U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 01-08-2010, 09:13 AM
 
Location: Concrete jungle where dreams are made of.
8,900 posts, read 13,242,279 times
Reputation: 1819

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
You really should think twice before you comment on subjects you know absolutely nothing about.

They use formulas to come up with these figures. NY simply doesn't have the number of rooms to host this many people. As I have already mentioned, there are thousands of DAILY visitors that fly in and out. They're counted, but they don't stay overnight.

And sorry, but Atlanta hosts between 34 - 37 million overnight visitors per year, a figure MUCH more impressive than NY's per capita, given our size differences.

Funny that you would bring up Atlanta. Are you threatened by us now too?

No, because you bring up cities to compete against NY, but never use your own city as an example. It's because you know Atlanta can't compete with NY in anything. I think it's funny.

And Atlanta's visitors are mostly workers going to conventions. My dad has been there many times for that reason.

It doesn't have the number of rooms to host that many people because there's not 2 people for every room. I've been going on trip advisor NYC for 5 years now, and most of the trip reports mention how they cram the people in rooms in order to save money since the rooms are expensive.

 
Old 01-08-2010, 09:35 AM
 
Location: Atlanta
7,732 posts, read 12,154,259 times
Reputation: 2774
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
No, because you bring up cities to compete against NY, but never use your own city as an example. It's because you know Atlanta can't compete with NY in anything. I think it's funny.

And Atlanta's visitors are mostly workers going to conventions. My dad has been there many times for that reason.

It doesn't have the number of rooms to host that many people because there's not 2 people for every room. I've been going on trip advisor NYC for 5 years now, and most of the trip reports mention how they cram the people in rooms in order to save money since the rooms are expensive.
LOL!!!! Now you are REALLY reaching.

Because your Dad supposedly attented a convention here, you claim to know the dynamics of ALL visitors to Atlanta? LOL!

Atlanta can and does compete with NY in several categories, actually blowing NY OUT OF THE WATER when it comes to conventions AND number of hotel rooms. You can throw in the wholesale trade market that takes place at Americasmart. You'll have to look it up though, as I'm sure you've never heard of it.

Your use of interesting but unprovable anecdotes is amusing as always, but hardly factual. Musings from your Dad's supposed trips and reading a blog on Trip Advisor is hardly proof of anything.
 
Old 01-08-2010, 09:39 AM
 
886 posts, read 1,924,504 times
Reputation: 317
Quote:
Originally Posted by wpmeads View Post
If you over the age of 12, I'm not sure why you would pick a vacation in Disney World or Disneyland over New York.
I am not saying i'd pick Disney World over NYC.... but i'm in my 20s and still love going to Disneyworld... I always have fun....
 
Old 01-08-2010, 09:48 AM
 
Location: Atlanta
7,732 posts, read 12,154,259 times
Reputation: 2774
Quote:
Originally Posted by skrizzle View Post
I am not saying i'd pick Disney World over NYC.... but i'm in my 20s and still love going to Disneyworld... I always have fun....
People seem to be forgetting that there is so much more to Disney than the Magic Kingdom. Epcot, Animal Kingdom and Disney Studios are all huge parks in their own right.

Disney World is huge, at 27,000 acres of land. This is almost exactly twice the size of two Manhattan Islands placed side by side.

Add in all the other parks and attractions (many of which are expanding), and it's easy to see why Orlando has been the top tourism destination for several decades now, and neck and neck with Vegas for most hotel rooms in the world.

Orlando will most certainly regain the number 1 spot. Corporate America is betting on it.
 
Old 01-08-2010, 09:53 AM
 
Location: Concrete jungle where dreams are made of.
8,900 posts, read 13,242,279 times
Reputation: 1819
Do you really think people JUST fly to Atlanta to see the coke factory? that's like the main attraction. Trust me, I've been to Atlanta many times. It's nothing that special. The other poster mentioned how Atlanta is known for conventions. It's obviously known to be one of the places for conventions. Not just from my dad going there for work-related stuff.
 
