Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2009, 02:09 PM

840 posts, read 2,086,686 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overcooked_Oatmeal View Post
Then what exactly is "culture" to you?
A culture to me a is a group of People with similar likes and Dislikes who are seen as a culture from a outsider.

No I do not see a bunch of intellectuals as a culture because they do not have the same likes and dislikes, and if they do than they are few and far between. ANd I would never say Intellectuals were elitist, maybe a little full of themselves but not elitist.

And yes "Crunk" is part of the Hip Hop culture,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2009, 02:14 PM

517 posts, read 1,318,883 times
I know the Bay Area as a whole has been trying to host the Olympics. Since SF is so small they proposed using all the sports venues in the entire Bay Area. I think it would be nice.

Old 11-12-2009, 02:15 PM

965 posts, read 1,886,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgyeldell View Post
A culture to me a is a group of People with similar likes and Dislikes who are seen as a culture from a outsider.

No I do not see a bunch of intellectuals as a culture because they do not have the same likes and dislikes, and if they do than they are few and far between. ANd I would never say Intellectuals were elitist, maybe a little full of themselves but not elitist.

And yes "Crunk" is part of the Hip Hop culture,

So are you saying that Boston has no culture at all? Hilarious...

I think San Francisco would be a great place to host the Olympics, but it would be a logistical and NIMBY nightmare.

Old 11-12-2009, 02:25 PM

2,023 posts, read 4,188,234 times
Quote:
Exactly my point. Dallas is on average, 96 degrees in July and August.

Beijing's average July Temperature is about 78 degrees.

I guess The Galleria could count as "scenery" in Dallas for some...
Did you not read Spade's comment in addressing the heat issue?

Quit being a smarta**. You really don't know what your talking about. You could have at least referred to The New Cowboys Stadium which would definitely be a piece of scenery. That and the numerous other stadiums in DFW is one of the main reasons why I would say Dallas has a shot.
If you must know, the scenery in The Metroplex would be things like

Fort Worth:
The skyline
Kimble Art Museum
Art Museum of Fort Worth
The Marty Leonard Chapel
Fort Worth Water Gardens
Southwest architecture

Dallas:
The Skyline
Fountain Place
Reunion Tower
Fair Park
The Wyly Theater (recently completed)
The Dallas Opera (also recently completed)
The rest of the Museum District

That is JUST A FEW places Dallas and Fort Worth that come to mind. Many many many more place I could bring up. As for land scape, is relativity flat but Dallas there are a lot of trees and forest in the area and The Meroplex is very green during the summer. There are also several very BEAUTIFUL large lakes in around Dallas which would be very beneficial for several Olympic sports In addition, Dallas has several MAJOR projects in the works right now including:

-Numerous projects going up and proposed in the museum district that will turn The Dallas Museum District into the largest concentration of museums in the country.
-The Trinity River Park project which when completed, will be the largest urban park in the country and will rival the best of the best.
-The light rail expansion which will be finished in 2010 and will consist of over 100 miles of LT rail. It will most likely be added onto after that.

Also did I not mention that Dallas has over 12 BILLION dollars worth of urban development projects that should be completed by 2012? And that is JUST Dallas. There is also a city of over 700,000 people that has there own public transportation, urban development, and massive park projects under way. Also, if Dallas where to host the Olympics, don't you think they would WAY over play the whole cowboy and wild west thing? That would really annoy everyone in Texas and many Americans but you know Europeans and Asians would love that.

I think I need to just keep a word document about Dallas (and Houston and the whole state of Texas for that matter) on my desk top so I can copy and past on to these boards because it seems like the same information has to be repeated over and over and over on these boards to people who are COMPLETELY oblivious about Dallas and Texas. I don't expect most people to know all of those things, but would at least expect for everyone to know that there are SOME interesting things about Dallas.

Old 11-12-2009, 02:32 PM

840 posts, read 2,086,686 times
Quote:
So are you saying that Boston has no culture at all? Hilarious...

WOW Did I say that Boston has no culture? NO I DID NOT, I dont know where you read that. But I will say Boston has no culture that interest me or my friends or Family.

Hey, but Boston may interest you if you like, Red Sox, Classical Music, or Hardcore Punk Rock.

Old 11-12-2009, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpmeads View Post

Quit being a smarta**. You really don't know what your talking about. You could have at least referred to The New Cowboys Stadium which would definitely be a piece of scenery. That and the numerous other stadiums in DFW is one of the main reasons why I would say Dallas has a shot.

Fort Worth:
The skyline
Kimble Art Museum
Art Museum of Fort Worth
The Marty Leonard Chapel
Fort Worth Water Gardens
Southwest architecture

Dallas:
The Skyline
Fountain Place
Reunion Tower
Fair Park

That is JUST A FEW places Dallas and Fort Worth that come to mind. Many many many more place I could bring up. As for land scape, is relativity flat but Dallas there are a lot of trees and forest in the area and The Meroplex is very green during the summer. There are also several very BEAUTIFUL large lakes in around Dallas which would be very beneficial for several Olympic sports In addition, Dallas has several MAJOR projects in the works right now including:

-Numerous projects going up and proposed in the museum district that will turn The Dallas Museum District into the largest concentration of museums in the country.
-The Trinity River Park project which when completed, will be the largest urban park in the country and will rival the best of the best.
-The light rail expansion which will be finished in 2010 and will consist of over 100 miles of LT rail. It will most likely be added onto after that.

