Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2009, 11:34 PM

5,546 posts, read 9,506,351 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
Ok, fellow Southerners...

I am a forth genertion Texas...and a Southerner to the nth degree of ancestry.

Here is a question to my fellow natives:

Does sugar have a place in cornbread and/or grits.?

I got into it today with somebody who insisted sugar was part of cornbread. I disagree. And I will until hell freezed over.

Sugar in the South has its place. The Sugar Bowl or the sugar bowl. Or the Cotton Bowl, and maybe to make cotton-candy. But NOT in grits or cornbread. Hell, it makes the latter become poundcake. And the former turn into cream of wheat.

Now, I will be the first to admit I don't care all that much for grits. But by dammed if I will tolerate yankees gettin' too uppity 'bout 'em...

And NO sugar

What say y'all?
Cornbread = no! "Take that sugar out of my cornbread and put in my tea, please!" hahaha

Grits = well my friend, you have called me out before on this one....my own parents call me a Yankee for putting sugar in mine from time to time....I can eat 'em and like 'em either way.....my folks, like other Southern purists, insist salt/pepper only....every once and while with some cheese mixed in there too........

So, go on and laugh it up and call me a Yank, 'ol Friend!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2009, 09:13 AM

7,731 posts, read 14,365,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TANaples View Post
Grits sound like the old Cream of Wheat. My Mom made me eat that in NY in the 50 to fatten me up when I was a kid. I detested it even with maple syrup and brown sugar. YUCK. I would rather eat cornbread with a bit of butter than that gooy slop. Ewwwwww.
You being Italian, I would assume you realize that grits are the exact same thing as polenta. The only difference is the color - white instead of yellow.

Old 11-16-2009, 09:56 AM

6,023 posts, read 14,067,614 times
If you make grits thick enough you can make little grit cakes and fry them in a pan. Drizzle with a spicy lobster sauce or a cheese sauce. Serve them as a side dish to a marinated, charcoal grilled beef fillet with a small mixed greens salad with an olive oil/balsamic vinegar/honey dressing. I know it seems a bit foofie and doesn't sound very southern but it is another good use for grits.
I did not get this dish idea or the recipes from a web site or a TV show. This dish is MY baby !

Old 11-16-2009, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickers View Post
If you make grits thick enough you can make little grit cakes and fry them in a pan. Drizzle with a spicy lobster sauce or a cheese sauce. Serve them as a side dish to a marinated, charcoal grilled beef fillet with a small mixed greens salad with an olive oil/balsamic vinegar/honey dressing. I know it seems a bit foofie and doesn't sound very southern but it is another good use for grits.
I did not get this dish idea or the recipes from a web site or a TV show. This dish is MY baby !
It may be foofie, but it sounds damn good to me!

My Mom taught me to refrigerate grits in tupperware overnight, and then to cut them into cakes and fry them. I've incorporated them into all kinds of wonderful recipes.

My fave is probably serving them with garlic grilled shrimp and a butterbean dill hummus. Sort of Southern, but slap-your-grandmother good either way.

Old 11-16-2009, 10:07 AM

1,359 posts, read 3,722,057 times
grits are digusting. Ate it just once and nearly hurled. I've never had cornbread before.

Old 11-16-2009, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpterp View Post
grits are digusting. Ate it just once and nearly hurled. I've never had cornbread before.
Yeah, they're really disgusting.

That's why you can find them on the menus of many of the country's top restaurants from coast to coast.

Not to mention the many authentic Italian restaurants pushing the equally disgusting and dreaded polenta.

Last edited by johnatl; 11-16-2009 at 10:46 AM..

Old 11-16-2009, 10:14 AM

4,277 posts, read 11,787,860 times
I put maple syrup in my grits at home! Or cheese, but not both.

When I used to make a lot of cornbread I would put rosemary in it.

Old 11-16-2009, 10:38 AM

7,845 posts, read 20,810,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
Yeah, they're realing disgusting.

That's why you can find them on the menus of many of the country's top restaurants from coast to coast.

Not to mention the many authentic Italian restaurants pushing the equally disgusting and dreaded polenta.
How can ground corn be disgusting anyway? It sounds like someone who is afraid of being associated with anything southern...you know, one of those people who will argue until next year that Maryland is part of the Northeast.

Old 11-16-2009, 10:44 AM

370 posts, read 1,010,393 times
Sugar in cornbread is a must for me. In grits? No thank you.

Old 11-16-2009, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
How can ground corn be disgusting anyway? It sounds like someone who is afraid of being associated with anything southern...you know, one of those people who will argue until next year that Maryland is part of the Northeast.
Thank you. And your assumption would be correct, imo.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.