Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: If you had to move to the South where would you move?
Charlotte 20 14.39%
Virginia Beach 13 9.35%
Atlanta 10 7.19%
Jacksonville 3 2.16%
Tampa 4 2.88%
Orlando 1 0.72%
Miami 17 12.23%
Nashville 15 10.79%
Memphis 3 2.16%
New Orleans 4 2.88%
Dallas 10 7.19%
Houston 16 11.51%
San Antonio 4 2.88%
Austin 19 13.67%
Voters: 139. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2009, 09:38 PM

4,682 posts, read 12,057,650 times

Advertisements

Of the ones listed: Charlotte, Nashville, New Orleans, or Tampa, in that rough order.

Lived near Chattanooga for few wonderful years - love that area; northern Georgia, SE Tennessee,,, that is region.
Sweet tea, waterfalls, hills, caves, flowing streams, beautiful land, good warm people.

Old 01-10-2009, 01:35 AM

8,180 posts, read 14,865,184 times
I still don't get VA Beach. Not taking anything away from the place, but I just don't get it. Hell, at least choose the true urban center of Hampton Roads, Norfolk.

Old 01-10-2009, 08:01 AM

6,041 posts, read 11,469,840 times
I would like to live in any of those cities besides Charlotte, Virginia Beach, and Dallas.

Old 01-10-2009, 08:26 AM

12,997 posts, read 13,641,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
I still don't get VA Beach. Not taking anything away from the place, but I just don't get it. Hell, at least choose the true urban center of Hampton Roads, Norfolk.
Virginia Beach has lots of festivals in the summer on the beach front. The city also sets up free movie nights on the beaches for families. There's a lot going on every weekend during the summer. It's within driving distance of other locations during the winter months. When I lived there, I was right off of Atlantic Avenue. I might have not liked it as much if I were ten miles in from the shore.

Old 01-10-2009, 11:47 AM

40 posts, read 55,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by city_data91 View Post
I would like to live in any of those cities besides Charlotte, Virginia Beach, and Dallas.
Why would you not live in Charlotte? Not trying to argue, just curious.

Old 01-10-2009, 12:13 PM

3,343 posts, read 10,934,506 times
Since i'm not a big fan of heat i probably would never actually want to move down there. Of the cities listed i would probably say none of the above. I don't really like big new (as in lots of growth and transplants) or sprawling cities anyway........you wouldn't get me to live in Columbus, Ohio either. I'm really of fan of cities like Cleveland, Pittsburgh, etc. I like old homes, old architecture, and so on.

I like a place where the people share a common past. Like if i say, "remember when we had that tornado back in '85?" people know what you're talking about. I like that when i go to the mall, the grocery store, or out to dinner i'm going to run into people that i know. If i meet someone new, most likely they've lived here their whole life too and we may know some of the same people or we've lived through the same events.

Right now i live in a city of 45k people, i grew up in a town of 6,500 and i'm content here. It's not that i hate the south or southerners. I just like where i'm from and proud of my area and our history. Many people are fleeing the rust belt for the south, but it's mostly due to the job situation up here. Sure many of the transplants from my area love the warm weather (one of them is my brother), but i think if many of my peers from Northeast Ohio had a chance to have a good job here and raise their families here they would jump at the chance.

Many may say the rust belt is dying, but at least our cities have a soul............
I'm not saying that other cities and towns don't have a soul.........i just prefer the grit, the people, the four seasons and the soul of old industrial towns to new, shiny, transient towns.

Old 01-10-2009, 12:21 PM

8,155 posts, read 21,003,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LindseyG696 View Post
Probably for the same reasons you want to leave...just saying.

Old 01-10-2009, 12:28 PM

3,235 posts, read 8,715,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LindseyG696 View Post
I'm not speaking for that person but for me, Charlotte is too homongenous for me. Its too "new". I like places with older neighborhoods with character, ethnic enclaves and whatnot. Many of the places inside the city of Charlotte look too suburban for my tastes. Too many chain restaurants and gated communities.
Some people prefer that type of thing. I do not.

Old 01-10-2009, 12:44 PM

73,007 posts, read 62,585,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TANaples View Post
First of all, Rachael lives in Queens. Yes, it is a borough of NYC, but it is NOT Manhattan. Anything that she says about Queens, you can DOUBLE it for Manhattan. I am sure even she would agree with that.