Old 01-08-2010, 10:00 AM
 
Location: Atlanta
7,732 posts, read 12,154,259 times
Reputation: 2774
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
Do you really think people JUST fly to Atlanta to see the coke factory? that's like the main attraction. Trust me, I've been to Atlanta many times. It's nothing that special. The other poster mentioned how Atlanta is known for conventions. It's obviously known to be one of the places for conventions. Not just from my dad going there for work-related stuff.
You just need to stop before you embarrass yourself any further.

You have proven many, many times in many, many threads that you are absolutely unqualified to speak on anything remotely related to Atlanta.

And by the way, there is no Coke factory. It's a museum/product showcase called the World of Coke. And no, it is NOT our main attraction.

Just goes to show yet again that you have no idea what you are talking about here.

The Georgia Aquarium is by FAR our #1 tourist attraction. Being the world's largest would sort of lend itself to that, don't you think?
 
Old 01-08-2010, 10:40 AM
 
Location: Concrete jungle where dreams are made of.
8,900 posts, read 13,242,279 times
Reputation: 1819
Wow, I need to book a $200 round trip ticket to see the world's largest aquarium and the Coke museum. Whoopdeedo.

I'm not embarrassing myself. Others on this thread have agreed with me. You're the only one backing up your claims.

Now please leave my thread because you're contributing nothing.
 
Old 01-08-2010, 10:58 AM
 
Location: Hernando, FL
749 posts, read 2,100,592 times
Reputation: 534
Looks like NY wins next year again.....thanks to Disney. A new Disney megastore in Times Square.....oh the horror. Imagine the dissapointment when local NY kids and kids from around the world realize that it isn't the real deal like in Orlando.......life scarring for sure.

the.LIFE Files - "Welcome To Exclusiveness" — The world's most exclusive site. We are pop culture.
 
Old 01-08-2010, 11:00 AM
 
Location: THE THRONE aka-New York City
3,012 posts, read 5,320,833 times
Reputation: 1143
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
That's what happens when a huge chunk of your visitors are day-trippers. High hotel bills hardly matter when you live within a train ride or driving distance.

And the number 1 spot is going to be short-lived, due to the recession.

People coming in from just beyond the NY metro can technically be called tourists, that's how NY is #1 this year. Another reason why other much smaller cities have more hotel rooms, they have more overnight visitors.
I think u need to fall back. This thread proves how its not new yorkers who are the bad ones. Dudes like this justcause,machiaveli etc get new yorkers started

How do you know most are day trippers. NYC gets 8 million plus international visits, way more than atlanta or any other city in the US. Nycs tourist numbers are impressive period. That whole day trip business is just nitpicking. Even if it was a'lot of people visiting the city during the day, it doesnt make it any less impressive

Your comparing a city to the biggest 24/7 365 theme parks in the world. The fact ny is number one is impressive no matter how you slice it.

Also ATL has to get past san fran,chicago,la,dc,houston before it can even think about touching new york. So we dont wanna hear about it in threads that have nothing to do with it. Compared to new york atl is the suburbs fall back
 
Old 01-08-2010, 11:11 AM
 
Location: Concrete jungle where dreams are made of.
8,900 posts, read 13,242,279 times
Reputation: 1819
Quote:
Originally Posted by K.O.N.Y View Post
I think u need to fall back. This thread proves how its not new yorkers who are the bad ones. Dudes like this justcause,machiaveli etc get new yorkers started

How do you know most are day trippers. NYC gets 8 million plus international visits, way more than atlanta or any other city in the US. Nycs tourist numbers are impressive period. That whole day trip business is just nitpicking. Even if it was a'lot of people visiting the city during the day, it doesnt make it any less impressive

Your comparing a city to the biggest 24/7 365 theme parks in the world. The fact ny is number one is impressive no matter how you slice it.

Also ATL has to get past san fran,chicago,la,dc,houston before it can even think about touching new york. So we dont wanna hear about it in threads that have nothing to do with it. Compared to new york atl is the suburbs fall back
It's always the same 2 posters saying the same false nonsense. There's a huge inferiority/jealousy issue here. You're right, and so are the 5 or so other people who have agreed with us Luckily we never come across people like them in real life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top