Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2011, 03:11 PM

535 posts, read 1,411,484 times

Advertisements

Don't let me start with my current city: Miami, Florida....

Here women dress like sluts, chongas, low-class and the more you show the better . In general, I HATE HOW WOMEN PORTRAY THEMSELVES in Miami. They are basically screaming to the world "Come get me, I'm unlocked"... If you dress conservative in Miami, women critize you telling that you dress like a nun (personal experience). Most women dress with super short dresses and shorts where you can see all their junk and see thru suggestive tops, tacky sandals, flip-flops, not nice...

Men dress tacky too with super sparkly shirts, ugly shorts, and flip-flops, but there's a small segment that dresses nice in Express, Lacoste and INC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2011, 04:21 PM

10,111 posts, read 9,976,086 times
[quote=boreatwork;21146410]Baltimore has gotten better over the years..when I first came out there in 03 everybody was wearing supertall tees capris and either dark green or brown some type of jackets.[/QUOT

Lol. What we're we thinking wearing that crap. Still, tho fashion has changed, everybody here wears the same thing. Ugh boots, polo shirts, fake leather jackets from shoe city...etc.

Old 10-04-2011, 04:46 PM

9,726 posts, read 16,744,348 times
One of three options:

1. Urban hiker
2. Hipster
3. Homeless

Old 10-05-2011, 06:22 AM

1,261 posts, read 2,146,755 times
Very casually in and around Portland (OR). T-shirt and jeans are acceptable almost anywhere, even in nice restaurants. A casual dress shirt and khaki pants are suitable for plays or the symphony.

Personally I wouldn't have it any other way. People here recognize clothes for their real, utilitarian purpose. Here, I don't feel compelled to dress up for ridiculous reasons. (e.g. Because it's a certain venue, or a certain type of event, or even a certain time of day/year! I find that kind of thing completely ridiculous).

Last edited by Lunar Delta; 10-05-2011 at 06:32 AM..

Old 10-06-2011, 12:12 AM

82 posts, read 152,032 times
Guys have four main looks here: the skater/gangster look wearing baggy skinny jeans or baggy shorts, skate shoes, hoodies and flat brimmed hats with guages in thier ears and other tattoos and piercings; the EMO look which is like skater/gangster look exept darker clothes and hair, less baggy pants and screamo shirts; the woodsman redneck look with blue jeans, t shirt, outdoors, auto or sport related sweat shirt with possibly a carhart jacket, with boots and a camoflage baseball cap or the Hipster, hippie look which speaks for its self.

Old 10-06-2011, 12:14 AM

82 posts, read 152,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamplight View Post
One of three options:

1. Urban hiker
2. Hipster
3. Homeless

LOL don't forget about trailer park gangster

Old 10-06-2011, 07:59 AM

9,726 posts, read 16,744,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNWdrifter View Post
LOL don't forget about trailer park gangster
Oh yeah, I forgot. Those are surprisingly common here, and I thought I had left that style behind in TN!

Old 10-06-2011, 11:19 PM

7,639 posts, read 18,127,435 times
Here in (northern) Minnesota, jeans and a T-shirt (or more realistically, sweatshirt) are universally accepted apparel, except in the legal, medical, and other professions where they actually have a dress code. I do not notice brand names any more, but I doubt the normal (adult) Joe or Jill sports Lacoste or Urban Outfitters, and "designer" labels like Gucci and Prada are extremely rare (and they should be - why waste $400 on a pair of jeans?) People dress practically here, and I'm glad for that - I do not want to be a fashion victim! An interesting side note - women (above 18-21) do not usually wear especially revealing clothing here, which apparently is rare nationally, though when I went to NYC I did not see any evidence of it either. I did in Florida, but it was the summer.

Of course, youth have their own fashions, which seem to be more in line with what adults wear as of late. However, growing up it was not always that way. When kids my age became fashion conscious, at around 10 years of age, Starter jackets were in style. Then in 5th grade (1997-1998), baggy jeans became all the rage - my dad did not want me to wear them, and I was often teased for my sweat pants. Particularly popular was the JNCO brand. In 7th grade, when I went back to my old school, it seemed that as long as an item sported a brand name (that was NOT a store brand), it was in. Prep brands (A & F, American Eagle), adult brands (Tommy Hilfiger, Ralph Lauren Polo), surfer brands (Billabong, Quicksand), and ghetto labels (FUBU, Pure Playaz, Avirex, etc., etc.) were all in, despite being located in the Midwest and virtually all-white. I would do the smart thing and buy at a hefty discount at TJ Maxx. In high school, the ghetto brands disappeared except on the "burnout" kids, and what remained was more of the preppier brands - A & F was particularly popular. I remember almost everybody (except me) had "faded tees", usually with a surf-related theme. In college, polo shirts were popular, while the middle/high school girls continued to wear A & F and Aeropostale.

Old 10-07-2011, 03:22 AM

3,522 posts, read 6,104,516 times
wow that is a loaded question.
My perception has to be broken down

Teens- Just like the other poster mentioned falls into different categories.
The baggy look, the hooded sweatshirt look
The I want to be Chris Angel Look
The I am cool Mountain Dew, Dr. Pepper want to be 1980's look.
The gangsta look.

Working class
Actual workers electricians plumbers etc.
Jeans t shirt , work boots usually sporting a natural dark tan and always has a favorite hat to wear along with that I cant wait till friday beer time look.

Office workers
Usually casual dress some type of dockers wear or a prep look
button down shirt.
The girls unless its ultra casual day usually wear attractive clothes with assortments of summery dresses and always look GOOD

Its still warm so you have the I am never wear shoe people , but sandles clicking and clacking their way around along with the ugly crocs.

Winter time too many people wearing the North Face garb
Winter time you have the people with normal hats and the people who wear some dr. suess looking type of hat usually with some funny tassles hanging down. If they only knew how silly they looked in these hats they would not wear them.

Then you have the group that decides to think its england in the 1900's and cut the fingers out of the gloves look

For some people for some reason they really think its the 70's I am just waiting for the Dorothy Hammil cut to come back along with the god awful giant eye glasses for the men and women If you lived in the 70's you know which ones i am talking about.

Old 10-07-2011, 03:33 AM

973 posts, read 1,705,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunar Delta View Post
Very casually in and around Portland (OR). T-shirt and jeans are acceptable almost anywhere, even in nice restaurants. A casual dress shirt and khaki pants are suitable for plays or the symphony.

Personally I wouldn't have it any other way. People here recognize clothes for their real, utilitarian purpose. Here, I don't feel compelled to dress up for ridiculous reasons. (e.g. Because it's a certain venue, or a certain type of event, or even a certain time of day/year! I find that kind of thing completely ridiculous).
Very sad....There still should be a sense of decorum in certain instances. Amercians have overall just gotten too sloppy and uncaring in how they dress, and they will defend their right to dress that way until they die thinking they are in the right to dress in any way that is "comfortable" or "utilitarian". Another reason marking our decline in this world as dressing for the occasion is what civilized people do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.