Rachael was born in Queens, but we moved to LI when she was not quite 3 years ago. I, myself, spent the first 26 years of my life in Manhattan. My Mom lived there until she died. I took both my daughters into Manhattan all the time, not just to see their Grandma, but to experience what real "diversity" in life and culture was like, as opposed to LI. Although I loved LI (lived there 20 years), there is no place like MANHATTAN. Notice that I did not say NYC. When the vast majority of people speak of NYC, they are actually speaking about Manhattan, not the other 4 boroughs. We did live in Queens for 10 years. I really did not like Queens at all. For me, it was all of the negatives of Manhattan, without any of the positives.

To get back to the opinion about the South, and these are MY opinions, actually living in South Florida (GULF coast), if you can really even consider it to be the "south". I agree with her about the cuisine and getting anything you want at any time of the day or night. As I said before, DOUBLE what she said for Manhattan.

When I was a single, 20 something living in Manhattan, I had 2 very good friends from a small town (Columbia) in Tennessee. Is that the South? I would think so. The young woman came to NYC to escape the small town south and try to become an artist. The young man was gay. He left because he was harassed in his small town south. He came to NYC to find like minded "friends" and a tolerant society. He also wanted to break into music. Neither of them were able to make in NY and went back home eventually.

Yes, I know these are only two individual people, but they are very typical of people who come to NYC from the south. The streets are paved with gold and they have stars in their eyes. Then comes the reality. A whole lot of dreams are crashed. It is very difficult, even more so now, for a native to make it. Double that for a "transplant".

Anyway, I was very good friends with them. The woman was even one of my bridesmaides. Just a few observations. To meet either of them, you would think butter wouldn't melt. They both were such sweet talkers to anybody they ever met; in FRONT of their faces, that is. Once the person left? WOW. Those same buttery tongues could really lash out behind these peoples backs. I have found that to be very, very true for southerners, especially since living in Florida (NATIVES I know). This is a MAJOR difference between the south and north, particularly what is know as "NY attitude". There are no pretenses. We tend to say exactly what we mean and let the chips fall where they may. You will know exactly what a New Yorker is thinking. I used to say to my friends from Tenneesee all the time, "SAY what you MEAN". "Don't SUGARCOAT anything to me, or anybody else here." People here won't believe you, or TRUST you. That is the truth. I still feel that way 30+ years later and more so living here. I even said that to a neighbor of mine in Florida once. "Tell the damned woman how you really feel". "Stop sweet talking her". She looked at me like I had two heads.

I know some of you say you feel my daughter has the right to her opinion, but it is the way she said it that you object to. Well, that is the way we speak. We don't sugarcoat things. You may call that rude, and you are entitled to your opinion, but we are entitled to our opinion also.

As I said before, I don't want to live in South Florida for many, many reasons. The weather is the number one reason, but it is the "whole bag" so to speak.
NYC can be a difficult city for anyone coming from another place. I also understand why your two friends left their small towns in the South. I don't blame them. I also look at it from this. Yes, reality set in. When reality sets in, never give up. Try harder. I would have that advice to offer to your friends. They left because they saw the worlds they lived in as small and not being enough for them. I am not here to say it will be easy, but to never give up anyway. They returned home. It was their chioce. With that said, if it were me and it was my situation, I wouldn't go "home". I would try to stick it out or find another big city.

The "say what you mean" thing is one thing I find very true. Living in the South for a long time, I have found the sugarcoating of things quite common. Sometimes I wonder if someone is talking about me behind my back. One thing I found is that many people find it normal to say means things behind their friends' back and if it is someone they don't like, they say it to their face. That is how I often see it. I don't care for it.

Old 01-10-2009, 12:48 PM

8,900 posts, read 15,933,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate_lafitte View Post
The "say what you mean" thing is one thing I find very true. Living in the South for a long time, I have found the sugarcoating of things quite common. Sometimes I wonder if someone is talking about me behind my back. One thing I found is that many people find it normal to say means things behind their friends' back and if it is someone they don't like, they say it to their face. That is how I often see it. I don't care for it.

That's why I get so many negative comments from people from the south here. I'm open about how I feel about everything; I don't hold anything back. most NYers are brutally honest. Lots of people take us in the wrong way, but it's just the way we're raised. It's not that we're mean. I'm sure many people in the north feel the same way I do about living outside of their area and not wanting to go to the south for a few reasons, but I just have the nerve to explain every reason why. And in general I would rather have someone be brutally honest to my face than being nice and being fake about it.

That's why it's tough to make it out here. Many NYers are so honest and people take it in the wrong way. Try to make it in acting and you'll get tons of honest feedback. You'll hear it the way it is. People take it in the wrong way and move away; thinking that they couldn't make it in NY. It's the NY attitude that keeps you going because you know people are just being honest and it doesn't get you down.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.