Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2009, 08:30 AM

54 posts, read 190,089 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kazoopilot View Post
Most people think of the Midwest as flat, landlocked, and boring; but this is not true. We have several mountain ranges, including the Appalachians in Ohio, the Porcupines (Porkies) in Michigan, the Ozarks in Missouri, and the Black Hills in South Dakota. We also have more coastline than the west or east coast, with the great lakes. Specifically, Michigan has mountains and beaches, but is often overlooked because it's NOT on one of the coasts and has a temperate climate. If Michigan was next to Florida or California, it would probably be a huge vacation spot.
And if Detroit was next to Orlando it would be a huge vacation spot, right? There is a reason the middle of the country is not the first choice for a vacation and if people don't want to go there for a vacation then they probably don't want to move there either. Beaches in Michigan don't compare to Florida beaches and the mountains in the midwest don't compare to the Rockies.

Old 06-15-2009, 08:30 AM

3,742 posts, read 8,398,001 times
Quote:
Most people think of the Midwest as flat, landlocked, and boring; but this is not true. We have several mountain ranges, including the Appalachians in Ohio, the Porcupines (Porkies) in Michigan, the Ozarks in Missouri, and the Black Hills in South Dakota. We also have more coastline than the west or east coast, with the great lakes. Specifically, Michigan has mountains and beaches, but is often overlooked because it's NOT on one of the coasts and has a temperate climate. If Michigan was next to Florida or California, it would probably be a huge vacation spot.
Don't forget the Ohio valley either in Southern Illinois, Indiana, and Ohio! Also, Northern Minnesota and Northern Wisconsin are very hilly. There is also the unglaciated parts of Iowa, Illinois, Minnesota, and Wisconsin, not to mention the river bluffs along the Upper Mississippi. Also, the Ozarks extend to a small extent into Southern Illinois. But yeah, hehe the kazoo speaks the truth...listen to it/him sound out and the truth about the Midwest you shall hear

Old 06-15-2009, 08:42 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,019,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mackinac81 View Post
I've grown up in the midwest my whole life, but I often get the impression that people don't like it that much. It's not like I have a chip on my shoulder, but it seems like the midwest, overall is maligned more than other regions. We're the "rust belt", boring, with bumpkin-ish people, the land is boring etc...

So why does the Midwest get a bum rap from so many people--or is it just in my head?

mackinac
The National news media types don't get out of the big city hotels/restaurants when they visit the midwest. They don't talk to people outside of big cities. When they cover a midwest story it's always a weather incident or major crime. I love it when they go on the primary trail or to a national convention and have zero analysis from people who live there about how "their local people" will vote and why. Instead, you have DC and NY wonks trying to make sense out of places they know nothing about and haven't even attempted to visit as a part of their job. They have stereotyped small town America so much that when things happen there that doesn't match their big city perspective, they go off their nut, they're in such shock.

Old 06-15-2009, 08:45 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,737,789 times
I haven't spent much time there. I've generally avoided it because it is far from the ocean, mostly flat, and very cold for a good portion of the year. I don't perceive it as having any cultural "flair" that's significantly different from what I could experience here - compared to the west coast, Europe, Australia, etc.

Last edited by le roi; 06-15-2009 at 09:13 AM..

Old 06-15-2009, 08:50 AM

139 posts, read 470,647 times
Quote:
Maybe I should have been more clear, By beach I mean ocean and by mountains I mean 14,000+ foot snowcapped peaks. This is what appeals to people by what they've seen in photos, however some of the places you described are equally beautiful in the fact you don't see them plastered all over postcards from __________(<---Insert overcrowded tourist hellhole) Take the Iron Range in NE Minnesota and the rocky lakeshore(s) on Superior. Michigan is the worst for preconcieved notions, but in my opinion is one of the most beautiful states in the country. Oklahoma, Kansas, Nebraska, North and South Dakota are widely considered featureless wastelands, and people who draw those conclusions could not be more wrong. I like these areas because most other people don't like them.

Old 06-15-2009, 09:20 AM

12,384 posts, read 28,521,087 times
Most of the area to me is pretty boring, while I LOVED Chicago...I didn't find much reason the years living there to go anywhere in the region BUT Chicago... The outdoor stuff was also rather lacking and boring, yes it exists but the quality ...not so much. In the context of the states I have lived most of my life in FL, California, eastern PA... so, compared to those states, yeah... pretty boring outdoor landscapes, weather was a big step down too (at least in my experience around Chicago).

I dated a girl from Ohio and thought it was particular boring and vanilla when I visited for a few weeks and we went around there.

Old 06-15-2009, 09:34 AM

4,593 posts, read 9,199,422 times
Because of the attitude of the midwest and like other said about the landscape. Compare to California, Seattle, and some of the East Coast, the midwest is behind when it becomes to progressive thinking. The segregation, jobs, and some even said we are lacking in fashion sense. Even great Chicago is critisize of its overwhelming segregation/bigotry by many people including MLK. Just being known as a friendly, hard working, and ordinary people region is not going to take you far in people recognizing it in a country like this. Outside of Chicago and maybe Minneapolis, a lot of people don't won't nothing to do with the midwest or don't expect much from it.

Last edited by Chicagoland60426; 06-15-2009 at 09:47 AM..

Old 06-15-2009, 09:41 AM

2,247 posts, read 7,030,789 times
People are stupid.

I mean, that's pretty much it.

Old 06-15-2009, 10:29 AM

5,984 posts, read 13,417,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pavejon View Post
Beaches in Michigan don't compare to Florida beaches
You're right. The beaches in Michigan are far superior. I have been to beaches in Florida, Georgia, California, Jamaica, Michigan, and South Carolina; and Michigan beaches were by FAR the most beautiful.

Quote:
and the mountains in the midwest don't compare to the Rockies.
They are much greener than the semi-arid mountains of the West. Also, they are hikable. You don't need to be an experienced climber to enjoy the mountains of the Midwest.

Last edited by northstar22; 06-15-2009 at 10:35 AM.. Reason: GRAMMAR!!!

Old 06-15-2009, 10:36 AM

5,984 posts, read 13,417,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagoland60426 View Post
Because of the attitude of the midwest and like other said about the landscape. Compare to California, Seattle, and some of the East Coast, the midwest is behind when it becomes to progressive thinking. The segregation, jobs, and some even said we are lacking in fashion sense. Even great Chicago is critisize of its overwhelming segregation/bigotry by many people including MLK. Just being known as a friendly, hard working, and ordinary people region is not going to take you far in people recognizing it in a country like this. Outside of Chicago and maybe Minneapolis, a lot of people don't won't nothing to do with the midwest or don't expect much from it.
Yet these same people LOVE the South, which is far "less progressive" than the Midwest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.