Also did I not mention that Dallas has over 12 BILLION dollars worth of urban development projects that should be completed by 2012? And that is JUST Dallas. There is also a city of over 700,000 people that has there own public transportation, urban development, and massive park projects under way. Also, if Dallas where to host the Olympics, don't you think they would WAY over play the whole cowboy and wild west thing? That would really annoy everyone in Texas and many Americans but you know Europeans and Asians would love that.

I think I need to just keep a word document about Dallas (and Houston and the whole state of Texas for that matter) on my desk top so I can copy and past on to these boards because it seems like the same information has to be repeated over and over and over on these boards to people who are COMPLETELY oblivious about Dallas and Texas. I don't expect most people to know all of those things, but would at least expect for everyone to know that there are SOME interesting things about Dallas.
Moderator cut: off topic/personal

And yes, I read Spade's comments about holding the Olympics in September, but since Dallas is still in the upper 80's to 90's during that time of the year, no dice. I guess we can hold the Summer Olympics in October then? Yeah, that makes sense...

Also, since I LIVED in Dallas for 6 years until this summer, I was aware of many of the projects that are going on in the area, so spare me the lecture as you have nothing to prove to me. While these will make for a viable, livable, more cultured city in the future, those factors have no bearing on whether or not it would make a city viable for the Olympics. Nice try.

Many of the factors that the IOC did not like about Atlanta hosting the Olympics would be the very same factors that would make Dallas an unattractive prospect for the Olympics, since it seems that the IOC learned many lessons from 1996.

Also, didn't Dallas try to bid for the 2012 Olympics, but was knocked out of one of the earlier rounds? But Houston actually did make it as one of the four finalists for the US cities (but it ultimately went to London).

NEXT...

Last edited by Bo; 07-12-2010 at 09:16 AM..

Old 11-12-2009, 02:49 PM

2,023 posts, read 4,188,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustCallMeTC View Post
Look, I hate to sound like I'm dissing Dallas, but c'mon. There is no scenery in DFW. I mean really. It's a God Forsaken barren wasteland with steel and glass.

Can you say no trees? And please don't tell me it's not hot in Dallas in the summer.

I remember going to a Ranger's game several years back. Randy Johnson was pitching against Nolan Ryan. When I got to the park at about 730, the sun was already setting. The temperature was 99 degrees. NO BREEZE. Sweltering hot. I was miserable the entire game roasting my ass off. The game ended after 10pm. Sun had been down for almost 3 hours. It had cooled way down to 97 degrees. I sprinted to my car to turn on the AC

For normal human beings, I'd say that's hot alright.
Lol! That's Arlington. That part of the DFW is a boring, dull, and "God forsaken barren wasteland," but if the Olympics where to be held in Dallas, the main stadium would be have to be in Arlington I would think. So as part of Dallas' bid, they would HAVE to be a lot of urban and landscape development in Arlington. I know Beijing did the same thing and I believe Atlanta as well.

As for the temperature issue, I think most people missed this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
People do know that they don't have to hold the Olympics in the middle of the summer right? The Summer Olympics can be held in September. Heck, a couple went into early October.

Old 11-12-2009, 02:54 PM

2,352 posts, read 2,279,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wpmeads View Post

Fort Worth:
The skyline
Kimble Art Museum
Art Museum of Fort Worth
The Marty Leonard Chapel
Fort Worth Water Gardens
Southwest architecture

Dallas:
The Skyline
Fountain Place
Reunion Tower
Fair Park

That is JUST A FEW places Dallas and Fort Worth that come to mind. Many many many more place I could bring up. As for land scape, is relativity flat but Dallas there are a lot of trees and forest in the area and The Meroplex is very green during the summer.

Hilarious. Lots of trees? Green in the summer? Forest in Dallas?

Apparently the terms scenery, greenery, forest and trees are very much open to interpretation.

I might suggest you venture out of the metroplex a little more often.

It's a big, bad world out there.

Bigger than Dallas!

Old 11-12-2009, 02:54 PM

7,845 posts, read 20,810,197 times
Dallas seems like a good choice...I think Washington D.C. would be as well. I hope Chicago tries again - I think they probably learned a lot from the failed bid and could come back with something stronger...and Chicago would be a great Olympic city.

Old 11-12-2009, 02:58 PM

And again, I will reiterate:

Quote:
I knew some people in the Dallas area were really oblivious to how hot it can get there in the summertime compared to other areas, but not this oblivious. People were complaining about Atlanta's heat and humidity during the 1996 Olympics, so I can't imagine what they'd think of Dallas, which is in one of the hottest regions of the country outside of the Lower Mojave in the summertime. There have been days of temperatures where it was over 100 degrees. Not very optimal for strenuous athletic activity.
North Texas can still get quite hot in September and depending on the year, well into early October. The press would have a field day with the news clips of passed out athletes roasting in the Texas sun.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.