Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2008, 09:58 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,372,455 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC 38 View Post
That is funny; that is how I react when I see a Chicago Style hot dog.
What do you prefer? Grocery store-brand franks with some ketchup and mustard on a crusty bun?

Give me a tasty Vienna Beef hotdog anyday, smothered in onion, pickle, mustard, celery salt, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2008, 11:16 PM

21,618 posts, read 31,197,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Just looking at those pics of CT pizza makes me want to hurl my guts out. Part of the overall pizza package is physical appearance, something New Haven-style fails miserably at. It looks like someone cooked some dead dog a$$, threw some spoiled goat cheese on it, then cooked it too long.
It's all about the taste. Screw the appearance, that means nothing. Don't knock it 'til ya try it!

I think appearance is the only thing Chicago pizza has going for it.

Old 12-26-2008, 06:12 AM

6,339 posts, read 11,084,820 times
I've eaten more than my fair share of very nice looking pizzas that tasted like garbage. Conversely, I've eaten great pizzas with excellent ingredients and great flavor that may be minus a perfect circular shape in the crust or has some charr to it (common with NY, Neapolitan and New Haven styles). Only shallow people judge a book by its cover. :-)

Mucke's Hot Dogs which are made in the Hartford area are the best I've tasted. Nathan's would be my second favorite. Vienna dogs from Chicago are also pretty good...

Personally, I like Chicago pizza but it's not my favorite. The Deep Dish takes some getting used to but if you approach it the same way as you would Cincinnati Chili then it makes it easier to understand. They share very little in common with traditional styles but if you think of them as being something other than what they are, then they are quite tasty. In other words, if you think of Cincinnati Chili as being something like a "beef goulash" and the deep dish pizza as an open faced calzone, then you are in business. Very tasty stuff but not like their cousin's Texas Chili or the aforementioned thin crust pizzas.

Old 12-26-2008, 12:27 PM

1,501 posts, read 5,102,565 times
I like a good Cleveland or Detroit pizza - a little thicker than New York , but not as thick as Chicago.

Old 12-26-2008, 01:09 PM

4,343 posts, read 3,557,091 times
Generally, either Chicago or New York City. They're still world-famous.

Old 12-26-2008, 01:36 PM

2,245 posts, read 7,191,123 times
^ It's amazing how people don't read the OP.

Old 01-01-2009, 02:44 PM

3,742 posts, read 8,392,752 times
Besides New York and Chicago, I'd have to say that St. Louis is the only city I can think of that would qualify. New York, Chicago, and St. Louis all have their own distinctive pizza styles, each I think is very delicious.

Old 01-01-2009, 03:11 PM

2,819 posts, read 10,402,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DailyJournalist View Post
Philadelphia and North Jersey.
Exactly, that and anything in the Queens, Brooklyn area.
It's the water!

Chicago, Ok I will give you deep dish only. That so called thin crust crap with Ragu paste and cheese cut into squares ain't pizza! If it ain't a slice if it ain't a three finger fold, it ain't pizza.

In closing, there isn't anyplace in the Southeast that even knows the definition of good pie.
Lived down here now for 5 years and something out of an Easy Bake Oven from Playschool makes better pie than here. Sorry! Truth does hurt.

Old 01-01-2009, 06:21 PM

5,509 posts, read 9,490,296 times
Sorry I can't list 5 cities. But I searched this thread and saw no mention of Youngstown.

We even have our own "style" of pizza, Brier Hill pizza.

From the Wiki article about the neighborhood:
Quote:
a humble, homestyle pizza-- with its origins in the Basilicata region of Italy -- made with a generous amount of thick Sunday sauce, bell peppers and romano cheese rather than the usual mozzarella

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brier_Hill

Some (but not all) places with good pizza (not just Brier Hill style) in the Youngstown area:

Avalon Gardens
Wedgewood Pizza
Sunrise Inn (in Warren)

Old 01-01-2009, 06:24 PM

559 posts, read 1,464,101 times
Phoenix has Pizzera Bianco. I was kind of disappointed with New Yorks pizza when i visited there, we went to a couple different spots and none of them were fantastic, just ok. But man when i live in chicago....couldn't get enough of that deep dish.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.