as Ben Schwartzwalder was the head coach at Syracuse from 1949-1973. He played at WVU and is originally from there. So, it makes total sense......

Same with the cultural differences in WV. For instance, people forget that there are some communities in Northern WV that has a strong Italian American flavor to them(i.e.-Weirton and Wheeling). So, it is a state that varies depending upon the region.
Your welcome

Also towns like Fairmont, Clarkesburg, and even Morgantown are very Italian

My sister lives in Fairmont and works in an Italian restaruant

back to the OP though

Most of the students at WVU, that are from out of state, are from PA and NJ, and they normaly bring that culture to Morgantown

Old 07-28-2010, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscross309 View Post
Your welcome

Also towns like Fairmont, Clarkesburg, and even Morgantown are very Italian

My sister lives in Fairmont and works in an Italian restaruant

back to the OP though

Most of the students at WVU, that are from out of state, are from PA and NJ, and they normaly bring that culture to Morgantown
Exactly... Can't forget the Polish/Slavic influence in some of these same cities too. So, that part of the state does have more of a NE/Midwestern vibe in terms of the make up of the cities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.