Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which is the best?
Baltimore 37 30.58%
Cleveland 27 22.31%
Charlotte 57 47.11%
Voters: 121. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2009, 11:59 PM

1,374 posts, read 3,255,343 times

Advertisements

Hey, UrbanCharlotte!

I must give you my "props" tho ... you correctly and graciously offered your recognition that Cleveland is a beautiful metropolis, and indeed it is! I thank you for being a bit more objective that some of the other people posting on here.
A note of interest, my parents are natives of North Carolina and most of my relatives are scattered across the state, including metro Charlotte. My parents migrated to Cleveland in 1955 to seek prosperity, when Cleveland was an industrial "powerhouse". The times have changed alot, but my folks would never consider returning to North Carolina ... I guess they also recognize the outstanding assets and quality of life that we have here in northeast Ohio.
It's really about what makes you happy in life, right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2009, 12:14 AM

7,076 posts, read 12,347,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnDBaumgardner View Post
It's really about what makes you happy in life, right?
It is. And I used to live in Ohio BTW. I lived near Washington Court House (about 30 minutes SW of Columbus). I drove trucks out of a Walmart Distribution center there on US-35. I had MANY routes that took me up your way. I am very familiar with Cedar Point and Kings Island (down by Cincy). Ohio has the best Theme parks in the country IMO. I have also lived in Atlanta, Kentucky, and West Virginia before moving back to Charlotte (I grew up in Charlotte BTW).

I think Ohio is very underrated. Most folks don't realize how much it has to offer until they visit the state. I like Cleveland and Cincy the best.

However, when I moved up your way, I learned quickly that Ohio is kinda on the "downward" slide. I learned that I prefer an "upswing" state rather than a "downswing" state. Also, Charlotte is home (for now ).

Old 08-19-2009, 12:33 AM

You're a scholar and a gentleman, too bad you're still not with us! You're objective responses are refreshing to read ... thanks, and enjoy your happiness in Charlotte, as I continue to enjoy the life I cherish in Cleveland!

Old 08-19-2009, 12:37 AM

Default I think Ohio is very underrated ...

Hey, UrbanCharlotte!

Be sure to check out my new "Cleveland" album ... showcasing some of the assets, attributes and resources that make "Cleveland" such a special place to call home.

Many regards,

John

Old 08-19-2009, 10:30 AM

2,742 posts, read 6,751,692 times
Quote:
...A mistake by the lake"? Perhaps you were thinking of Charlottes "cess pool of a lake" ... what's that polluted body of water again ... oh, Lake Norman! hehe...
He He indeed. Charlotte has three beautiful and vibrant lakefront areas, full of homes, condos, parks and the like…

Old 08-19-2009, 12:12 PM

2,742 posts, read 6,751,692 times
Quote:
Hey, "Carolina Blue" ... are you feeling "blue" because life in that overblown city of Charlotte has gotten you down? When one is "feeling blue" ( hence your screen name: "Carolina Blue" ) that usually is meant as being "down and out" ... awwwwwwww, that's really too bad for you...
You mean to tell me you folks in Big 10 country don't know anything about "Carolina Blue"...I think you do...

Old 08-19-2009, 02:02 PM

8,180 posts, read 14,868,193 times
Quote:
My parents migrated to Cleveland in 1955 to seek prosperity, when Cleveland was an industrial "powerhouse". The times have changed alot, but my folks would never consider returning to North Carolina
They usually change their minds once they actually come down and see all the progress that has been made with their own eyes. I can't tell you how many stories I've heard like that from Northerners who made the move down here.

Old 08-19-2009, 02:29 PM

Quote:
You can't compare cities like Charlotte, Atlanta or even Phoenix to a city with the history, resources and the stature of Cleveland ... it's an unbalanced comparison for many different reasons.
Of course you can. But cities like the ones you mentioned are just more focused on creating a grand and glorious history for itself NOW rather than just resting on past accomplishments.

Quote:
You are absolutely correct in stating that Charlotte continues to experience growth, while the population of Cleveland has continued to experience a steady decline. This has much more to do with the state of our "countries economy" and the fact that "most people" prefer to live in a climate that offers warmer temps and less snow ... which Charlotte handily wins.
If that's the case, why aren't all Northern/Midwestern cities seeing the type of decline that Cleveland has been experiencing? Cleveland simply couldn't get its act together in time to avoid decline while other cities just as historic and urban as Cleveland were able to do so.

Quote:
When I say that it's an unbalanced comparison, it truly is ... burgeoning Charlotte has stature in its own right, but it will never command the same level of stature that Cleveland "still has".
"Never"? What is that prediction based on? Charlotte has already surpassed Cleveland economically and has the potential to pass it in terms of mass transit and other areas. We'll just keep chugging right along while you think it can "never" happen.

Quote:
"We here in Cleveland" were a burgeoning metropolis during a time when the cattle were still grazing in what is now Charlottes city centre.
This shows how little you know about Charlotte. Charlotte was first settled in 1755 and incorporated in 1768. Cleveland was first incorporated in 1814. Being a more industrial city, Cleveland certainly boomed well before Charlotte (in the 1860's), but no, our center city was NOT a cow pasture during that time. But even with that in mind, look how much we've narrowed the gap in terms of population and economy (even surpassing you on that last front) within such a short period of time. What happened, Cleveland?

Quote:
Charlotte is still feeling lofty ( just like Cleveland once had ) but just wait until the continued economic stresses that are enveloping our country, begin to wear and whither on this self described "Emerald City" of the new south
Hell, if it's going to shake us to our knees, then it seems like such stresses will do even more damage to Cleveland since it's already doing poorly, don't you think?

Quote:
In the interest of being fair minded, you seem to enjoy pointing out how Cleveland is in the throes of depression and how multitudes of people continue to flee this very "proud city" ... but don't feel too overly confident there in Charlotte ... what occurred in Cleveland, Detroit, Pittsburgh and many other cities ... CAN ALSO OCCUR IN A CITY LIKE CHARLOTTE! "Sometimes the tallest of us all ... takes an unexpected tumble" ... just like what has happened here.
What happened to you guys wasn't unavoidable. As I stated, several of your regional peers are doing much better than y'all.

Quote:
What Cleveland does offer to those "brave enough" to venture here, is an unparralled wealth of history, vast natural resources, a dynamic urban center with bountiful beauty ... and also lots of HOPE for a rebirth, rediscovery and a complete renaissance!
And that's nice, really it is. Personally, I'd just prefer to experience that as a visitor, not a resident.

Quote:
It's already happening here too ... Cleveland is at the very forefront of medical care and we are NOW diversifying our economy
I hope it pays off handsomely for you guys in the long run.

Old 08-19-2009, 03:11 PM

2,106 posts, read 6,631,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post

What happened to you guys wasn't unavoidable. As I stated, several of your regional peers are doing much better than y'all.
Who? The industrial jobs got outsourced offshore. Cities who based their economy on blue collar jobs all suffered.. Cleveland, Detroit, Akron, Youngstown, Buffalo, etc.. Who are the regional peers who are doing much better than Ohio? I'm sure you are going to list regions that WERE not as deeply rooted in the industrial era as you'd wish to believe. I'm not sure why you believe you are always right... Out of the cities cities who were major players in the Rust belt, only Chicago is doing better, if not for the sheer size of the city and region. Please don't give me "Columbus, Indianapolis, St Paul-Minneapolis" because those cities are irrelevant. They may be located within the rust belt according to some pictures you find on the internet, but they weren't based off industrial industries. "Regional" has little meaning...

Old 08-20-2009, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeSoHood View Post
Who? The industrial jobs got outsourced offshore. Cities who based their economy on blue collar jobs all suffered.. Cleveland, Detroit, Akron, Youngstown, Buffalo, etc.. Who are the regional peers who are doing much better than Ohio? I'm sure you are going to list regions that WERE not as deeply rooted in the industrial era as you'd wish to believe. I'm not sure why you believe you are always right... Out of the cities cities who were major players in the Rust belt, only Chicago is doing better, if not for the sheer size of the city and region. Please don't give me "Columbus, Indianapolis, St Paul-Minneapolis" because those cities are irrelevant. They may be located within the rust belt according to some pictures you find on the internet, but they weren't based off industrial industries. "Regional" has little meaning...
Oh well, I guess it wasn't unavoidable then. That makes the situation even sadder.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.